Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #61
spence

Remember, 3-4 want-to-posts for every real post.

-spence
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #62
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Everything I've read indicates the security situation was due to sectarian violence, not violence directed specifically at the US or Jim's large number of armed terrorists out to kill diplomats.

-spence
Pants On Fire: Obama Scrambles For Cover As Benghazi Lie Explodes - Forbes

In addition to absolutely no evidence that the attack was connected to any objectionable video, information released in a letter from Representative Darrell Issa to Secretary of State Clinton shows that the situation in Libya had been deteriorating for months. It reads: “Based on information provided to the committee by individuals with direct knowledge of events in Libya, the attack that claimed the ambassador’s life was the latest in a long line of attacks on Western diplomats and officials in Libya in the months leading up to September 11, 2012.”

Those attacks began in April when two Libyans threw an improvised explosive device into the consulate compound. In June, postings on a pro-Gaddafi Facebook page encouraged Libyans to attack Ambassador Stevens during one of his early morning runs around Tripoli. And in the weeks leading up to September 11th, Libyan guards were being warned by their family members to quit their consulate jobs because of rumors about an impending attack. These are but a few of the escalating series of incidents. There were also carjackings, shoot-outs, and even a rocket-propelled grenade being shot at a convoy carrying the British ambassador.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes, stationed in Tripoli. But we're also talking about a small number of agents.

Everything I've read indicates the security situation was due to sectarian violence, not violence directed specifically at the US or Jim's large number of armed terrorists out to kill diplomats.

You guys will say anything if it makes Obama look bad, you're like MoveOn on steroids.

-spence
Spence, you said Stevens had a false sense of security. That's your opinion. The fact is, he requested more personal security.

Wrong. For example, I have repeatedly given him kudos for using drone strikes to kill terrorists. I am fair. You are the biased one, who will say anything (even blaming an assassinated anbassador) to deflect any criticismof Obama.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #64
Piscator

Hillary just came out and is taking 100% of the blame for this.....great timing the night before the debate, not sure it will help much...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #65
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Hillary just came out and is taking 100% of the blame for this.....great timing the night before the debate, not sure it will help much...
as she should, it will be interesting to see if there are any consequences for her failure or if, as politicians often do, "pro"claiming to take responsibility for something and then assume "that is that"...move along... she's just made the man who blames everyone else for whatever is wrong appear even smaller if that were even possible, there's still the little issue of all of the intentional misinformation in the aftermath, that falls on the White House and is other part of this entire mess.... maybe Valerie Jarrett(since she appears to make all of the decisions up there) will take
"100% repsonsiblity" for that one, should help with the female vote

OUCH!!!
Poll: Romney, narrows gap with women, leads Obama in the swing states

I disagree with Hillary on many things but I respect her, she has far more courage, devotion and integrity than her boss probably would have made a better President..

double OUCH!!! forboding

I missed this one from a while back.but e'splains a alot..

"Well, four years have passed and Obama has adroitly steered the bankrupted United States he inherited away from the precipice but has not provided a “different future” worthy of the hope invested in him; and that imagined team of rivals became a team, or rather a coterie, of idolizers.

There is only one star in the galaxy at this White House and his name is Barack Obama. Everyone in the Sun King’s court has drunk the Kool-Aid.

The Obama inner circle remains a group of tough political tacticians: David Axelrod, David Plouffe and Valerie Jarrett. The White House national security team does not boast a single name of strategic stature. Anyone outside Washington would be hard pressed to name one.

The policy upshot has been predictable: cerebral, cool, and with one big exception, cautious. Obama has corrected big mistakes — abandoning the unwinnable global war on terror and pulling out of Iraq. To his immense credit he took a big gamble on killing Osama Bin Laden. But elsewhere he has been cautious to a fault, eyeing the political calendar.

But the president’s semper wary political operatives, focused on votes, may well calculate otherwise."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/op...idolizers.html

Last edited by scottw; 10-16-2012 at 04:27 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #66
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
In addition to absolutely no evidence that the attack was connected to any objectionable video
I believe this is factually incorrect as there was initial reporting, with interviews of the attackers, that indicated the video was a reason for the attack.

It's just one of the many mistakes in the OPINION piece you're referencing as a credible source.

Perhaps the largest is the flagrant use of al Qaeda to construct a narrative based on GOP talking points. I don't believe there is any evidence yet that this attack was planned or supported directly by al Qaeda in any material way.

The danger here is substantial. By exploiting this event for partisan gain the GOP risks undermining US security by attributing rock star status to a local militia.

-spence
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #67
scottw

update...forboding and prescient

if you read the NYT article it ends with reference to John Kael Weston, a former State Department officer imploring the President to present the Presidential Unit Citation during a ceremony held in honor of 2nd MEB, Sept. 14.

“Next month, Marines will gather at Camp Lejeune, N.C., to receive the PUC award. Secretary of the Navy Mabus is set to present it. While an honor, I know Marines hope you opt not to delegate the day’s special gathering to someone else. I feel the same way given ongoing Marine and troop sacrifice in Afghanistan.”

Weston added: “Please pardon my bluntness: I believe it is simply the right thing to do.”

and Roger Cohen suggesting that he ought to attend but wondering if political calculations might dictate otherwise...

"Obama needed more people in the Situation Room saying, “Please pardon my bluntness.” Having sent the Marines in (and concluded a Camp Lejeune speech in 2009 with “Semper Fi”) he should indeed present the award himself."

I guess he wondered right...I can't find any evidence that he attended

Secretary of the Navy awards 2nd MEB with Presidential Unit Citation > II Marine Expeditionary Force > News Article

maybe it conflicted with Letterman or Nickolodeon or that guy in the Pirate Suit, The VIEW, Beyonce or JayZ....so many things to do...so little time
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #68
scottw

Quote:
I believe this is factually incorrect as there was initial reporting, with interviews of the attackers, that indicated the video was a reason for the attack.

It's just one of the many mistakes in the OPINION piece you're referencing as a credible source.

Perhaps the largest is the flagrant use of al Qaeda to construct a narrative based on GOP talking points. I don't believe there is any evidence yet that this attack was planned or supported directly by al Qaeda in any material way.

The danger here is substantial. By exploiting this event for partisan gain the GOP risks undermining US security by attributing rock star status to a local militia.

-spence
haaaa.haaa.haaaa

"I believe"...of course you do
" I don't believe"....of course you don't

"Everyone in the Sun King’s court has drunk the Kool-Aid."
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #69
scottw

Quote:

-spence
pfffft....Lybia is "a tiny country"....
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #70
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
pfffft....Lybia is "a tiny country"....
It's a pattern of behavior that eclipses Libya. It's political and irresponsible...

-spence
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #71
scottw

Quote:
It's a pattern of behavior that eclipses Libya. It's political and irresponsible...

-spence
you are hilarious
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #72
Jim in CT

First established poll I've seen that has Romney ahead, on an aggregate basis, in the swing states. Romney up 4 among likely voters, in a Gallup poll, is very significant. One thing is for sure, Romney is 'peaking' at the right time.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #73
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
First established poll I've seen that has Romney ahead, on an aggregate basis, in the swing states. Romney up 4 among likely voters, in a Gallup poll, is very significant. One thing is for sure, Romney is 'peaking' at the right time.
He could be...I'm sure not sure an aggregate swing state poll means all that much unless it's weighted for OH and FL.

Once again Ohio is going to be the key, it's why the Boss is out and Paul Ryan is pretending to wash clean dishes..

Charity president unhappy about Paul Ryan soup kitchen ‘photo op’

Seriously

-spence
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #74
Piscator

I think if Romney does well tonight he takes the election, if not the momentum is lost and it will be dog fight to the end.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #75
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
I think if Romney does well tonight he takes the election, if not the momentum is lost and it will be dog fight to the end.
Regression towards the mean...

Last debate Romney over performed and Obama under performed. If I was to wager I'd say tonight will be somewhat even.

Contrary to the evil liberal bias we keep hearing about, the media seems have loved the Romney resurgence story.

-spence
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #76
buckman

Quote:
Regression towards the mean...

Last debate Romney over performed and Obama under performed. If I was to wager I'd say tonight will be somewhat even.

Contrary to the evil liberal bias we keep hearing about, the media seems have loved the Romney resurgence story.

-spence
Yes they do!!
I hardly hear any talk about Libya
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #77
Piscator

Quote:
-spence
Or maybe they saw it like it was, Romney kicked Obamas ass in the first debate. If Obama won, could you imagine how over the top that "evil liberal bias" media would be..........

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #78
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Yes they do!!
I hardly hear any talk about Libya
Turn on the TV.

-spence
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #79
buckman

Quote:
Turn on the TV.

-spence
I did....it's all Hillary The most brilliant person in the administration and she just proved it
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #80
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I did....it's all Hillary The most brilliant person in the administration and she just proved it
I'm surprised they waited this long to get her out.

You're looking at the 2016 POTUS don't you know

-spence
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #81
Sea Dangles

Even today she would be a more viable candidate for her party than the incumbant.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #82
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Even today she would be a more viable candidate for her party than the incumbant.
Yes she would be and she was in 2008
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #83
buckman

Quote:
I'm surprised they waited this long to get her out.

You're looking at the 2016 POTUS don't you know

-spence
Put her boss in a no win situation too