Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Hear Eddie Van Halen for the first time

Ok - put your previous opinion aside. I stumbled on these on youtube and they only reinforced my feelings about EVH. These are isolated guitar tracks. No drums, no vocals, no bass, nutin but EVH.
IMHO, he is the most amazing rhythm player, able to effortlessly throw in fills. Listening to him is like watching Michael Jordan play basketball. This is pure flash, executed flawlessly and always musically. Most of his recordings (as you'll hear here) were single track guitars, no layers or overdubs. He uses effects with taste and turns them on and off during the songs. He sounds like no one. Pick slides, harmonics, whammy bar tricks
Dont just dismiss, give these a listen. If you took many of the guitar greats and listened to just the gutar track, I think you'd be disappointed, but with Eddie, his playing has energy and carries the tunes. And for $hits and giggles, he made the guitar he is playing, changing the way rock guitars would be made forever. Give it a try and really hear him for the first time!

listen to the rhythm on this!

you've heard this a million times, now hear it with no other instrument. Who plays like this?

below is The ultimate flash guitar showcase ever. This is pure youthful exuberance. I cant imagine the look on guitar players faces when this came out in 1978. Eddie was 22. This song contains so many things no one has ever played on the guitar. Yup - theres no feeling other than lust and insanity and a few lines. Like ZZ Top on speed! He is playing things that no one ever played before, no one sounds like this. Listen to the rhythm and the fills he thows in! What guitarist on their first album came out and played something as original as this? You may hate this music but I dont know how you cant appreciate this....

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 11-30-2010 at 10:32 AM..

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

I don't know how to post it,but the guitar at the start of pretty woman kicks butt.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

so many people out here have such strong opinions on guitarists Im suprised more havent commented. Do yourself a favor and listen to these.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Great stuff . I get the feeling you like E VH. I would never try to one up you, as it is all about what you like, but here is a quote from E VH.
"Holdsworth is the best in my book. He is fantastic. I love him. What I can do with two hands he can do with one."
Spoken like a true, modest, friend. I appreciate someone that can give credit for someone else's inspiration. Of course you still have to have skill, which he obviously does, and he also went in a different direction which made him rich and famous, unlike Holdsworth. Just a nice tribute to A H.
Both totally different music's for sure and both very talented musicians.
If you like Van Halen you should look into Greg Howe. They are pretty similar and I am sure Mr. Howe gained a lot of influence from E VH who came before him.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Slingah

I loved VH when I was younger....I just can't listen to that popcorn teenage music now.....That being said I shelled out big coin to see them last tour and was a bit disappointed.
I wish EVH would loose his demons and put put some new music that reflects his age & talent...he was/is a legend for obvious reasons.

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
The only "popcorn" VH put out was 1984! Some ok stuff on there but very MTV driven! The only %$%$%$%$ they put out was the Gary Cheron album! I love their older stuff.....one of my favorites is "Fair Warning"....."Women and Choldren First" also a favorite but I prefer the Van Hagar over the DLR years!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Great stuff . I get the feeling you like E VH. I would never try to one up you, as it is all about what you like, but here is a quote from E VH.
"Holdsworth is the best in my book. He is fantastic. I love him. What I can do with two hands he can do with one."
Spoken like a true, modest, friend. I appreciate someone that can give credit for someone else's inspiration. Of course you still have to have skill, which he obviously does, and he also went in a different direction which made him rich and famous, unlike Holdsworth. Just a nice tribute to A H.
Both totally different music's for sure and both very talented musicians.
If you like Van Halen you should look into Greg Howe. They are pretty similar and I am sure Mr. Howe gained a lot of influence from E VH who came before him.
Paul - Im a bit of an EVH fanatic. As a lifelong guitarist I listen to a lot and although Im 95% jazz player now, I cant get over EVHs ability and playing at such a youg agae and his creativity. Some of his legato playing is from Holdsworth but thats one of a million things he perfected and made his own. Like I said in the initial post, every other song he does things no one ever did before on a guitar. Its astounding! he did it all in a pop-metal context! No long wanky 15 mon guitar solos. I know all about Holdswort and Greh Howe. I ahve a bunch of their stuff. What gets me is Eddies rhythm playing and energy. And to restate Slingah's point - he pulls it off in pop metal songs with catchy hooks! How many guitar greats have the majority of their songs under 4 minutes and mostly vocals? I was just hoping you guys would dig it. Be sure to listen to Im the One. Its jaw dropping from a 22 yr old.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

and a quick note - Holdsworth did not have any solo recordings until the late 70s, after VHs first few albums. Eddie later styles and his comments reflect his influence on VHs playing in the 80s. The first few albums were all Eddie!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I dig it. I had all those albums and wore them out. I graduated in 76. I lived it. But like some artist's he got in a rut with that style, band, and went more for the $$$ after a while IMO. I always liked his sound but tired of the band and that teenage driven commercial type of music. That is just me. Not my bag. Like Matt said I'd like to see him show some of his well known talent in a type of music that is not commercially driven and more mature. The guy is great I will not argue that point at all. What you say is very true.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

VH influenced

Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=ProfessorM;814862] you'd think he'd want to stretch out and play with some fusion guys

I'd luv to hear that, or blues or bluegrass or anything different. I am sure he has plenty of money now, hopefully he didn't put it all up his nose, and I would think he would be into branching out into something more. He has a gigantic fan base that I am sure would follow him to what ever he played. I am sure he would excel at anything he tried.

Sorry Jimmy i deleted your post because I keep forgetting to hit Quote and not edit.
I also keep forgetting I have that super power. I'm stupid sometimes

Last edited by ProfessorM; 12-01-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I hear ya, he rocks, no doubt about it.
to tie in yet another conversation, listen to what he did to "Won't get fooled again" I mean, he took a recording from the Who that was layered and had synths and the whole thing and made it just sound awesome with one guitar!

Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

liked that a lot. I'm a huge Who fan .