Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

the price of freedom

Starts at 85 bucks.

http://rt.com/usa/tsa-precheck-program-launch-437/

reallllly? they put you through embarrassing searches, unless you pay premium.

i can see this becoming the new trend... ooh, you dont want to be subjected to unconstitutional warrantless searches... pay 50 dollars a year and we will deem you non suspect..

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thier is not one thing wrong with this, not one. If you don't like it complain to Al Quada (sic) and the other #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s who have tried to bring down passenger aircraft. Better yet move to a country with more freedom than we have here.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
spence

I fly a lot and am already TSA Pre-Check. I think the fee is to cover the extra overhead of having to monitor you, do the background checks etc...

In reality, the Pre-check lines at most airports are usually empty.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

I can't stand it. It's PLAIN OUT STUPID. Anyone can pay to not be searched?!?! That's idiotic!! How hard do you think it is for a terrorist group to come up with $85, give it to some guy with a spotless record. Or more likely BLACKMAIL someone, who has family in that area, who has a spotless record, and threaten to kill his family if he doesn't do it. Then have him walk on through knowingly unchecked (cause he's a paying non threat) with a bomb and take down a plane... STUPID STUPID STUPID. SEARCH EVERYONE! or search no one. it's just as effective, sure checking most or nearly all will catch a few people, but it always leaves the possibility open that the one guy they didn't search had the bomb. So either way you're taking your chances.

As for the warantless search comment.. NYC stop and frisk policy, was what i was referencing to. "Pay the police $50, and not be randomly searched for no reason". It's basically extortion and has nothing to do with your safety.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaCatchABig1 View Post
I can't stand it. It's PLAIN OUT STUPID. Anyone can pay to not be searched?!?! That's idiotic!!
Well, not really.

First off, anyone can't be Pre-Check. Even if you pay you still have to prove your identity and pass a background check.

Even then, you don't just walk through. With Pre-Check you don't have to remove your shoes and belt and use a standard metal detector rather than the back scatter device. You also don't have to remove a laptop and liquids...I've been stopped several times for additional screening when something wasn't right.

Even with all that the screening is still more than pre-9/11.

I wouldn't think coercing a bomb onto a plane would be very successful anyway. Chances are that it would still get caught and as the person trying to get it though wouldn't be trained the odds of them being nervous and getting caught anyway would be higher. Then they rat out the bad guys...not likely.

-spence
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

yeah, i finally found some more info on it... (i've been really busy the past few days, so i didn't research it as much as i should have) i still don't like it... it still reeks of extortion to me.. a government entity creates a problem, then say you can pay to avoid it. with alllll that tax money being pumped into 'security' why couldn't they pay (with your money anyway) for more screeners to shorten the lines? plus the idea of paying for the right to wear more clothes than someone else rubs me the wrong way.. the whole thing bugs me. i suppose after looking at it though, its not too big of a security risk...buuut then again, if shoes and belts and what not are only dangerous to the extent of an $85 fee... they can't be that dangerous to begin with, so why the ridiculous measures against them in the first place?? it just makes no sense to me... i just see hypocracy2