Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
This is funny not really but shows how out of touch some people are
Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone.
"Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 "

idiotic thing to say.

"or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone."

Perfectly rational thing to say.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 "

idiotic thing to say.

"or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone."

Perfectly rational thing to say. You give up your iPhone and cable tv if you must, for any of the many things that are way more important.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #34
PaulS

Quote:

Perfectly rational thing to say.
What do you do for the rest of the premium? Or when the next month premium is due or where that place you applied for a job wants to contact you and can't get in touch with you cuz you have no phone.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
What do you do for the rest of the premium? Or when the next month premium is due or where that place you applied for a job wants to contact you and can't get in touch with you cuz you have no phone.
You don’t go out to eat, you don’t get coffee at Starbucks, you get a used car. Lots of things. Get a trac phone like I had until 12 months ago when I got my first ever smart phone for free at work. I was the very last person I know to get a smart phone, and only because my company gave me a freebie. I wouldn’t pay $5 a month for it.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #36
wdmso

Quote:
You don’t go out to eat, you don’t get coffee at Starbucks, you get a used car. Lots of things. Get a trac phone like I had until 12 months ago when I got my first ever smart phone for free at work. I was the very last person I know to get a smart phone, and only because my company gave me a freebie. I wouldn’t pay $5 a month for it.

Jim your showing your age do you still use a check do you only go to the bank to avoid the ATM fees ?

Companys have used Technology and convenience as a Cash cow and have removed choice from the market ...

Atm started as free baggage was free hotel parking and the pool were free Cell phones you could get with out a data plan no more phone are now leased

again you assume to much why people cant afford health care

and avoid the real reason it cost to much .... its that simple
Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim your showing your age do you still use a check do you only go to the bank to avoid the ATM fees ?

Companys have used Technology and convenience as a Cash cow and have removed choice from the market ...

Atm started as free baggage was free hotel parking and the pool were free Cell phones you could get with out a data plan no more phone are now leased

again you assume to much why people cant afford health care

and avoid the real reason it cost to much .... its that simple
"Jim your showing your age "

And then some.

"do you still use a check do you only go to the bank to avoid the ATM fees "

For the many years that I didn't have a smart phone, I did have a computer. I used my computer to do all those things. If I couldn't buy health insurance, I sure as hell wouldn't have a smartphone, that would be beyond irresponsible..

So now I have a free smartphone, which I never use the "smart" features of. My wife texts me on it to tell me what she needs me to do. Don't need a smartphone for that.

My wife has a smartphone and likes it. We can afford it. But if I could not afford the basic necessities, that would be one of the first things to go.

"again you assume to much why people cant afford health care"

I assumed nothing. Well, maybe one thing, I assume that if you claim you can't afford health insurance yet you flush money down the toilet on things like cable TV, smartphones, cars, eating out, and Starbucks coffee, then I assume your priorities are out of whack. And I stand by that.

Of course there are people who are not stupid with money yet can't afford health insurance. This topic was started about people who treat themselves to luxuries, yet claim they are poor.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #38
PaulS

From 3/17:

Asked at a White House briefing Tuesday if Americans would have to choose between cell phones and health coverage under the proposed plan, Health and Human Service Secretary Tom Price said Americans are already "having to sacrifice in order to purchase coverage."

A 2013 Pew survey found that among low-income people (those making about $30,000 or less), only 13% used an iPhone that year. And nearly 1 in 4 -- 23% -- of smartphone owners have had to cancel or suspend their phone service due to financial constraints, according to a 2015 Pew study.

Later Tuesday morning, Chaffetz walked back his remarks, though he stood by his argument that Americans would need to better prioritize health care spending under the new plan.
"What we're trying to say -- and maybe I didn't say it as smoothly as I possibly could -- but people need to make a conscious choice and I believe in self-reliance," he said on Fox News' "America's Newsroom." "And they're going to have to make those decisions."

Jim - what you're forgetting is poor(er) people don't have access to computers at home or Ipads and so use the phone as you and I use a computer. They don't have the M-F, 9 to 5 job and need the phone to get work, stay in touch w/employers in ways you can't do w/a non smart phone. Plus the cost of an iphone is close to the cost of 1 month of individual coverage. Prob. 1/3 the cost of family coverage.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
From 3/17:

Asked at a White House briefing Tuesday if Americans would have to choose between cell phones and health coverage under the proposed plan, Health and Human Service Secretary Tom Price said Americans are already "having to sacrifice in order to purchase coverage."

A 2013 Pew survey found that among low-income people (those making about $30,000 or less), only 13% used an iPhone that year. And nearly 1 in 4 -- 23% -- of smartphone owners have had to cancel or suspend their phone service due to financial constraints, according to a 2015 Pew study.

Later Tuesday morning, Chaffetz walked back his remarks, though he stood by his argument that Americans would need to better prioritize health care spending under the new plan.
"What we're trying to say -- and maybe I didn't say it as smoothly as I possibly could -- but people need to make a conscious choice and I believe in self-reliance," he said on Fox News' "America's Newsroom." "And they're going to have to make those decisions."

Jim - what you're forgetting is poor(er) people don't have access to computers at home or Ipads and so use the phone as you and I use a computer. They don't have the M-F, 9 to 5 job and need the phone to get work, stay in touch w/employers in ways you can't do w/a non smart phone. Plus the cost of an iphone is close to the cost of 1 month of individual coverage. Prob. 1/3 the cost of family coverage.
Paul, I'm not forgetting that. I was responding to whether or not it's reasonable to have an iphone if you don't have health insurance. in my opinion, an iphone is nowhere near the same priority. I also get that it's not one or the other, as an iphone doesn't cost as much. My point is that people have screwed up priorities when it comes to acquiring stuff.

I worked at a grocery store when I was a teenager. Can't tell you how many people I saw who came in every month with their food stamps, and yet drove nicer cars than my family ever had. Priorities.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #40
DZ

My first paycheck with more of my crumbs.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #41
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
My first paycheck with more of my crumbs.
Yep, same here, it will cover the cost of my Craft Addiction.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #42
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Yep, same here, it will cover the cost of my Craft Addiction.
About right The good stuff is expensive.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #43
spence

Didn't see this coming

And this morning I noticed a Replublican commercial claiming the tax bill was targeted at the middle class.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40537732...e-tax-windfall

Quote:
Following last December’s corporate tax cuts, dozens of companies from AT&T to Walmart have announced bonuses and pay rises for their employees. But how much of the windfall is actually ending up in the hands of workers?

The answer is less than you might think, according to an analysis of the first 105 announcements. Just Capital, which tracks corporate performance on a range of corporate responsibility-type metrics, finds that just 6% of capital allotted so far is going to staff, while 58% is going to shareholders in the form of dividends, share buy-backs, or retained earnings.

And, of that 6% for workers, more than half is in the form of bonuses, meaning the transfers are set to be short-lived. If workers are getting at least some money from the tax cuts, it’s not necessarily in form of ongoing remuneration.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #44
spence

Wow.

Quote:
President Donald Trump touted the economic growth triggered by his tax cuts in a speech Thursday afternoon, pointing out the projected growth of gross domestic product (GDP) over the next 10 years had increased because of the plan.

But 80 percent of the economic growth generated by the Republican tax cuts will eventually go abroad and benefit foreigners, according to a new report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.
http://www.newsweek.com/republican-t...ump-cbo-884129