Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #421
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
No doubt you could quote paragraphs on every day of the week. And every quote would imply something or other.
What, no Youtube video?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #422
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What, no Youtube video?
Don't see the need for one. Certainly don't do nearly as many as you.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #423
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
When the far right does a 180 they identify as Trumplicans

Morals don't count
"As a relatively young man, I remember a time in this great nation when those endowed with public trust and those that were elected to public office were held to a higher standard." R. Aderholt

We are the same as Russia
"To say that we and the Soviet Union are to be compared is the equivalent of saying that the man who pushes the old lady into the way of an oncoming bus and the man who pushes [her] out of the way … are both people who push old ladies around." Wm. Buckley

TFG promised he would eliminate the nation’s debt in eight years.
When he took office in January 2017, the national debt stood at $19.9 trillion. In October 2020, the national debt reached a new high of $27 trillion. That's an increase of almost 36% in less than four years.

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination,”
Hmmm

"Donald, you're a sniveling coward and leave [my wife] the hell alone!" T. Cruz
Cucked

I could quote paragraphs on January 6th

But we will see, the mobs will always turn on their own and their movements inevitably collapse. It's just a matter of how much damage they do in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
No doubt you could quote paragraphs on every day of the week. And every quote would imply something or other.
FOX News slid all the way down from: George Will, Bill Kristol, Nina Easton, Krauthammer, Jonah Goldberg, to: Ben Domenech, Tucker Carlson, Dan Bongino, Kayleigh McEneny, Jesse Waters and Greg Gutfeld. That first group, even if you disagree with them politically, at least were the real deal.

And one would think this is from a future history text, not an aging science fiction book: “The United States had become a place where entertainers ... were mistaken for people of importance. They were idolized and treated as leaders; their opinions were sought on everything and they took themselves just as seriously."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #424
detbuch

Quote:
FOX News slid all the way down from: George Will, Bill Kristol, Nina Easton, Krauthammer, Jonah Goldberg, to: Ben Domenech, Tucker Carlson, Dan Bongino, Kayleigh McEneny, Jesse Waters and Greg Gutfeld. That first group, even if you disagree with them politically, at least were the real deal.

And one would think this is from a future history text, not an aging science fiction book: “The United States had become a place where entertainers ... were mistaken for people of importance. They were idolized and treated as leaders; their opinions were sought on everything and they took themselves just as seriously."
What, no Youtube video? Uh, oh, now your gonna post two or three. Please forget my reply. Never happened. Move on to other more important quotes and videos and articles and opinions and suppositions.

Please.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #425
Jim in CT

Quote:

Pete, we all see that you completely ignored my questions about Biden flip-flopping regarding late-term SCOTUS appointments.

You criticized Graham for flip-flopping, and I agreed with you, because you were obviously correct.

But hen I pointed out Biden taking 3 different positions on late-term SCOTUS appointments, and you won't comment.

Why? Why does it only bother you when Republicans do it?
Old 09-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #426
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
ok. so you’re comparing Israel to nazi germany. you stink at this. No jim I am suggesting the Jew were oppressed but oppression has many forms .. you don't need gas chambers of slave labor.... to be The oppressor

and MANY historians say jews were there first, a LONG time ago. And indians were here before americans So they should get it Back you are to simplistic in your world view it lacks Nuance
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-israel-party/

How Republicans fell in love with Israel

1988, Democrats and Republicans had basically similar attitudes toward Israel two fundamental forces combined to transform the GOP into the hardcore pro-Israel party we know today. First, the rise of the religious right, which sees hard-line support for Israel as a religious obligation. Second, the neoconservative movement successfully convinced most Republican leaders that being pro-Israel should be a core conservative value.

Democrats are much more open to criticizing Israel on issues like West Bank settlements, whereas Republican support for Israel is more unconditional.

one directly linked to the rise of evangelical Protestants in the GOP, whose beliefs about biblically granted rights to the Holy Land make them inclined to take a strongly pro-Israel stance.

So its all about religion for the GOP and its love affair with Israel...
religion makes poor policy
Old 09-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #427
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Religion is the reason behind the anti-slavery movement in the country (which democrats fought a war over to keep).

Religion is the reason behind the anti-segregation movement in the country (which democrats fought to sustain).

Religion is the reason why the pilgrims came here, and it's very very obviously at the root of all of our freedoms and founding philosophies.

Islam makes bad policy. Moderate judeo-Christian principles? Come on.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #428
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Pete, we all see that you completely ignored my questions about Biden flip-flopping regarding late-term SCOTUS appointments.

You criticized Graham for flip-flopping, and I agreed with you, because you were obviously correct.

But hen I pointed out Biden taking 3 different positions on late-term SCOTUS appointments, and you won't comment.

Why? Why does it only bother you when Republicans do it?
I didn't say that, did I?

Why do you think that I need to flip out like you over every political statement that has been made, or even care? I can look at the big picture, a body of work and make a judgement call. So did most Americans in the last election.

And by the way, you still missed these

Morals don't count
"As a relatively young man, I remember a time in this great nation when those endowed with public trust and those that were elected to public office were held to a higher standard." R. Aderholt

"To say that we and the Soviet Union are to be compared is the equivalent of saying that the man who pushes the old lady into the way of an oncoming bus and the man who pushes [her] out of the way … are both people who push old ladies around." Wm. Buckley

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #429
Jim in CT

Quote:

Why do you think that I need to flip out like you over every political statement that has been made, or even care? I can look at the big picture, a body of work and make a judgement call. So did most Americans in the last election.

Morals don't count

"I didn't say that, did I"

Why else did you post that Lyndsay Graham said that Trump shouldn't make a SCOTUS appointment late in his term?

And you very explicitly called out the GOP for doing 180s. Did you forget?

"Why do you think that I need to flip out like you over every political statement that has been made"

This from the guy banned from starting threads, by the most middle-ground guy on here, because we were all worried about your frequency of flip outs.

You point out republican hypocrisy. Not only did I not flip out, I agreed with you. I asked you to comment on democrat hypocrisy, and all of a sudden its a character flaw to ask about one sides hypocrisy.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #430
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"I didn't say that, did I"

Why else did you post that Lyndsay Graham said that Trump shouldn't make a SCOTUS appointment late in his term?

And you very explicitly called out the GOP for doing 180s. Did you forget?

"Why do you think that I need to flip out like you over every political statement that has been made"

This from the guy banned from starting threads, by the most middle-ground guy on here, because we were all worried about your frequency of flip outs.

You point out republican hypocrisy. Not only did I not flip out, I agreed with you. I asked you to comment on democrat hypocrisy, and all of a sudden its a character flaw to ask about one sides hypocrisy.

Morals don't count

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #431
Jim in CT

Quote:

Why do you think that I need to flip out lBuckley
no, you never do that.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #432
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
no, you never do that.

Morals don't count

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #433
wdmso

Quote:
Religion is the reason behind the anti-slavery movement in the country (which democrats fought a war over to keep).

Religion is the reason behind the anti-segregation movement in the country (which democrats fought to sustain).

Religion is the reason why the pilgrims came here, and it's very very obviously at the root of all of our freedoms and founding philosophies.

Islam makes bad policy. Moderate judeo-Christian principles? Come on.

Jim please speak in terms of recent history ..

The GOP love affair with Israel is new to the political landscape .. a quick google search . its all there

Hell Republicans and many others won’t vote for a catholic because they think they will have allegiance to the pope not the nation

the anti-slavery movement in the country (which democrats fought a war over to keep).

Your one of those guys aren’t you!

The problem is that the Republicans and the politics of 1860 bear almost zero resemblance to the Republicans of today.

But please keep convincing yourself that they are …. Like I said no nuance

Last edited by wdmso; 09-20-2021 at 04:01 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #434
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim please speak in terms of recent history ..

The GOP love affair with Israel is new to the political landscape .. q google search it all there

Hell Republicans and many others won’t vote for a catholic because they think they will have allegiance to the pope not the nation
Jim please speak in terms of recent history ignore all the good that religion has done, when trying to argue that religion has done any good.

Recently? The right-wing nuts ta the New York Times recently posted a study showing that conservatives (thanks to their religious beliefs), give more money to charity than liberals, despite making less money on average. Do you think that it's bad public policy to rely on beliefs that incentivize people to be more charitable?

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/o...21kristof.html

In Psychology today, an article showing that people who identify as religious, consider themselves to be happier, than athiests. DO you think it's bad public policy, to rely on beliefs that make people feel happier?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...people-happier

Here, according to the CDC, religious people are less likely to get divorced. Do you think it's bad public policy to rely on beliefs that keep the nuclear family intact, which prevents all kinds of awful societal problems?

https://divorce.lovetoknow.com/Divor...cs_by_Religion

Here, according to the right wing nuts at the Huffington Post, religious people commit less crime. Do you think it's bad public policy to rely on beliefs that result in less crime?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/no-ti...dy-f_b_4384046

"Hell Republicans and many others won’t vote for a catholic because they think they will have allegiance to the pope not the nation"

You're suggesting religious politicians have a hard time in the GOP? That's a new one.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #435
spence

Quote:

This is perhaps the most historically ignorant post Jim has ever made.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #436
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This is perhaps the most historically ignorant post Jim has ever made.
abolitionists like John Brown and we’rent motivated by judeo christian principles?

The Rev Martin Luther King Jr wasn’t motivated by judeo christian principles?

The ideas of equality and freedom, all the rights that are endowed by our creator, what do you suppose that means?

With your worldview, you may have convinced yourself that by creator, they were talking about Stalin or Mao. But they meant God.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-20-2021 at 04:43 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #437
scottw

Kamala is doing a fabulous job securing the border...
Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #438
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Kamala is doing a fabulous job securing the border...
What's 16,000 Haitians entering Del Rio Texas in one long chain over a weekend? Will you quit being such a perfectionist!

A constant chain of thousands of Haitians crossed the river into Texas. They were able to cross for hours and hours in a continuous flow. No one stopped them.

I remember several years ago, a young congressional candidate wanted to show how open the border was, he went to Mexico, rented an elephant and a mariachi band, and rode the elephant across the border, with the mariachi band marching next to him, playing music. True story. But we don't have an open border.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #439
wdmso

Quote:
What's 16,000 Haitians entering Del Rio Texas in one long chain over a weekend? Will you quit being such a perfectionist!

A constant chain of thousands of Haitians crossed the river into Texas. They were able to cross for hours and hours in a continuous flow. No one stopped them.

I remember several years ago, a young congressional candidate wanted to show how open the border was, he went to Mexico, rented an elephant and a mariachi band, and rode the elephant across the border, with the mariachi band marching next to him, playing music. True story. But we don't have an open border.
Jim you story is from 2006. Guess who was POTUS. GW Bush Open borders! talk about being a parrot .

You want mine fields?

Such transfers will continue "in order to ensure that irregular migrants are swiftly taken into custody, processed, and removed from the United States consistent with our laws and policy," DHS said in a statement.

But the usual suspects think the above isn’t happening .. following the law that’s to outrageous
Old 09-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #440
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim you story is from 2006. Guess who was POTUS. GW Bush Open borders! talk about being a parrot .

You want mine fields?

Such transfers will continue "in order to ensure that irregular migrants are swiftly taken into custody, processed, and removed from the United States consistent with our laws and policy," DHS said in a statement.

But the usual suspects think the above isn’t happening .. following the law that’s to outrageous
the 16,000 illegals in Del Rio, is going on right now.

i explicitly said the elephant story was “several years ago.”

“you want mine fields?”

yes, because the only two choices are wide open borders, or mine fields. there’s nothing in between. All countries which effectively control immigration, do it with mine fields.

Do you have mine fields on your front lawn to keep people
out, Einstein? or do you just shut your door, because it turns out walls work, even when Trump says it.

you’re not embarrassed by that?
Old 09-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #441
wdmso

Quote:
Jim please speak in terms of recent history ignore all the good that religion has done, when trying to argue that religion has done any good.

Recently? The right-wing nuts ta the New York Times recently posted a study showing that conservatives (thanks to their religious beliefs), give more money to charity than liberals, despite making less money on average. Do you think that it's bad public policy to rely on beliefs that incentivize people to be more charitable?

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/o...21kristof.html

In Psychology today, an article showing that people who identify as religious, consider themselves to be happier, than athiests. DO you think it's bad public policy, to rely on beliefs that make people feel happier?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...people-happier

Here, according to the CDC, religious people are less likely to get divorced. Do you think it's bad public policy to rely on beliefs that keep the nuclear family intact, which prevents all kinds of awful societal problems?

https://divorce.lovetoknow.com/Divor...cs_by_Religion

Here, according to the right wing nuts at the Huffington Post, religious people commit less crime. Do you think it's bad public policy to rely on beliefs that result in less crime?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/no-ti...dy-f_b_4384046

"Hell Republicans and many others won’t vote for a catholic because they think they will have allegiance to the pope not the nation"

You're suggesting religious politicians have a hard time in the GOP? That's a new one.
Let me dumb this down for you

Would you support sharia law?

I doubt you would it’s laws based on the Koran some not much different then the 10 commandments

But I don’t what our laws based on the teachings of the Koran or the kings James bibles for the same reasons I do not was a judge to pass sentence based on his religious beliefs or based on the beliefs on the person being sentenced …

Faith from all religion has great benefits for many from the down trodden to the sick to those looking for a higher power for direction ..

But as usual you confused I suggest religion has no place in politics as somehow an attack on people of faith in politics

Religion has no place in policy ! People of faith are welcomed in politics And these 2 positions are not remotely the same . Except to you?

Last edited by wdmso; 09-21-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Old 09-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #442
scottw

Quote:

....this should be fun
Old 09-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #443
Jim in CT

Quote:

I doubt you would it’s laws based on the Koran some not much different then the 10 commandments

But I don’t what our laws based on the teachings of the Koran or the kings James bibles for the same reasons I do not was a judge to pass sentence based on his religious beliefs or based on the beliefs on the person being sentenced …

Faith from all religion has great benefits for many from the down trodden to the sick to those looking for a higher power for direction ..

But as usual you confused I suggest religion has no place in politics as somehow an attack on people of faith in politics

Religion has no place in policy ! And these 2 positions are not remotely the same . Except to you?
“would you support sharia law.”

same logic ( lack there of) when you asked if i want mine fields to control immigration.

When liberals have lost the debate, they often respond not to what the conservative said, but to something that doesn’t come close to resembling the conservative ever said.

i never said i wants sharia law, that’s a moronic straw man extreme guy created, i don’t know who you’re responding to there, but i never hinted at sharia.

i pointed out reports, even in ultra left wing tags, that show positive benefits of judeo christian values, and since somehow you don’t seem
to already know this, judeo christian values are a little bit different than sharia law.

Try responding to what i’m actually saying, as opposed to some gibberish extreme that i never came close to saying.

All liberals do it. you all take from the same exact play book.

From where i sit, i can see an upside to public policy that has its roots in a value system which encourages generosity, charity, happiness, strong nuclear families, and more empathy for each other.

You think it would be “bad policy” to make decisions, influenced by values which behave those results?

You’re entitled to believe that.

Sharia law and mine fields. Yes, that’s what everyone knows i want.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:46 AM   #444
Jim in CT

Quote:

Religion has no place in policy ! And these 2 positions are not remotely the same . Except to you?

same logic ( lack there of) when you asked if i want mine fields to control immigration.

When liberals have lost the debate, they often respond not to what the conservative said, but to something that doesn’t come close to resembling the conservative ever said.

i never said i wants sharia law, that’s a moronic straw man extreme guy created, i don’t know who you’re responding to there, but i never hinted at sharia.

i pointed out reports, even in ultra left wing tags, that show positive benefits of judeo christian values, and since somehow you don’t seem
to already know this, judeo christian values are a little bit different than sharia law.

Try responding to what i’m actually saying, as opposed to some gibberish extreme that i never came close to saying.

From where i sit, i can see an upside to public policy that has its roots in a value system which encourages generosity, charity, happiness, strong nuclear families, and more empathy for each other.

You think it would be “bad policy” to make decisions, influenced by values which behave those results?

Maybe you’re hearing the same
voices that Pete hears.

Wayne, when you can’t respond to what i said, and you have to pretend i said something stupidly different, doesn’t that tell you anything about your beliefs?
Old 09-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #445
wdmso

Quote:
the 16,000 illegals in Del Rio, is going on right now.

i explicitly said the elephant story was “several years ago.”

“you want mine fields?”

yes, because the only two choices are wide open borders, or mine fields. there’s nothing in between. All countries which effectively control immigration, do it with mine fields.

Do you have mine fields on your front lawn to keep people
out, Einstein? or do you just shut your door, because it turns out walls work, even when Trump says it.

you’re not embarrassed by that?
Why would I be embarrassed ? Do you not having any empathy for these people who feel they need to do what they are doing?

Are they are being deported? Are they not?

Or is this another faux invasion so they can vote for Dems

The United States' southern border with Mexico is 1,933 miles long, stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the tip of South Texas. Some 700 of those miles have fencing in place

Why do conservatives only think in terms of obstacles.. as solutions

From fences to voter id to 6 week Abortion laws

But they never look at stability as the easiest way to slow migration

Yet we’re not building a 5525 mile fence with Canada

Why because Canada is stable .
We only get their comedians

Look at the facts Haiti and the Dominican Republic

Same island 1 side stable 1 side not

And who’s under the bridge Haitians whom homes were destroyed by a earthquake and their political system In turmoil from an assassination

Cause and effect
Old 09-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #446
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why would I be embarrassed ? Do you not having any empathy for these people who feel they need to do what they are doing?

Are they are being deported? Are they not?

Or is this another faux invasion so they can vote for Dems

The United States' southern border with Mexico is 1,933 miles long, stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the tip of South Texas. Some 700 of those miles have fencing in place

Why do conservatives only think in terms of obstacles.. as solutions

From fences to voter id to 6 week Abortion laws

But they never look at stability as the easiest way to slow migration

Yet we’re not building a 5525 mile fence with Canada

Why because Canada is stable .
We only get their comedians

Look at the facts Haiti and the Dominican Republic

Same island 1 side stable 1 side not

And who’s under the bridge Haitians whom homes were destroyed by a earthquake and their political system In turmoil from an assassination

Cause and effect
same question as in another thread…wayne, when you can’t respond to what i actually said, and you have to pretend that i said something totally different ( mine fields, sharia law), what does that tell you about your beliefs?

Oh, so it’s showing empathy to allow illegal immigration? What about the abuse these people suffer at the hands of the smugglers on the other side? some estimates say that 25% of the women who cross illegally, are sexually assaulted on the mexican side, because bad guys know where the crossing points are.

So if slowing that to happen, if incentivizing people to abandon toddlers at the border, if incentivizing adults crossing illegally to “rent” children so they can enjoy the benefits of appearing as a family unit, if all that is showing empathy for these people, sorry i don’t see it.

i have deep empathy for anyone feeling despair. doesn’t mean i want them all coming here.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #447
wdmso

Quote:

Maybe you’re hearing the same
voices that Pete hears.

Wayne, when you can’t respond to what i said, and you have to pretend i said something stupidly different, doesn’t that tell you anything about your beliefs?

Jim if you allow religious based politics and allow religion to dictate
Policies you get Shia law! No difference then using the King James Bible ( if you read the next sentence)

That’s is the extreme example but as if on cue you thought it was directed at you. Which it was not

I share many values that my religious friends share they may embrace them via church I embrace them because it’s the right thing to do we can hold shared values in America with out holding the same Book..
Old 09-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #448
wdmso

Quote:
same question as in another thread…wayne, when you can’t respond to what i actually said, and you have to pretend that i said something totally different ( mine fields, sharia law), what does that tell you about your beliefs?

Oh, so it’s showing empathy to allow illegal immigration? What about the abuse these people suffer at the hands of the smugglers on the other side? some estimates say that 25% of the women who cross illegally, are sexually assaulted on the mexican side, because bad guys know where the crossing points are.

So if slowing that to happen, if incentivizing people to abandon toddlers at the border, if incentivizing adults crossing illegally to “rent” children so they can enjoy the benefits of appearing as a family unit, if all that is showing empathy for these people, sorry i don’t see it.

i have deep empathy for anyone feeling despair. doesn’t mean i want them all coming here.

Again mines field it was a (rhetorical question). Aka what’s the solution if deportation isn’t enough and people are unwilling to send money to these countries to improve conditions so they don’t want to leave ..

And we’re talking about Haiti not Mexicans and what happens on that side .. with the rights faux outrage on what those women face as if the GOP gives a rats you know what just like the Afghan women and children .. we care but like you said

doesn’t mean i want them all coming here.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #449
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim if you allow religious based politics and allow religion to dictate
Policies you get Shia law! No difference then using the King James Bible ( if you read the next sentence)

That’s is the extreme example but as if on cue you thought it was directed at you. Which it was not

I share many values that my religious friends share they may embrace them via church I embrace them because it’s the right thing to do we can hold shared values in America with out holding the same Book..
You’re so wrong. you can make policy based on religious beliefs, without becoming a theocracy. those two things aren’t remotely the same thing.

all good politicians advocate for public policy based on what their conscience tells them is right. there are many ways of forming a conscience. people form consciences based on what their parents taught them, what they learned in school, what they hear in TV, what they read, even what they hear in church.

Our constitution says there is no official, state sanctioned religion. It doesn’t come close to saying we remove religion from public office, that’s settled case law. That doesn’t come close to meaning that a religiously-informed conscience isn’t compatible with democracy, while a conscience formed by what someone learned at school is compatible.

Consciences formed by religion have done incredible things throughout our history.

As i’ve shown ( as reported in the New York Times and The Huffington Post), religiously informed consciences can motivate people to do some really good, productive things.

I’m not saying we make divorce illegal because it violates catholic catechism - that would
be a theocracy as you correctly stated. No one is advocating for that. i’m saying we promote and advocate the benefits of strong families, of generosity, of having ACTUAL empathy for each other, and advocating for a culture that is designed to make people
feel good about themselves. That’s not what we have now. Especially not in our cities.

The anti segregationists like Rev Martin Luther King, Eisenhower, and Jack and Bobby Kennedy, had anti segregation positions that were influenced heavily by their faith. Are you saying it was therefore wrong to pass the anti segregation laws?
Old 09-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #450
wdmso

Quote:
You’re so wrong. you can make policy based on religious beliefs, without becoming a theocracy. those two things aren’t remotely the same thing.

all good politicians advocate for public policy based on what their conscience tells them is right. there are many ways of forming a conscience. people form consciences based on what their parents taught them, what they learned in school, what they hear in TV, what they read, even what they hear in church.

Our constitution says there is no official, state sanctioned religion. It doesn’t come close to saying we remove religion from public office, that’s settled case law. That doesn’t come close to meaning that a religiously-informed conscience isn’t compatible with democracy, while a conscience formed by what someone learned at school is compatible.

Consciences formed by religion have done incredible things throughout our history.

As i’ve shown ( as reported in the New York Times and The Huffington Post), religiously informed consciences can motivate people to do some really good, productive things.

I’m not saying we make divorce illegal because it violates catholic catechism - that would
be a theocracy as you correctly stated. No one is advocating for that. i’m saying we promote and advocate the benefits of strong families, of generosity, of having ACTUAL empathy for each other, and advocating for a culture that is designed to make people
feel good about themselves. That’s not what we have now. Especially not in our cities.

The anti segregationists like Rev Martin Luther King, Eisenhower, and Jack and Bobby Kennedy, had anti segregation positions that were influenced heavily by their faith. Are you saying it was therefore wrong to pass the anti segregation laws?

what you written is how it should be

But states like Texas and others involving abortion . It’s all driven by the religious right .. all in the name of votes and Republicans seem to be the only party trying to overturn ROE. Aka religious right a very vocal but small minority