Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Invisible Fence for your dogs

Anybody here install them or have a friend that does? My 10 month old golden needs room to run and the wife thinks its just the thing.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Cool Beans

I hear they work great, until the power goes out....
Wasn't it last year here in RI that some politician,, maybe the Gov. was using it and the power went out,, dog ran off... dog was picked up and taken to the pound,,, a week later he gets his dog back....after searching the whole town for him... seems the pound didn't check the tags or the chip on the dog.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Offshore24
Dismember

We have one. Works great. After the dogs were used to it they stopped even needing the collar. They run up to the line and just hang in the yard watching the kids go by. And cars, and trucks. They learned the door revolves around them now. We put one in ourselves and then replaced it with the "invisible fence" brand. Their collars work better and their wiring is hardier. The homeowner installed brand didnt last a couple years before it had issues.

72 hrs of fishing SoCo, not a felony in all 50 states.
Offshore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thank you for the advice.............

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Raven

still you need a temporary visible barrier to acclimate the dog to the perimeter boundary.

the shock is just the reinforcement .....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Raven

it's definately psychological

one day at this farm
i tried to open a cow fence for this sheep dog
to let him out of the cow pasture....
but.....
despite the fact that i took down the entire
cow gate.... the dog just stood there
staring at me or pacing back and forth as if
there was a wall there only i could not see....

finally the dog got up enough nerve to try....

it came up to where the cow fence used to be
and leaped up and over the invisible gate
or so it thought....

that wasn't even there.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
5/0
Eels

Yup!
I installed one last winter for my Golden ,I did some research on which would better meet our needs and then jumped on cheese bay and bought it.
We purchased a innotec ($129.00)it came with a hand held remote this can be also used as a trainer,500' of boundary wire,training DVD,boundary flags and some other stuff.
We take it camping I just bring some boundary flags put some around our camp site and our pooch won't leave

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Yup!
I installed one last winter for my Golden ,I did some research on which would better meet our needs and then jumped on cheese bay and bought it.
We purchased a innotec ($129.00)it came with a hand held remote this can be also used as a trainer,500' of boundary wire,training DVD,boundary flags and some other stuff.
We take it camping I just bring some boundary flags put some around our camp site and our pooch won't leave
That pretty cool about the camp thing. I'll keep that in mind. I hired a guy out of southeast Mass., who fishes go figure, from an internet site. He has been in business training dogs for 20 years and doing the fence thing for 7 years. Liked his price and his lifetime guarantee. I need about 850 feet installed, so I think I'll let him do it. Thanks again for the advice.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
5/0
Eels

Yeah it's pretty handy,once we get to the camp site I put up the flags and just watch her for a bit if she gets close to the boundary I'll give the remote a touch and it sends a beep beep to the collar and she backs off and were good for the duration.
If you have a Buddy who can do it for you & at a good price I'd go with it,I had to bury 750' under the lawn cut my driveway and boar a 1/4" X 12" hole through my foundation to run the leads out it took me 2 weekends in January

Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
WESTPORTMAFIA

I wish I had a hand held remote. The only problem I have with mine is that my small dog (MIN PIN) runs up to the line where the colar starts beeping and smashes her face in the grass pulling up mouthfulls of dirt and grass while barking crazily. It's fine with me but the neighbors walking by probably think the dog needs meds
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
I wish I had a hand held remote. The only problem I have with mine is that my small dog (MIN PIN) runs up to the line where the colar starts beeping and smashes her face in the grass pulling up mouthfulls of dirt and grass while barking crazily. It's fine with me but the neighbors walking by probably think the dog needs meds

Thats hilarious

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
LMAO Jay,actually now thinking of it.....Your dog looks like Ren from Ren & Stimpy and they had this one episode called don't WIZ on the electric fence

Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
eastendlu

I installed mine over 10 years ago got it from fosters and smiths did 2 acres on my 4th dog with it.They work great took me about 2 hours to install.If you need any info or help let me know i should be back home in a few days as i am out of town at the moment.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

I remember remodeling a house where they had a springer spaniel and an electric fence. The lady of the house said watch this, the dog was sitting on the lawn watching a couple of kids playing across the street. Sat patiently for a while, then started getting itchy. The dog starts pacing back and forth and then runs and jumps as high as it can, a little yelp and it was out. He knew what was coming.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Raven

it still takes conditioning

you still need to walk the dog on the inside perimeter (along side a visual barrier) as if there was a real wall there preventing you from leaving the yard until it becomes a conditioned habit.

this is why an adult elephant who is shackled with an easy to break chain....doesn't even try anymore.....mainly because it tried in Vain to break a much heavier chain as a young elephant so many times with no success that it no longer even tries.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
I installed mine over 10 years ago got it from fosters and smiths did 2 acres on my 4th dog with it.They work great took me about 2 hours to install.If you need any info or help let me know i should be back home in a few days as i am out of town at the moment.

Thanks Lu.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I remember remodeling a house where they had a springer spaniel and an electric fence. The lady of the house said watch this, the dog was sitting on the lawn watching a couple of kids playing across the street. Sat patiently for a while, then started getting itchy. The dog starts pacing back and forth and then runs and jumps as high as it can, a little yelp and it was out. He knew what was coming.
My golden is a friekin long jumper. The breeder gave us that warning, it runs in this particular family line, the ability to do ariels and get distance. They system we are getting has an 8' barrrier, so hopefully that will be enough.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #18
Squid kids Dad

I just went out and bought an invisible dog...So now I dont need the fence bro..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote