Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
wdmso

Climate change: Alps glaciers melting faster as heatwaves hit

Melting glaciers in the Alps are on track for their highest mass losses in at least 60 years, according to data

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-62466095

Climate Deniers in the 117th Congress
There are 139 elected officials in the 117th Congress who still deny the scientific consensus of human-caused climate change.

take a guess Who
Old 08-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Of all of our political divides, the fact that one party votes unanimously to address the climate crisis and one votes unanimously to do nothing might be the most jaw dropping for future generations (as it is to many who are here right now).
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
scottw

just cancelled my skiing plans...
Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Well it’s signed and I loved how Biden trashed the party who denies climate change is even real, the party that passes legislation for the upper crust, time for Fox and friends (Jim and Scott) to spin away.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Well it’s signed and I loved how Biden trashed the party who denies climate change is even real, the party that passes legislation for the upper crust, time for Fox and friends (Jim and Scott) to spin away.
I thought of you when I heard this climate activist story

French activists fill golf holes with cement to protest watering exemptions during drought
By Reuters
August 14, 2022
Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I thought of you when I heard this climate activist story

French activists fill golf holes with cement to protest watering exemptions during drought
By Reuters
August 14, 2022
Well I don’t own a golf course, but if you want to become an activist instead a snarky one liner, go start a movement. Let me spin this attempt in another direction. My course and every other likely pays for water and the public playing are getting exercise and are healthier for it. Now let’s look at some other sports and obscene salaries, fueled by what, oh yeah corporate greed. Put half of that money to fuel technology to move water around this country. Every year the same parts have historic flooding, while other parts of the country suffer historic droughts and fires.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:43 AM   #7
wdmso

Jim there’s a name for what you do

hypocrisy discourse.

Conservatives who reject climate change action tend to use two “modes” of hypocrisy discourse. The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists to undermine the urgency and moral need for climate change action. The second, an “institutional cynicism” mode, encourages a cynical fatalism about any proposed governmental action regarding climate change by suggesting that governments are necessarily climate hypocrites because of the economic and political impossibility of serious emissions reductions. In contrast,
Old 08-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

hypocrisy discourse.

Conservatives who reject climate change action tend to use two “modes” of hypocrisy discourse. The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists to undermine the urgency and moral need for climate change action. The second, an “institutional cynicism” mode, encourages a cynical fatalism about any proposed governmental action regarding climate change by suggesting that governments are necessarily climate hypocrites because of the economic and political impossibility of serious emissions reductions. In contrast,
it's always fun when it "Wayne's new word day"
Old 08-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:

hypocrisy discourse.

i don’t reject climate change action. i spend more time on the water and deep in the woods than most, i want healthy and clean ecosystems and have a deep love of wild animals.

What i don’t want, is a lecture from anyone who voluntarily chooses to live in such wealth and extravagance that he has the carbon footprint of a small country.

Lead by example, or shut the hell up. The only thing Al Gore has unplugged in the last 25 years is his treadmill. I’m not interested in what he has to say. But you suck it up like a Hoover deluxe because he has a (D) after his name..

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-23-2022 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i don’t reject climate change action. i spend more time on the water and deep in the woods than most, i want healthy and clean ecosystems and have a deep love of wild animals.

What i don’t want, is a lecture from anyone who voluntarily chooses to live in such wealth and extravagance that he has the carbon footprint of a small country.

Lead by example, or shut the hell up. The only thing Al Gore has unplugged in the last 25 years is his treadmill. I’m not interested in what he has to say. But you suck it up like a Hoover deluxe because he has a (D) after his name..
Did you even read it. Because you applied it perfectly

The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists

Can you name. Conservatives climate activist?

Last edited by wdmso; 08-23-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Old 08-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:

The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists

conservatives want a healthy environment. we aren’t going to be told to take the bus, by people
who fly private jets. sorry if that’s going too fast for you.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:

conservatives want a healthy environment. we aren’t going to be told to take the bus, by people

wayne, if we all get electric cars, where does all that additional
needed electricity come from? do you think wind and solar can generate it?
Old 08-24-2022, 02:46 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:

wayne, if we all get electric cars, where does all that additional
needed electricity come from? do you think wind and solar can generate it?
You think like some people in Texas after getting 10 inch’s of rain in 24hrs they think their drought is over

You apply the same logic to Climate

You’re waiting for that one big Idea to happen and fix everything

You do understand if only electric cars and trucks were on the roads

Electric generation won’t be just wind and solar . Not sure why you keep thinking that’s how it will work

We have an old infrastructure and change is slow . And it’s even slower when one party wants to protect oil and gas . Then they care to protect future Americans.

There’s a reason why you can take a train any where in Europe quickly
Or use reliable public transportation

as for extra generation ask the private power companies who shuttered 2 in my town they refused to convert them to Gas or there wasn’t enough gas infrastructure

They removed more power from the grid in a day then I’d wager all the electric cars in the Us
Old 08-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #14
wdmso

This must be Jim’s source of his outrage

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...l-tell-no-show

Fortunately, you can ignore the performative virtue-signaling of these preening narcissists — both the politicians and the celebrities. The solutions to carbon emissions are already with us. If the planet is really in peril, then it's worth keeping all those dams and nuclear reactors in operation, and building new ones besides. Even a carbon-spewing electric Hummer becomes green if it's powered by good old nuclear. And fusion reactors are on the horizon, too.

Nuclear wow how original
Old 08-31-2022, 06:49 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well, horse and buggy is green
Old 09-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

TDF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECEB6530-64E5-4B40-BBF0-C43C34FED225.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	69155  

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
TDF
Aren't the horse farts bad for the ozone layer?
Old 09-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Aren't the horse farts bad for the ozone layer?
I’m sure California will have a set of Emission standards and regulations for them before they can get a sticker

Old 09-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #19
Jim in CT

wdmso, here’s the downside to going way too far, way too fast…

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...sis-warning-us
Old 09-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
wdmso, here’s the downside to going way too far, way too fast…

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...sis-warning-us
do you even take time to read or understand whos feeding you BS information

you are a sheep Jim and fox is your shepherd

your EXPERTS are Rystad Energy is an independent energy research and business intelligence company headquartered in Oslo, Norway. It is the biggest independent energy consultancy in Norway, and a world-leading analysis company for the oil and gas industry
'There's been under-investment in fossil fuels in Europe,' an analyst from research firm Rystad Energy tells FOX Business

EU Power Market Not Working Thanks to Putin, Von Der Leyen Says

Von der Leyen blamed the record price increases on Russia's invasion of Ukraine which has upended global energy markets but added that the crisis was evidence the bloc needed to transition further to green energy. Russia has throttled natural gas supplies to Europe in response to the EU's sanction packages introduced following the February invasion.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Who’s adamantly opposed to nuclear?

As for coal it’s been uneconomical for a while and pretty much all developed countries are trying to not use it, I doubt you’ll find anyone willing to invest the money to bring it back.

I’m old enough to remember off peak rates and using it for domestic hot water and electric heat.
In the same vein, some power companies are now funding on site battery storage, charged with solar OR off peak power.
It can then be used to reduce peak grid demand and is also available for power outages.
Don’t panic, it will get there in a number of ways.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Who’s adamantly opposed to nuclear?

As for coal it’s been uneconomical for a while and pretty much all developed countries are trying to not use it, I doubt you’ll find anyone willing to invest the money to bring it back.

I’m old enough to remember off peak rates and using it for domestic hot water and electric heat.
In the same vein, some power companies are now funding on site battery storage, charged with solar OR off peak power.
It can then be used to reduce peak grid demand and is also available for power outages.
"Who’s adamantly opposed to nuclear?"

Stupid people. Including a majority on your side. From the Gallup poll...

"Democrats continue to be far less likely than Republicans to favor using it. The pattern is in line with Democratic-leaning environmental groups' long-standing opposition to nuclear power; this has been focused on concerns about the environmental risks posed by nuclear waste and accidents, as well as their preference for renewable energy such as wind, solar and geothermal. Currently, 39% of Democrats versus 60% of Republicans and 53% of independents favor nuclear energy"

https://news.gallup.com/poll/392831/...ar-energy.aspx
Old 09-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

"Democrats continue to be far less likely than Republicans to favor using it. The pattern is in line with Democratic-leaning environmental groups' long-standing opposition to nuclear power; this has been focused on concerns about the environmental risks posed by nuclear waste and accidents, as well as their preference for renewable energy such as wind, solar and geothermal. Currently, 39% of Democrats versus 60% of Republicans and 53% of independents favor nuclear energy"

So according to you 40% of Republicans, 47% of independents and 61% of Democrats are stupid.

It’s impossible, is not one of them.
In a hundred years we went from horse and buggy to a man on the moon, and it seems you still think the earth is flat.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #24
wdmso

Quote:

Your just a parrot repeating what your told try doing some research

The average age of U.S. commercial nuclear power reactors that were operational as of December 31, 2021, was about 40 years. The oldest operating reactor is Nine Mile Point 1 in New York, which entered commercial service in December 1969. The newest reactor to enter service is Tennessee’s Watts Bar Unit 2, which began operation in June 2016. The next-youngest operating reactor is Watts Bar Unit 1, also in Tennessee, which entered service in May 1996.

cost is nuclear's Achilles' heel. Modern-day reactors have become jarringly expensive to build, going for $5 billion to $10 billion a pop. Worse, the price tag seems to be rising in many places. Back in the 1960s, new reactors in the US were one of the cheaper energy sources around. Two decades later, after a series of missteps, those costs had increased sixfold — a big reason we stopped building plants.

EIA calculates overnight construction costs for new US power plants ordered in 2014. Advanced nuclear reactors are estimated to cost $5,366 for every kilowatt of capacity. That means a large 1-gigawatt reactor would cost around $5.4 billion to build, excluding financing costs. By contrast, a new wind farm costs just $1,980 per kilowatt. A new gas plant costs just $912 per kilowatt, or one-fifth as much. (This isn't a perfect comparison, since reactors run at capacity more often than wind farms or gas plants. But even if you adjust for capacity factors, those construction costs make nuclear uncompetitive. High upfront costs can also scare off investors.)

Keep thinking it’s liberals fault
Old 09-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #25
scottw

"France to build up to 14 new nuclear reactors by 2050, says Macron. Emmanuel Macron has announced a “renaissance” for the French nuclear industry with a vast programme to build as many as 14 new reactors, arguing that it would help end the country's reliance on fossil fuels and make France carbon neutral by 2050." Feb 10, 2022

"California's last nuclear plant – scheduled to fully shut down by 2025 – has been given renewed life. California lawmakers voted on Wednesday to delay the closure of the Diablo Canyon facility by five years, after the governor warned the state could face rolling blackouts if its twin reactors were retired too soon." 1 day ago
Old 09-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #26
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
"France to build up to 14 new nuclear reactors by 2050, says Macron. Emmanuel Macron has announced a “renaissance” for the French nuclear industry with a vast programme to build as many as 14 new reactors, arguing that it would help end the country's reliance on fossil fuels and make France carbon neutral by 2050." Feb 10, 2022

"California's last nuclear plant – scheduled to fully shut down by 2025 – has been given renewed life. California lawmakers voted on Wednesday to delay the closure of the Diablo Canyon facility by five years, after the governor warned the state could face rolling blackouts if its twin reactors were retired too soon." 1 day ago

I am sure this 5 year extension in based on current energy prices worldwide

France isn’t the USA United States they always built nuclear plants

France’s minister for energy transition said Friday that French electricity giant EDF has committed to restart all its nuclear reactors by this winter to help the country through the broad energy crisis aggravated by the war in Ukraine.

France relies on nuclear energy for about 67% of its electricity – more than any other country – and on gas for about 7%.

So do you have a point
Old 09-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
cost is nuclear's Achilles' heel. Modern-day reactors have become jarringly expensive to build, going for $5 billion to $10 billion a pop.
How many reactors have we sent to the Ukraine?

Old 09-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #28
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
How many reactors have we sent to the Ukraine?
The government doesn’t build reactors do they.. its the private sectors Choice .

Now you’re upset the US has supported Ukraine and not spending that money here at home.

Which you would of course be against . Once they tried to spend it . Yelling no socialism
Old 09-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #29
Jim in CT

wayne, biden said today “I don’t consider ANY Trump supporter to be a threat to democracy.”

that’s the opposite of what he said last night. They are mutually exclusive statements. they can’t both be correct. he said today that no one who supports trump is a threat to democracy.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:11 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

So we can subsidize Gender Studies degrees, but Power Plants to provide the energy we will need for the EV’s the Gubment is mandating we drive, is a deal breaker. Got It…..sounds logical