Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
basswipe

People who run stop signs.

I've pretty much had it.

Everyday for the past 4yrs I pull onto Village Way from E.Main Rd in Portsmouth to get my dad's paper and to make sure he's good for the day.For those familiar you know there's a bank on the left and a Dunkin on the right and the road continues onto into my dad's neighborhood.

Why do so many people assume that I'm going to turn right into DDs(as my right directional is not blinking) and run the perfectly clear stop sign at the exit of the DDs parking lot!

One of these times included this morning and I got the finger!ME!!!

I wish one off these aholes would stop so I can ask them how its MY #^&#^&#^&#^&ING fault they ran the stop sign.I need an answer,this is the kind of sh!t that keeps me awake at night.

Last edited by basswipe; 07-16-2012 at 04:16 PM..
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Prepare to RAM, my wife gets upset when I say that!

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

Happens to me on 123 and 495. Because I am turning left onto the on ramp, cars on the off ramp from 495 think they can pass In front of me to go north on 123 , I get the finger when I pull to make my turn even with a directional. People are nuts
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I don't think there is a person left on the roads that slows down for a yellow lights.
Turn signals, I would bet let than 30% on the road use them.
Then there is the crowd who run the break down lane to jump the light when it turns red.
I also don't think the police give a crap, they are too busy on their cell phones.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Running the stop light ranks right up there with "right on red", why do I have to stop.....

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Dick Durand

Noone exits my Narragansett neighborhood onto Pt. Judith Rd without checking very carefully when the traffic light turns green. Everyone is in a hurry to get to the beach, catch the BI ferry, or they simply don't care about red lights, despite the fact that the road is heavily patrolled.
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Nebe

Basswipe, this is why many whode Eyewundahs put their "blinkah" on at the very moment that they turn.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I live far from the main drag but 1 house up from me is an intersection with stop signs on just the cross street and not on my street.

For years we had the occasional accident but for the most part people would slow down near the Stop Sign.

Last year and getting far worse this year a lot of people never slow down. 30-40mph (on a 25 road) and entirely blowing through the stop sign, no kiss of the brakes at all.

Just a matter of time.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
spence

I hate this. The one running down to Riverside Marine in Tiverton is particularly bad. My wife was hit at it once and I've been nearly leveled on my bike several times. The excuse the locals give is that there never used to be one there...yea, like 20 years ago

People fly down the hill with 25 foot boats in tow, like they think they could stop if a kid ran out.

Now with the changes from the bridge construction it's worse. There are two stop signs both heading downward and people keep blowing off both thinking they have visibility to their right. What they don't get is that running the stop sign naturally pulls them left because they're trying to get a better view and takes them into the other lane that doesn't stop.

An offset collision is going to happen.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Piscator

Ambulance chasers in traffic are the worst. People have no shame. Seeing an Ambulance in traffic and the slalom course behind it makes me sick…………

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Pete_G

Agree completely with the sentiments in this thread.

Seems like the aggression, disregard for basic rules of the road, and general incompetence has really been taken up a level or two in the past few years. I love driving but it's an increasingly scary experience. I got hit in my car a little over a month ago on West Main Road by some idiot who shouldn't be licensed. It would take too long to explain the full scope of his idiocy, but let's just say it didn't take long to come down as 100% his fault.

Additionally when I head out on the bike (or car) I can't even leave my street without passing over a "POI" spray painted in the road. 2 dead cyclists in 3 months within a mile of my house.

Police presence, never mind actual enforcement, seems minimal at best. Not sure if it's a result of reduced budgets or what.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G View Post
Police presence, never mind actual enforcement, seems minimal at best. Not sure if it's a result of reduced budgets or what.
A lack of enforcement of *all* traffic laws, as opposed to just speeding, seems to be the problem. At any intersection with a traffic light, a cop could have a field day pulling people over for running a yellow or red light. Towns with tough enforcement get known quickly. Just look at how much "Do Not Speed At All Through Eastham" is common knowledge.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Offshore24
Dismember

There's a light in front of our office, fugetaboutit. They run it with people in the crosswalk. Long straight road, in the city, numerous lights, sometimes 5 seconds go by and they drive right thru like it wasn't even there.

72 hrs of fishing SoCo, not a felony in all 50 states.
Offshore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
spence

Or people don't even know the law.

Did you guys know In RI it's illegal to pass a bicycle on a double yellow line road unless you give them around 3 to 4feet?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Ambulance chasers in traffic are the worst. People have no shame. Seeing an Ambulance in traffic and the slalom course behind it makes me sick…………
It's expected in NY---more the rule than the exception. Closely followed by the "run all the way to the closed lane barrier and then force your way into the line of people who merged" #^&#^&#^&#^& move.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Or people don't even know the law.

Did you guys know In RI it's illegal to pass a bicycle on a double yellow line road unless you give them around 3 to 4feet?
I know that, but I don't insist on it. Give me 2 feet and I'm happy. I had a van pass me close enough to brush me with his passenger side mirror recently, on a side road in Falmouth.

The other annoyance is the guy who has room to pass, a clear oncoming lane, and just sits there letting me know how annoyed he is at me "holding him up".

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
JackK
Not Jack

It really is bad out there. I don't know if it's honest ignorance or just not giving a crap, but the end result is the same.

I firmly believe it's moon related. I can tell when the full/new moon is coming because the Gloucester drivers start going nuts... Running stops, cutting pedestrians and drivers off, doing the creep (you know what it is), weaving off the road, speeding, etc... Happens like clockwork- started seeing it strong yesterday.

But my biggest pet peeve is the lack of blinker usage. I find it amazing how many MA drivers seem to not know what that little lever next to their steering wheel does. I was driving into work one day, and the entire route I was behind a car that didn't use their blinker once (and there are quite a few turns on the way). He pulled into my building, and I parked nearby... I made sure to tell him in a concerned voice that he should take his car to the shop, because his turn signals were broken. What a dirty look I got
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
fishbones

A couple weeks ago I rear ended a chick who sped up then stopped short in the middle of an intersection at a green light because her "gps stopped working". I had looked down for a split second to turn down the AC and didn't have a chance to stop. I doubt her gps story because right when I hit her, I saw her typing on her phone and then she put it down quickly before getting out to see if there was any damage. I've averaged over 40K miles per year for the last 18 years or so and had been driving for 24 years without ever being in an accident.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
Jimbo

My family frequently expresses displeasure driving with me because if I see someone distracted on a cell phone while driving I may yell as loud as I can, "Get off the bleeping, expletive, expletive phone and just drive," which in the warmer months they will hear me.
But on the topic of stop signs or stop lights I am frequently frustrated by how many people feel that the "right on red" concept doesn't mean they need to make a complete stop and observe before completing the turn. I go thru two on the way to work and if I make a complete stop I'm apt to have some idiot behind me lean on the horn. When that happens, I feel the need to be concerned about the safety of my fellow drivers and I remain stopped until the light turns green (and hopefully I have really pi$$ed horatio hornblower off.
There's so many Stupid Driver Tricks, Letterman could make it a weekly segment.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The problem

The # 1 problem is the driver of course, but the underlying cause is that thier is no enforcement of the traffic laws. I ran into a dear friend of mine about 8 months ago and he was telling me, after I asked what he's been up to, that he was doing a survey of area police departments ticket writing numbers. This guy is a Lt. on an area pd. He told me that the numbers are down 60 % to 80 %. The excuse the guys are using is the economy. That to me is the biggest BS story I ever heard. It is pure laziness. When the economy improves does anyone really think these people are going to get of the azzes and write citations, I think not. Everyone complains about route 24 being dangerous. But when is the last time anyone saw a trooper stopping a vehicle for a violation? Same goes for the locals. It is difficult to find a cruiser on patrol, which means they are hanging around the station. Listen to your scanners. You might hear the police at a crash, but you never hear the cruisers dispatched to the crash, because they are at the station, and no intiial dispatch to the crash occurred.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Sometimes, when reading this board, I think south of Boston is a whole different world.

I see cruisers constantly on I-95 both in MA and NH. I also see the locals constantly out pulling people over in the local communities around my way, Georgetown, Groveland, Topsfield, Rowley.

I get good service at the Dunkin Donuts around our area too...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
basswipe

I guess for me what frustrates me the most is that I'm doing the right thing and other driver is doing the wrong thing and yet in the other drivers' mind it is somehow my fault.

I really need an answer for this line of thought when it comes to the offending driver who believes he is right.Dr. Phil?
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I guess for me what frustrates me the most is that I'm doing the right thing and other driver is doing the wrong thing and yet in the other drivers' mind it is somehow my fault.

I really need an answer for this line of thought when it comes to the offending driver who believes he is right.Dr. Phil?
water ballons
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #24
Raven

Cool heh heh

TDF is getting serviced @ DD's

what gets my goat is hit and runs while your shopping

then later..... your walking around the passenger side of your car
and here is this new friggan DENT with a streak of white paint on it
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #25
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

The other day at my intersection a guy is riding his Harley down the road (no stop sign) when a small SUV blows through on the cross street (with stop sign) - just misses crushing guy on Harley. Clearly SUV's fault. Harley guy was obviously pi$$ed

He remained pi$$ed for the next several minutes because HE did not pay attention while banging a Uturn on the road and almost got run over by a van driving properly down the road.

People are effing idiots behind the wheel.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
People are effing idiots behind the wheel.
and handle bars

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Sea Dangles

I think bicycles should only be allowed on sidewalks. Pet peeve is when they ride side by side instead of single file. Eff them,future hood ornaments.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I give motorcyles and bikes a wide birth, ridden both,not anymore, and experienced the dangers.
Always give the rice burners a really large lead as you never know when
they will go down when they start weaving in and out of traffic at lightning
speeds. There are days when I see them moving over 100mph thru traffic
and wonder if they will be alive at the end of the day. Invincible.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
He told me that the numbers are down 60 % to 80 %.
I guess I haven't been imagining it then.

Newport and Middletown could possibly pull themselves out of their economic holes with a little enforcement along 1st Beach.

A dozen worth of 45 in a 25 tickets each day with minimal effort would in no way be an exaggeration, more they spent some time there. Not bad money at the end of the year.

I'm FAR from pro-speed trapping, but a little roughing up of gross violators is in order around here.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
tysdad115

How about when they run a stop sign/red light ,cut you off with no one behind you then immediately turn left? Of course they have to stop and wait for oncoming traffic to stop to complete their turn so you have to stop and wait for them to turn? That really pisses me off.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote