Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Meet & Greet Forum

Meet & Greet Forum S-B is an online Community dedicated to angling for Striped Bass. Come in, say hello and tell us a little bit about you. Thanks! Team Striped-Bass.com

Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver

Hi Guys Mike from UK calling. LOL

Hi Guys.

Mike Oliver here from the UK. Just dropping by to say hello. I have been coming over to your side of the pond now for around 12 years with the main intention of fishing for Stripers on LI and Cape Cod. I normally come with 4 to 5 Buddies all mad keen Fishers. I fish the surf from the shore and use spinning and fly gear depending on mood and whats happening. Normally come over for the fall run in Oct for LI and May for Cape Cod.
I also fish rivers and lakes with fly, bait and lure in the Uk. I have a Xmas trip most years to Southern Ireland where I fish for Bass with bait in huge rolling surfs in Kerry, small fish but a whole lot of fun.
Basically my whole life is centerd around fishing. I build custom rods and tye my own flies. Service my own gear and tye up all my traces.
I am a member of the Bass Anglers Sport Fishing Society in the UK and have held various positions over past 30 years. Look us up on www.ukbass.com Yes I am a tad extreeme and pretty cranky. I am pushing 58 but still as fit as a Butchers dog. I want to be casting into that Striper Surf into advanced old age so I keep fit.
Thats it in a nutshell.

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by Mike Oliver; 12-13-2009 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Mike Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Mike, welcome to S-B

PS, there are no fish this side of the pond.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

welcome and look forward to checking out that site. Wish I was going to Ireland for xmas , someday maybe. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Raven

Thumbs up great read MO

welcome to the fun
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Eric Roach
Big E

Hi Mike,

I just joined this board as well -- good to "see" you and Merry Christmas.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Welcome to both, two guys with plenty to share.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Roger

Hi Mike,
Glad to see you've made it over here from that "other" site.

Best regards,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I recognise a few names from Tim's site. I am going to be visiting both sites, it will be interesting to compere the two and see how culterally different they may turn out to be. Right after this I have to get back to my packing for the Irish winter trip. I have a few more traces to make and line to put onto my conventional reels. Need to get this done whilst Wifey is at work.

Happy Xmas Guys.

Mike
Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oliver View Post
...Right after this I have to get back to my packing for the Irish winter trip. I have a few more traces to make and line to put onto my conventional reels. Need to get this done whilst Wifey is at work.

Happy Xmas Guys.

Mike
Well, Mike, apparently preparing for a fishing trip while the Mrs is at work is common on both sides of the Atlantic...

I would think if your trip to Ireland isn't going to be longer than a few days a gallon of Guinness and a couple of liters of Jameson's should be fine...

Cheers and welcome to S-B -

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver

Crafty Angler

Thanks. My trip is 17 days so a gallon of Guiness will not last the four of us too long. I regret to say I don't drink Jamesons or any whiskey but that don't mean I won't substitute a really good Rijoca or two.
I typically start fishing on Xmas eve about 22.00 and go into Xmas day until dawn. It is a very magical and spiritual experience to be standing in white water holding you rod horizontal just above the suds and right behind you are mountains shrouded in mist or with a dusting of snow. On the far side of the bay you can see the odd twinkling light from a house in the tiny Hamlets. Your ears are full of the sound of the tearing roaring surf and your body is tossed around like a cork as it comes rearing up in the dark in a solid menacing wall of water. You are locked in place by the previous receeding wave, balance is critical at this moment, when the water pressure from the oncoming wave and the receeding wave is balanced you are released and up you float up the side of a 4 foot wave. To topple over now means a very long tumbling ride under water at times onto the beach some 70 yards away and a cold sobering soaking. Yes it sometimes happens but its worth the ride to be there with no other human beeing in site. Some years I catch a Bass on Xmas eve and Xmas day in the one session. I call it Gods gift. This is the kind of church I feel closest to God in.

Have a peaceful Christmas everyone.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Oliver; 12-16-2009 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Nicely put, Mike

They say some men go to church and think about fishing while others go fishing and think about God - sounds like you're in the latter group

Best of luck to you on Christmas...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote