Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #61
Clogston29
xxx

looks like 8 games for Suarez. Even if it gets knocked back a few by appeal, that, combined with Lucas, will be a real blow for Liverpool's hopes of a top 4 finish.

wish i could be home today to watch Chelsea v. Tottenham. Really pulling for Tottenham. Hopefully Bale will play, but he's listed as doubtful. He is a ton of fun to watch, just hope he can stay healthy as he seams to take alot of injuries.

I was looking for gifts at Barnes and Noble the other day and spotted a Gareth Bale biography. Really? The guy is 22 and just getting started. Hope Tottenham can hang on to him and he doesn't end up at Madrid or Barcelona.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #62
Chunkah

Game's on....Bale starting and just had a great run at net. I'm on a 1/2 delay due to starting the game late. All Spurs early and no start for Torres or Lampard.

Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #63
Chunkah

1-0 Spurs....nice feed from Bale to Adebayor. 8th minute
1-1....Sturridge 23rd minute

Last edited by Chunkah; 12-22-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #64
Chunkah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
looks like 8 games for Suarez. Even if it gets knocked back a few by appeal, that, combined with Lucas, will be a real blow for Liverpool's hopes of a top 4 finish.
There is a lot about the Suarez situation that doesn't sit well with me. First, it is one players word against another. and no one should be able to be convicted of anything on heresay. Even the ManU players testified that they didn't hear Suarez say anything to Evra. Also, what about John Terry? Reportedly he was heard making racist remarks to another player (forgot who), so why not prosecute him quickly? I guess the FA doesn't want to prosecute the England captain....what a load of bullsh!t. How are they able to get away with this??
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

If the 8 game ban is upheld, Gerrard remains unavailable, and Liverpool can't land a real top quality striker in the transfer window, top 6 will be about the best they'll be able to do, if that.

Last edited by Chunkah; 12-22-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #65
blondterror

terry saved the draw in the extra time... wow great defensive play

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #66
luds
Night Stalker

Any of you guys have interest in doing a fantasy league for the 2nd half of the EPL season? If you do I'll start a group. I believe the scoring starts from zero in a couple weeks for the 2nd segment of the year.

Sending everyone who's posted in this thread some info.

Might be fun to track our team's progress and talk a little trash in this forum.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #67
Chunkah

I'm game! I don't have a great history in Fantasy Football but I'd be willing to play doormat for the group.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #68
Clogston29
xxx

another suspension for suarez. this won't help with his appeal of the big one.

FA is definately biased toward Brits, its in their interest to be. But also, racism is a huge deal right now after sepp blatter's recent comments. Think they had to make an example and set a precedent.

how good is bale's form right now. that second goal was amazing the other day. so fast and in control at all times.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #69
Clogston29
xxx

and how about the end of the Man. City v. West Brom game. Great save and clearance off the line in stoppage time.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #70
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I thought Man C was lacking something against West Brom. Nasri doesn't seem to working for them, and Aguero seems off his feed. Balotelli is the MAN, but ManC looked better offensively at the start of the season with Dezko in there and with Tourre playing higher. Their inability to open distance from ManU while ManU is at reduced strength has to worry Mancini.

I agree Liverpool looks like they won't be able to stay with Totenham and Arsenal. I still think the best from Asenal is yet to come.

Looking forward to the opening of the transfer window.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #71
Clogston29
xxx

ballotelli and aguero don't quite seam to mesh. maybe too much ego, or maybe it will just take some time. each seams better with dzeko along side even though he isn't the player that either of them is.

united should get cleverly back soon which I think will be a big boost. they could use someone to play with him in the middle at the transfer window with anderson out, unless phil jones is going to fill that role once they start getting defensemen back from injury, which I'm all for.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #72
numbskull

ManU's offense is broke without Anderson (hard to believe but true I think). He plays a more forward midfield role than their other inside mids, including Jones. Anderson seems to get Rooney the ball in better positions in particular, but he also interconnects all their attacking players better than their other players.
In spite of a misfiring offense, Man U has kept up there with ManC but it has not been easy. Ferguson must see that he needs another player with Anderson's skill set and I suspect he will buy one this month.....maybe this Danish kid at Ajax (though the little I've seen of him has not wowed me).
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #73
Clogston29
xxx

Tough day for the top clubs.

Anderson looked rusty, but at least he's getting fit. They deserved to lose just for letting Nani on the field with that hair cut. Need vidic back. Relying on berbatov to mark samba was not pretty.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #74
numbskull

And ManC chokes against Sunderland, amazing. Ferguson got his Bday present after all. Interesting time of year in the EPL. Seems like the best teams and weakest teams both hit the wall. The good teams fatigue and hope to get by coasting a little, the newly promoted teams start to run out of the adrenalin that kept them competitive. The mid table teams start to get their act together and that costs the best and weakest teams both.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #75
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
And ManC chokes against Sunderland, amazing. Ferguson got his Bday present after all. Interesting time of year in the EPL. Seems like the best teams and weakest teams both hit the wall. The good teams fatigue and hope to get by coasting a little, the newly promoted teams start to run out of the adrenalin that kept them competitive. The mid table teams start to get their act together and that costs the best and weakest teams both.
That sums it up pretty well.

Don't know if you guys caught the Man Cit/Sunderland match but the ending was amazing. Sunderland's goal was literally in the last 5 seconds of play. To be fair the goal should have been flagged for off sides but it was still awesome to see them win in the last moment of the game.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #76
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

just watched arsenal vs. fulham. good match up, good game. gary cahill heading to chelsea after his team gets relegated??

so are we doing the s-b epl fantasy??
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #77
Clogston29
xxx

bad performance by united. wow. offense broke without anderson, as numbskull said, and defence broke without vidic. tottenham is right on their heels for the no. 2 spot.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #78
numbskull

Fear not. ManC will miss Yaya Toure even more. He is the motor of that team.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #79
Clogston29
xxx

Resigning schoals seams a bit desperate to me.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #80
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Resigning schoals seams a bit desperate to me.
They are desperate. Happy to see the win today but I didn't feel comfortable even after Company's red card. I hope Sir Alex has something up his sleeve for this transfer window.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #81
Clogston29
xxx

suposedly he's after two german guys, can't remember their names, and maybe christian eriksen, which looks the best of the rumors to me. Kompany's 4 match suspension should help a bit, along with City losing a few guys to the African nations cup (both of which are also screwing me in fantasy selections). There's a big opportunity for Tottenham right now as thet still have a game in hand and are pretty healthy, especially since they'll get City during Kompany's suspension. I thought the card was a joke personally, but with today's rules, I can't see the card being recinded.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #82
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
suposedly he's after two german guys, can't remember their names, and maybe christian eriksen, which looks the best of the rumors to me. Kompany's 4 match suspension should help a bit, along with City losing a few guys to the African nations cup (both of which are also screwing me in fantasy selections). There's a big opportunity for Tottenham right now as thet still have a game in hand and are pretty healthy, especially since they'll get City during Kompany's suspension. I thought the card was a joke personally, but with today's rules, I can't see the card being recinded.
Agree on the card. Thankfully it didn't completely ruin the game.. Did he tweet something about it after the game that led to the suspension or something?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #83
Clogston29
xxx

automatic for second red of season. one game for first. It will end up being 2 carling cup and 2 league games if they don't appeal. If they appeal and the FA decides the appeal to be frivilous, they will add another game. supposedly mancini wants to get a center half on transfer to replace him temporarily, but City can't until they complete some transfers out due to FIFA fair play regs. rumors of ballotelli moving on, but i don't see that. Tevez to milan seams likely though.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #84
Chunkah

Liverpool headed for 10th.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #85
luds
Night Stalker

Still bummin after the Spurs V City result today.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #86
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
Still bummin after the Spurs V City result today.
yup. terrible. will spurs get another chance at them? balotelli needs to be annihilated by someone during his next game.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #87
numbskull

Balotelli is great, such a perfect villain. I'm kinda liking Man City, nice to see them rocking the boat a bit, the league needs it. This Tevez soap opera is amusing, too. Silva is an amazing player to watch.

Chelsea is a sorry team but gotta love Norwich City. Quite the coaching job there.

Tottenham looks weaker with Bale inside. Other than his goal, he seemed invisible against ManC.

Arsenal was foolish to send Frimpong out on loan. He looked fantastic for Wolves until he took the boot to the head. Arshavin is useless. This Ox-Chamberlian kid was great.

Liverpool has to be the biggest disappointment of the season. At the end of last season they were playing the best soccer in the EPL. Too bad they are run by idiots. Carroll has been a disaster, Henderson, Downing, and Adams are not good enough, they were plain stupid to give up Merileis, and this young Spanish defender they sent away to Norwich is looking like a steal. Losing Lucas hurt, but so has getting Gerard back. As incredible player as he is, his one man team all over the field style seems to create enough uncertainty in his teammates that their play slows and they underperform.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #88
Clogston29
xxx

scott - no more spurs v. city games, city beat them twice. they're hamstrung in those games because city still owns adabyor (they loaned him to someone, who then loaned him to spurs I think), so he can't play against them. but city is just plain better overall. They did not have either of the Torre brothers on Sunday.

a four game ban is under consideration for Balotelli for the stomp, even though the match official didn't call anything. given the FA's recent history of dealing with non-england internations, it would not surprise me. That could be his ticket out of england since the manager and balotelli's agent both seam to be leaning toward a transfer to Italy anyway.

it almost seams that liverpool has the same management as the red sox the way they're going with bad big money signings and locker room turmoil. oh wait, they do. now they want demba ba? Newcastle just brought in a young up and coming striker so maybe its time for them to sell high on Ba in Liverpool with overpay. Liverpool could end up being Newcastle's sponsor on the road back to the being an elite side by financing all of their signings.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #89
Chunkah

Liverpool looked great today against Man S h i t t y! Dominated much of the game and got a much deserved draw in the end. Amazingly Gerrards presence in the lineup didn't seem to confuse and befuddle his teamates....on to Wembley!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #90
numbskull

ManC looked limp against Everton. Awful movement off the ball, few people other than Silva trying to make something happen. They seemed unable to rise the occasion, everyone looking to someone else to save the game. Content to outclass the other team rather than outplay them. Hardly the stuff of champions.

Can say the same for Arsenal vs Bolton. Chamberlain looked special, but Arteta and Song don't have any push in the center and Ramsey, try as he might, is more a box to box guy than a playmaker. Loads of possession but no real idea what to do with it.