Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
buckman

Gloucester hearing report

About 200 attended. Plenty of great speakers from the ABTA, along with Scott Browns camp. This fight is not over and I would expect to see more guys at the Fairhaven hearing.
The hypocracy from NOAA is astounding. To push for an ESA listing while saying there are so many tuna out there that the PLL fleet can't help but catch 160mt is beyond me.
The PLL fleet should clean up there own problem, although I don't believe their dead disgards come even close to the 160 mt that NOAA wants to give to them.
Even PEW is against this. Most likley because rewarding bad fishing practices only will make the problem worse. If this passes then next year will be worse.

Last edited by buckman; 04-02-2011 at 08:55 AM..
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Thanks for the update
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
NOAA is not pushing ESA by any means...An ESA petition was filed and although BS NOAA must respond as the law states. Just trying to get accurate info out there.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
NOAA is not pushing ESA by any means...An ESA petition was filed and although BS NOAA must respond as the law states. Just trying to get accurate info out there.
The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) has petitioned NOAA for an ESA listing for BFT. NOAA has entertained that petition.
Don't for one minute believe this ESA listing won't happen if we sit on the sidelines. Alot of effort has gone into fighting this very real petition. I urge everyone to join ABTA and stay informed and active.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Good turnout on Friday. Thanks to all those that went. The day we sit on the sidelines on this issue will be the day we should get a membership at a country club and sell the gold reels.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
Good turnout on Friday. Thanks to all those that went. The day we sit on the sidelines on this issue will be the day we should get a membership at a country club and sell the gold reels.
Speaking of that...let's play 9 today!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) has petitioned NOAA for an ESA listing for BFT. NOAA has entertained that petition.
Don't for one minute believe this ESA listing won't happen if we sit on the sidelines. Alot of effort has gone into fighting this very real petition. I urge everyone to join ABTA and stay informed and active.
Buckman...now I agree with you completely but I sure hope that the comments at the meeting in Gloucester were focused on the long line quota issues and not the ESA petition because the hearing was about the longline quota issues and any comments about the ESA petition were a waste of breath at that particular hearing. Winning this issue is all about understanding how rulemaking works and making the right moves. ABTA puts out great info but make no mistake if you took the ABTA talking points form the ESA hearings and used them at this hearign it was a huge mistake. This round of hearings is about giving the longliners our fish. Do not make the mistake of confusing the two issues or we will loose on both points.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
....will be the day we should get a membership at a country club and sell the gold reels.

Seriously, This thought has actually crossed my mind...... I got the club membership and plan to use it more this season, I still have the fishing gear but fishing (not just tuna but all fishing) is going it a direction that I can no longer stomach. Don't get me wrong, I love to fish, probably more than any activity, I enjoy many aspects of it but this divide and conquer approach the lawmakers have taken have destroyed fishing IMO. I honestly don't see anything good they've done when you look at the big picture. Step back and look at each species one by one and then look at the entire picture, it is not getting better .

I am going thru the motions again this year but I see the end.

Where is my 60 deg wedge????
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Buckman...now I agree with you completely but I sure hope that the comments at the meeting in Gloucester were focused on the long line quota issues and not the ESA petition because the hearing was about the longline quota issues and any comments about the ESA petition were a waste of breath at that particular hearing. Winning this issue is all about understanding how rulemaking works and making the right moves. ABTA puts out great info but make no mistake if you took the ABTA talking points form the ESA hearings and used them at this hearign it was a huge mistake. This round of hearings is about giving the longliners our fish. Do not make the mistake of confusing the two issues or we will loose on both points.
The meeting was all about PLL and the quota.Our side clearly knew the issue and explained our position.
Little FYI, The Sea Shepard and ilk have set their sights on the Atlantic PLL fleet.The PLL fleet needs our support also.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
Typhoon

Just bought new golf shoes just in case.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Sea Flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Little FYI, The Sea Shepard and ilk have set their sights on the Atlantic PLL fleet.
Holy crap!! Are you serious?

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote