Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #31
Sundowner

I will continue to be a Penn State fan but who knows what this is going to do to the school. This is where we find out what community can mean.Unfortunately, it is not starting off well in my opinion. These kids are backing a name and not looking at what they should be considering. This has been all wrong since the act took place. These kids are just reacting to be part of something and I really hope they smarten up instead of sticking up for a coward, which is really hard for me to say. There is a bronze statue in front of Beaver Stadium of Joe Pa and in the wall behind him is a vast number of football players that look to be following him onto a field. I think that should be removed and the pics of have of me and that statue will be destroyed. Unfortunately the recruits are already recanting their commitments to PSU and this university is in trouble for the foreseeable future. They need a high profile coach to come in there and save them, as well as denounce the winningest coach. Tough challenge
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #32
Raven

VB

Flipping the tv truck...although a huge wreckless act in itself
launches this issue right into the political fray
even more than it was already
which in their mind
was a caculated
Move.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
Saltheart

As I understand it , Paterno reported it to the school admins and the Chief of Campus security. From there , it seems to me the guy who witnessed it should have gone to the Police. Now maybe Paterno should have done more but the guy who saw it happen should have been at the police station in 10 minutes after he saw it.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
As I understand it , Paterno reported it to the school admins and the Chief of Campus security. From there , it seems to me the guy who witnessed it should have gone to the Police. Now maybe Paterno should have done more but the guy who saw it happen should have been at the police station in 10 minutes after he saw it.
the outcome of the investigation was that Sandusky WASN’T banned from campus or the Penn State athletic facilities, he was only barred from bringing children onto campus.

If Paterno had a sack, he wounldn't went along with the above. He knew it, went along with it, helped cover it up and hoped it went away. He has more power there than School Admins and the Chief of Campus Security combined. I agree McQueary should have gone to Police too but that doesn't change anything about Paterno.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #35
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
He's not, even the Police stated he did the legally right thing....right now the argument is whether he did the Morally right thing by making sure he followed up on it instead of just leaving it alone.

it was reported to the head of the athletics department and the head of the Campus police....they sat on it. Now when Joe saw that they sat on it...should he have taken it further up the chain or called the police? that is where the Morally right comes into play. He didn't do anything and that was wrong...and that is why he was fired.

I think McQueary is more Guilty than Joe and if he is still there should be shown the door also....he actually witnessed it and was OK w/ the whole "Ahh, we told him he couldn't bring kids on campus anymore" That's a serious WTF moment if there ever was one. Why didn't he persue it w/ the police either.

to many people screwed the pooch on this one

Anybody involved is going bye bye...the university is in severe damage control right now.
Did you ever stop to consider that the reason the campus cops, the AD, and possibly even the university's president "sat on it" was because Paterno told them to sit on it?

I did. And I'll go you one better. I'd be willing to make a small wager on the fact that the reason the DA dropped that 1999 investigation without charging Sandusky---who was caught on tape by the investigating detective basically admitting what he did--was because Paterno, either personally or through his influence with the PSU administration, told the DA to squelch it.

You're being very naive if you think that the AD, the campus cops, and even PSU's president were Paterno's "superiors" out there. Yes, in theory they were. In practice, Joe ran PSU.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #36
Saltheart

If they can prove he was part of actively covering things up then he's part of a criminal conspiracy. My guess is he reported it to the powrrs above him and then waited to see what happened. Everything he knew was hearsay. Its the guy who saw it first hand that should have been at the police station , not the AD office , not the coaches office , not the school admins. He should have gone to the police.

I honestly don't think a football coach , no matter how iconic , is resonsible for pushing the prosecution of a criminal based on hearsay. Once he bumps it up , its up to the school officials , particularly the president and the Security Chief to pursue it further. Outside the whole fact that it happened at PSU , the eye witness is the guy who didn't do what was right and his failure to act shouldn't fall on Paterno just cause he was the most famous guy.

I also think justice would have been served if Paterna had been given the word that he must retire "now". The same result happens but he gets to save a little respect vs the firing which implicates him in the crime IMO.

Saltheart
Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #37
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm not being naive...and I'm not sticking up for Joe. Like I said....legally he did everything he was supposed to do (not trying to argue law w/ you...I'd get my azz handed to me) he's gone because Morally he didn't do the right thing...he figured he was covered legally so nothing could happen to him...he didn't count on the Moral Issues.

And i think everbody that heard/knew anything about it should be hung out to dry too...including the DA and anyone in the police department

I know Joe and Co. run that town...absolutely.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #38
Stewie
Scarecrow

There are some crimes for which I believe the offenders should be hung by the neck until they stop kicking. These guys deserve this fate.

.......Elvis Lives
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #39
fishbones

How in the hell was McQueary allowed to stay on the staff with the new head coach? This whole story is completey effed up.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
If they can prove he was part of actively covering things up then he's part of a criminal conspiracy. My guess is he reported it to the powrrs above him and then waited to see what happened. Everything he knew was hearsay. Its the guy who saw it first hand that should have been at the police station , not the AD office , not the coaches office , not the school admins. He should have gone to the police.

I honestly don't think a football coach , no matter how iconic , is resonsible for pushing the prosecution of a criminal based on hearsay. Once he bumps it up , its up to the school officials , particularly the president and the Security Chief to pursue it further. Outside the whole fact that it happened at PSU , the eye witness is the guy who didn't do what was right and his failure to act shouldn't fall on Paterno just cause he was the most famous guy.

I also think justice would have been served if Paterna had been given the word that he must retire "now". The same result happens but he gets to save a little respect vs the firing which implicates him in the crime IMO.
Mike--in a place like Penn State, there are no "powers above him". Joe Paterno was the Carlo Gambino of State College, PA. You're indulging him in "passing the buck". And missing what really went on out there, for years.

You have to follow the trail back to the beginning, and start by reading the Grand Jury report. Sandusky was under investigation for child molestation in 1998. Up until that point, he was considered one of the hottest head coaching prospects in all of college football, Paterno's sure-fire successor if Joe ever retired, and if not, a leading candidate for any head coaching job in the country. He was the LB coach and defensive co-ordinator at a program known as "Linebacker U". Yet, in 1999, Paterno tells him that he'll "never" be the head coach, and shortly thereafter, he "retires" at the age of 55, prime coaching years, AND IS OFFERED NO OTHER JOB AT ANY PROGRAM ANYWHERE IN THE US!! He goes from being everyone's hottest HC prospect to a pariah. And shortly after that, the DA out there claims that the charges against Sandusky are "unfounded" despite the fact that the investigating detective has an audio tape of him tearfully apologizing to the victim's mother and telling her what a scuzzbucket he is.

An 8 year old can play this connect the dots game. The fix was put in. Sandusky retires (keeping emeritus status on the faculty, a campus office, access to the university website and all campus facilities), and in return, the allegations get swept under the rug. And 3 years later, a grad assistant comes to Paterno upset, and reports seeing Sandusky bungholing a 10 year old kid in the shower? Leaving aside the fact that this POS himself should have laid Sandusky out on the floor of that shower and dragged the kid to safety, he tells Paterno this the next day, and you think that it's peachy swell that he "reported this to his (mythical) superiors"?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #41
Saltheart

I don't think its "peachy swell" but I do think the bulk of the blame falls elsewhere and that Paterno should have been instructed to retire , not get the boot.

Now I admit I'm not aware of all the upstream stuff you mentioned before the shower incident was witnessed. Maybe there is a "bachground" or "coverup" that Paterno was a part of that I don't know the details of. If that can be proven then I would think he's in some way on the hotseat for criminal charges. That hasn't happened yet.

My first reaction was , as you mention, why didn't the witness stop what was happening immediately by dragging the kid away from Sandusky and then go directly to the police.

I used to travel through State College , PA on a regular basis. It is its own little world and yes Paterno is God there. I still think the Actual witness first , PSU Pres second and the Security Guy third are the ones who should have exposed Sandusky but as you say , maybe "god" didn't want that. ??

Saltheart
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #42
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Piscator - you are right. Even if Paterno reported to his "bosses" as he was supposed to, if the PSU admin covered it up he probably should have gone to the state police / youth services. In the end, nothing here was acceptable.

As a father part of me wonders why Sandusky was not beaten up prior to being reported to authorities.
Sandusky's foundation target at risk kids, those with no fathers in their lives. He farmed his victims, the sick bastard, and he farmed them out as well. According to rumblings.
If evil had a face it's Sandusky.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #43
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Sandusky's foundation target at risk kids, those with no fathers in their lives. He farmed his victims, the sick bastard, and he farmed them out as well. According to rumblings.
If evil had a face it's Sandusky.
Yup, there are strong rumors, from sources out there, that the Second Mile foundation was actually pimping kids out to powerful people in the community, and around the state.

What has come out so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #44
stcroixman

Second Mile foundation will have their Not for profit status yanked by IRS after their inevitable investigation is done, another domino to fall.

I really thought the Board could have made a ballsy statement by saying PSU will finish its regular season schedule and decline a Big 10 Championship game and bowl invite.

They still cover that $5-10 million bowl game so they haven't shown true remorse IMO. This could still happen. It would be another big pill to swallow especially with the lawsuits they are facing
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #45
fishbones

This is getting interesting. Paterno supposedly now has retained a criminal defense attorney. He could be in trouble if he lied to the grand jury.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #46
Piscator

The Penn State Football program generates ~$70,000,000 in revenue each year for the school (yup, $70 Million every year). It was in everyones best interest (including Paterno) to cover this whole thing up and hope it went away.............

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #47
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
The Penn State Football program generates ~$70,000,000 in revenue each year for the school (yup, $70 Million every year). It was in everyones best interest (including Paterno) to cover this whole thing up and hope it went away.............
They are going to need that 70 million now once the law suits start piling up !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #48
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Yup, there are strong rumors, from sources out there, that the Second Mile foundation was actually pimping kids out to powerful people in the community, and around the state.

What has come out so far is just the tip of the iceberg.
That is the sickest part of what I am afraid we are going to see revealed.... Some big names on their different boards, some of whom were not aware they were even on the boards.

Statement from Lou Holtz - ESPN

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #49
striperman36
Old Guy

the DA that indicted Sandusky the first time also 'disappeared' mysteriously

It's going to be a total cluster when it all comes out. I willing to say that many people knew what was up and cast a blind eye in the name of Nittany Lion football.

I am disgusted by my alma mater.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #50
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
That is the sickest part of what I am afraid we are going to see revealed.... Some big names on their different boards, some of whom were not aware they were even on the boards.

Statement from Lou Holtz - ESPN
All of these charitable foundations have big names on their "advisory" boards, and in almost every case, all they're doing is lending their names to the organizations. They rarely, if ever, take part in running things, or even do anything more than lend their names.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #51
stcroixman

Yup, Like Mike P says - It looks really good for the Organization and the individual to be involved with each other.

Then it hits the fan, and you are automatically associated with it.

Lou Holtz wouldn't be associated with a coverup. I still can't believe Paterno was so stupid.

Joe Pa gave up his repuation for his best friend. Some would say Honorable - I say Stupid.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #52
Sundowner

As the student body president said, the eyes of the world are on PSU. Therefor, I believe, and support, anyone that had knowledge of this will be prosecuted criminally and civilly. I said it here earlier and will say it again, Joe Pa is Penn St.(practically Pennsylvania), nothing happens w/ or w/o his say so. Bottom line is, there were many ppl that knew about it and there was not enough done about it. No excuses and no preferential treatment. Everyone must go down for this horrific act.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #53
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
As the student body president said, the eyes of the world are on PSU. Therefor, I believe, and support, anyone that had knowledge of this will be prosecuted criminally and civilly. I said it here earlier and will say it again, Joe Pa is Penn St.(practically Pennsylvania), nothing happens w/ or w/o his say so. Bottom line is, there were many ppl that knew about it and there was not enough done about it. No excuses and no preferential treatment. Everyone must go down for this horrific act.
Having knowledge of a crime, and not reporting it, isn't a crime unless the person in question is a mandated reporter. It would be nice if everyone who looked the other way could go to prison, but the law doesn't allow for it. There would have to be evidence of a cover-up, or using influence to cause the case to be dropped. Obstruction of justice like activity. My guess is that they're investigating that possibility as we speak, and that's what Paterno has retained the services of a top criminal defense attorney.