Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #91
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And an article on those lazy welfare recieving liberals.

The Myth of Welfare’s Corrupting Influence on the Poor
OCT. 20, 2015
Eduardo Porter
ECONOMIC SCENE

Still, Professor Banerjee observed, in many countries, “we encounter the idea that handouts will make people lazy.”

YUP
Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #92
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You do know that Corperate welfare is many times higher than personal welfare, right??? Guess who's fighting real hard for that !!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
No, I don't know that at all. Can you post a study that shows that corporations receive more freebies from the government, than individuals do? I'm curious. And what do the feds get back, in terms of federal income tax, from the employees of the corporations?

Bill Clinton, still a hero to blacks, instituted welfare reform, he kicked a LOT of poor people off welfare. Did they all starve to death? No, they went to work. That's what he intended, and it worked beautifully. And he is a hero to the left.

Today, if someone proposed that, they would be crucified by the left.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #93
Nebe

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government...are-statistics

Here you go Jim.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #94
spence

Quote:
thinkbynumbers? Now that sounds like a site an actuary would love
Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #95
Nebe

You know. Logic ?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #96
Nebe

i can see him now frantically googling this to prove that is is really wrong and blacks, Latinos and the poor are to blame.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #97
spence

Quote:
i can see him now frantically googling this to prove that is is really wrong and blacks, Latinos and the poor are to blame.
You forgot the abortionists.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
thinkbynumbers? Now that sounds like a site an actuary would love
I didn't say he was wrong, I asked for the numbers and he provided them.

Now, what are your thoughts about the fact that the 10 best liberal states, are about as racially diverse as a Bing Crosby concert? I keep asking, you keep dodging. That doesn't stop you from logging on, hurling a baseless insult, and scurrying off.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-30-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
I also asked how much of that corporate welfare we get back, in the form of tax revenue from the employees that have jobs thanks to the welfare.

Is corporate welfare spent so that CEOs can make 25M a year instead of 15M a year? Or is it used so that the company can increase the number of employees it has?

I have no problem whatsoever with ending corporate welfare that isn't used to help large numbers of working people.

I also have no issue with social welfare, which genuinely helps those who have no other recourse.

We need to tighten controls for both corporate welfare and social welfare, so that money isn't wasted, and so that we aren't incentivizing bad behavior.

I worked at a supermarket when I was a kid. Every single month, when food stamps came out, the same exact people would argue with me, trying to use their food stamps to buy cigarettes, makeup, things like that. I don't want my money being used for that purpose.

If you think that means I hate pooor people, I would disagree.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #100
Jim in CT

Quote:
Spence posted a poll saying that the "best" states to live in, were states that had FAR fewer blacks than the national average. I pointed that out. How does that make me the racist, exactly?

I'm all ears...
Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #101
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Now, what are your thoughts about the fact that the 10 best liberal states, are about as racially diverse as a Bing Crosby concert? I keep asking, you keep dodging. That doesn't stop you from logging on, hurling a baseless insult, and scurrying off.
I think it has a lot more to do with the history of slavery, migration caused by Southern segregation, disenfranchisement and industrial growth than liberal policy.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #102
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think it has a lot more to do with the history of slavery, migration caused by Southern segregation, disenfranchisement and industrial growth than liberal policy.
Huh??

I never said that liberalism was the reason why there are few blacks in those states. I said that it's interesting that every single state in the liberal top 10, according to you, is overwhelmingly white. I would think that to a staunch liberal, such white purity would be unattractive.

I suspect that if they moved the city of Chicago, or the Mexican border, to any of those states, they would immediately drop out of the liberal top 10. That is pure speculation on my part. But it's a safe bet.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #103
PaulS

Jim is a big believer in that correlation means causation theory.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #104
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim is a big believer in that correlation means causation theory.
Again, putting words in my mouth. You really take liberties there.

I am a big believer that when there is credible data, correlation usually, not always, implies some causation.

For someone who still claims that I am "speculating" that those 10 states are awfully white, despite the evidence, all of a sudden you are a stats expert?

Look at the 10 states that liberals identify as the top 10. Is there anytihng else that connects them so consistently, as their whiteness? i don't know. But when all 10 have 75% fewer blacks than the nationwoide average, anyone who took stats 101 would say that sure sticks out. You could also say that most are in the north. Those frigid winters tend to keep out the riff-raff.

Sorry that doesn't serve your agenda. Math doesn't care about such things.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #105
spence

Quote:
I am a big believer that when there is credible data, correlation usually, not always, implies some causation.
That depends on who's analyzing the data.

Quote:
Look at the 10 states that liberals identify as the top 10. Is there anytihng else that connects them so consistently, as their whiteness? i don't know. But when all 10 have 75% fewer blacks than the nationwoide average, anyone who took stats 101 would say that sure sticks out. You could also say that most are in the north. Those frigid winters tend to keep out the riff-raff.
I answered this question above yet you simply didn't understand it.

I liked your last sentence though.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #106
Jim in CT

Quote:
That depends on who's analyzing the data.

I answered this question above yet you simply didn't understand it.

I liked your last sentence though.
Yuo did???

"history of slavery, migration caused by Southern segregation, disenfranchisement and industrial growth "

Please elaborate on why those things lead to extremely low black populations, in the states that liberals rank "best"? Even if those things explained low black population in those particular states (which they don't), it doesn't explain why all 10 of the liberal "top 10" happen to be so white? You didn't come close to explaining that.

"I liked your last sentence though"

Well, I presume there is a reason that the top 10 liberal states are not only very white, but also nowhere near the large border with Mexico. Why do you suppose that is? Here', I'll make it easy for you, I will make it fill in the blank.

I, Spence, think that the top 10 liberal states to live in, are almost all white, and not near the Mexican border, because _________.

Now, you go ahead and fill that in, please.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #107
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Face it, you just have African American's on your mind.
Call it what it is.....Jungle Fever

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #108
PaulS

Quote:
Again, putting words in my mouth. You really take liberties there.

For someone who still claims that I am "speculating" that those 10 states are awfully white, despite the evidence, all of a sudden you are a stats expert?

But when all 10 have 75% fewer blacks than the nationwoide average, anyone who took stats 101 would say that sure sticks.
I'm not putting words in your mouth or taking liberties, that is exactly what your doing. You're speculating the poll was based on the % of whites. I don't believe you have ever asked for a link to see what went into the poll.

And any first year actuarial student would know correlation does not mean causation. Yet you continue to believe that while there is some correlation, there is causation w/o looking into it further. Would you do that at work?

Last edited by PaulS; 10-31-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #109
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm not putting words in your mouth or taking liberties, that is exactly what your doing. You're speculating the poll was based on the % of whites. I don't believe you have ever asked for a link to see what went into the poll.

And any first year actuarial student would know correlation does not mean causation. Yet you continue to believe that while there is some correlation, there is causation w/o looking into it further. Would you do that at work?
"You're speculating the poll was based on the % of whites."

I asked him what he thought about the fact the top 10 states were so white. I didn't say the states were picked for their whiteness, but they sure weren't picked for their ethnic diversity.

"And any first year actuarial student would know correlation does not mean causation"

Correlation implies a pretty darn good likelihood of causation, though not a certainty.

"you continue to believe that while there is some correlation, there is causation w/o looking into it further"

I asked him to explain the whiteness of those states, and he chose not to. I asked him to post the poll so that I could see the criteria, and he chose not to. Not sure what else I can do there.