Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #31
wdmso

Avenatti was accused of seeking to extort up 25 million
He had threatened to release information that might be harmful to Nike.

He was found guilty by a jury after a three-week trial and could face up to 42 years in prison when sentenced in June.

Wow 42 years and nike never paid him a dime
No comments from Trump?
But his pal stone

This was an old-fashioned shakedown," prosecutor Geoffrey Berman said at the time. Sounds a lot like Trump and Ukraine
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Avenatti was accused of seeking to extort up 25 million
He had threatened to release information that might be harmful to Nike.

He was found guilty by a jury after a three-week trial and could face up to 42 years in prison when sentenced in June.

Wow 42 years and nike never paid him a dime
No comments from Trump?
But his pal stone

This was an old-fashioned shakedown," prosecutor Geoffrey Berman said at the time. Sounds a lot like Trump and Ukraine
You not only see things that were not said, you see (or hear?) equivalence that doesn't exist--wdmso dodge ball.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #33
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You not only see things that were not said, you see (or hear?) equivalence that doesn't exist--wdmso dodge ball.
Not seeing anything ..just presenting the facts. As they are
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Not seeing anything ..just presenting the facts. As they are
"Sounds like" is an opinion. It is a fact that it is your opinion. There is no proof that "Trump and Ukraine" was a "shakedown." Except as some biased version of "proof" concocted in your mind.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The most serious charge against Stone was witness tampering. That witness, Randy Credico, says he never felt intimidated by what Stone said, that it was typical Stone bluster, that Stone didn't really mean it. He wrote a letter to the Judge explaining that, and he was not asked by the prosecutors if he felt intimidated. Stone's lying to Congress bit was no worse than Brennan's, or Comey's, or Hillary's lies for which they have yet to serve any prison time. And in the committing of these process crimes which would never have occurred if Stone had not been investigated on bogus pretenses which turned out to be unproven, he was a first time non-violent offender. And Barr was right to object to the overly harsh sentence.

Barr is doing a good job. He doesn't "needs to go." You're just being a partisan hack. And it appears to many others that Stone was being set up. Who knows? But it is not baseless or conspiratorial to think that or to object the sentence of 7 to 9 years.
He said many times he felt intimidated, he did clarify though he didn’t think Stone would actually hurt him be he was worried Stone could activate crazies who would.

Cause he’s a dirty trickster.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He said many times he felt intimidated, he did clarify though he didn’t think Stone would actually hurt him be he was worried Stone could activate crazies who would.

Cause he’s a dirty trickster.
If he was worried Stone could activate crazies who would hurt him, why did he write a letter to the Judge not to sentence Stone to prison? And in the letter he did not characterize Stone as dirty, quite the opposite, a good guy who helped repeal draconian Rockefeller drug laws:

"Dear Judge Jackson,
I am writing to respectfully yet fervently implore you not to send Roger Stone to prison when he is sentenced before your Honor. I feel so strongly about this for a number of reasons.
Let me begin by saying I stand by my testimony in your courtroom on November 7-8, 2019.
In fact, I stand by all of my testimony throughout the Mueller investigation and the pre-trial conversations I had with the DC prosecution team. That being said, there was more that I wish I had the opportunity to express had I not been limited by the questions asked of me.
Most notably was after Mr. Stone’s defense attorney asked if I had ever thought Mr. Stone was going to steal or harm my dog Bianca. My answer was an emphatic “No.” At the time I was hoping he would follow that question with another asking if I had ever personally felt threatened by Mr. Stone. The answer would have been the same. I never in any way felt that Stone himself posed a direct physical threat to me or to my dog. I chalked up his bellicose tirades to “Stone being Stone.” All bark and no bite!
As I said in the courtroom, I met Mr. Stone in 2002 during my organization’s struggle to repeal New York’s racist and Draconian Rockefeller Drug Laws. Stone was an invaluable benefit to the movement. He played a critical role in propelling the movement forward when he convinced his candidate to make the drug law a key issue in the Governor’s race.
That campaign spent millions of dollars focusing on the effects of these harsh and discriminatory laws. After the election Stone continued his commitment to the movement for at least another year. The laws were changed in 2004 and many of those serving ungodly life sentences were released and reunited with their families.
During those years of working to change the Rockefeller Drug Laws and other criminal justice inequities, I visited countless prisoners behind bars and their families. The damage done to the incarcerated is magnified tenfold by the damage done to their family members.
I know this damage firsthand. I am the son of a survivor of the U.S. prison system. My father spent 10 years of his life behind bars before he married and had children. The mental scars of those years never left my father’s soul. As kids, my brother, sister and I could feel the pain radiating from him as though it were our own. As adults, we all struggled with addiction and/ or alcoholism. It has taken a long time to heal those wounds and live a sober life.
I was told that when fashioning a sentence, federal judges look to what is “sufficient, but not greater than necessary” to meet the goals of sentencing. I understand that Roger Stone has broken federal laws, but a prison sentence is beyond what is required in this case. It is not justice. It is cruelty. Indeed, with all of his talent and knowledge, Mr. Stone would be an ideal candidate for participation in an alternative to incarceration program that would serve and benefit needy organizations or distressed communities."

And Credico also may have had guilt feelings for denying he was Stone's backchannel to Wikileaks--interesting timeline provided by Daily Caller:

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/22/m...one-wikileaks/

Last edited by detbuch; 02-17-2020 at 08:24 PM..