Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
kippy
Got Necco's?

Thanksgiving Dinner

Home cooked or store bought? mine will be home cooked..

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
HOMECOOKED!

2 FAT TURKEYS IN THE OVEN!

Thank god my brother is cooking, not me.

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Jimbo

The thread starter was just Thanksgiving Dinner so without being accused of hijacking let me say range-fed, antibiotic free turkey, brined and slow cooked. But the real question is, Guess Who's Coming for Turkey?
OK, here goes, in one breath, see if anyone can top this. So I am spending every spare moment I have getting the dining room finished for a party of 18 or so on our first in 20 years Thanksgiving get-together. OK, I ask, "Everyone still coming, because I have to order an expensive, range fed, antibiotic-free, freshly killed turkey?" "Yup, we're all still coming." So's I order my bird a week and a half ahead of time, right after which my father in law calls to say his wife has a touch of pneumonia so they can't come. This freaks the Mrs. out because our littlest one just had it and a day after she got on medication she was good to go to school again, but her stepmother can't recover in 10 days? Mrs. jimbo's paranoia kicks in, thinking "it's a plot" they're all going to come up with excuses not to come. So then her dad calls back in a few days and says maybe he was a little hasty in his decision, he'd let us know on the 25th if they were coming or not. Fine. Short notice, but I'm gonna have turkey coming out the wazoo either way. Then my wife's sister calls. She's pregnant with her 4th and has an autistic child for whom they had bought a special lab for and for some unknown reason scratched the child with his paw which required 8 stitches. So I'm guessing they're out, just haven't called to say so. Last night my other sister-in-law calls and says she hit a telephone pole avoiding a deer, so she's a maybe. Today we get my older daughter to the doctor because of a sore throat and slight temperature. She gets the award from the doctor for grossest throat this week, plus the chance she might have mono (of course, kissing a boy in the basement for a Saturday afternoon what else are you going to get?!). Well now with her having some viral condition, the father-in-law tells us they definitely won't be coming because he's scared he'll get the flu (don't ask) even though he's had his shots and the pregnant sister won't be coming, but her other sister who totaled her car in the telephone pole is still planning to come, but her husband might not because he's pissed at her for swerving to avoid the deer and hitting the pole instead of plowing thru the deer which would have resulted in less damage to the car.
I'm sure come tomorrow around 4:00PM, I will be sitting sadly at the head of a long, empty table like Henry the 8th, listening to Alice's Restaurant, with a goblet of wine, hacking off and eating pieces of a range fed, antibiotic-free 18 pound turkey until I'm drunk and full enough to go upstairs and debauch my wife and fall asleep. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I really mean that, and drive carefully, there's alot of maniacs on the road this time of year..
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
Bronko

I can't beat that! But, Happy Thanksgiving to all the S-B members and their families. Enjoy a great holiday and God Bless.
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
I'm sure come tomorrow around 4:00PM, I will be sitting sadly at the head of a long, empty table like Henry the 8th, listening to Alice's Restaurant, with a goblet of wine, hacking off and eating pieces of a range fed, antibiotic-free 18 pound turkey until I'm drunk and full enough to go upstairs and debauch my wife and fall asleep.
That sounds like the perfect day to me. Judging from what you said earlier this should be a lot less stressful.

I'd love a holiday where I could just stay home w/ my wife and my kids.....That would be heaven

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Cool

Jimbo,

Sounds like Turkey Fling time.

Seriously, enjoy the holiday with your immediate family.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #7
Carl

Right now we will have a total 16 people including my wife and me and kids. 10 adults and 6 kids from ages 7 to just over 1 year old. We also have an oven with a temperment from hell. It either takes 35 minutes to preheat or about 3 1/2 minutes to turn 12 muffins to a fine gray ash. It should be interesting.

Carl
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Mr. Sandman

I broke the oven...wife is not happy about this and is now planning to re-model the entire kitchen...this looks to be painful.
Will be roasting the bird on the BBQ spit out side this year.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I'm going to my Dad's this year, and I don't have to cook or clean..NICE!!! There will be 6 of us, so that's pretty mello, the way I see it; eating by 12:30 on the couch watching football by 1:30, sleeping due to eating too much by 1:42. Not nearly as nerve-racking as Jimbo.....I wish you luck....and good luck to you with that stove Carl....and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Have a safe holiday. Jay
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Talking

everyone's coming over me and the old man are going to cook Then we're gonna eat then not driving anywhere, dont plan on doin much walkin either..

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
kippy
Got Necco's?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

HAMMER TIME!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
spence

Keeping is simple for a small crowd. Frenched crown roast of pork w/wild rice, apple and sausage stuffing. Roasted turnip and carrot puree. Salad. Get to bed early and off to BI at 6:30am.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
fishaholic18
Finally

Happy Turkey Day!

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #14
fishaholic18
Finally

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0082.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	6372  

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:15 PM   #15
cheferson

Tossin the bird on the grill!!!!
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 PM   #16
beamie

FFF

I like to refer to it as FORCED FAMILY FUN.

Will be going to one of 3 sisters house for dinner. 2 of 3 sisters married to well off French guys. So have to listen to either French all afternoon or french sounding english. Oh boy, can you feel my pain.

Hopefully she won't dry out the bird. Probably following some dump a$$ french recipe that no one but them will like.

Hope all you SB guys have a great day.

Jon
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #17
kippy
Got Necco's?

Re: FFF

Quote:
Originally posted by beamie
I like to refer to it as FORCED FAMILY FUN.

Will be going to one of 3 sisters house for dinner. 2 of 3 sisters married to well off French guys. So have to listen to either French all afternoon or french sounding english. Oh boy, can you feel my pain.

Hopefully she won't dry out the bird. Probably following some dump a$$ french recipe that no one but them will like.

Hope all you SB guys have a great day.

Jon
gotta love the french...

HAMMER TIME!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #18
MrsSFrances
Inhaling Paint Fumes

home cooked all the way..got the 21pound birdzilla in the oven stuffed to the hill with homemade stuffin...mashed taters, veggies, homemade gravy, and a pumpkin custard pie and a homemade cookie pie....

just me the hubby and our kids and my mom...

happy bird day all!

MrsSFrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #19
RickBomba

Medoicre dinner for me, spent hours in traffic, but got to see the rents and rappin Mikey...glad the girlie stuck through the ride out there.
Cooked two Thanksgiving dinners last week, one for the staff of the new place, one for my girl's friends at our apartment (while I was working I might add).
The important thing about today was being with people who wanted the last vestiges of the Bombardier family to be together.
Made me feel special and was certainly worth the wait in traffic!
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 PM   #20
RickBomba

PS- Bombardier is French...luckilly I'm almost all Irish!
Later,
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote