Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
I have no interest in seeing the photos either.

The author of this article seems like the type of individual who sits back and listens to her self speak with pauses so as she can find the words, to make her seem as intelligent as possible. She espouses theories on how law enforcement officials should have handled the situation. In her world surrounded by psychophantes and self congratulating "scholars" I am certain her thoughts are applauded and revered.

Those of us that realize life isn't lived in a vaccuum where variables such as "gun fire, bombs and fear of death" can appreciate the handling of the situation by the officers in question and do not question how the events unfolded.

There will always be people like this author hopefully all people will never be like this author.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I want to pause

so I sound more intelligent

but I can't

because this post

was

so

great

I'm more and more convinced that Poli-Sci professors and other disciplines should be required to spend time out of academia, minimum 3 out of every 10 years. Right now they are like a Self-licking Ice Cream Cone with no need to live in the real world, just their Happy Place.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

I want to pause

so I sound more intelligent

but I can't

because this post

was

so

great

I'm more and more convinced that Poli-Sci professors and other disciplines should be required to spend time out of academia, minimum 3 out of every 10 years. Right now they are like a Self-licking Ice Cream Cone with no need to live in the real world, just their Happy Place.
Agreed I think the same could be said about any one who gains a living in the political world. If senators reps etc were required to maintain an income outside of their appointments. We would see an influx of those that truly wanted a better nation. Not just those Individuals that can sell a false idol to catch a free ride.

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Agreed I think the same could be said about any one who gains a living in the political world. If senators reps etc were required to maintain an income outside of their appointments. We would see an influx of those that truly wanted a better nation. Not just those Individuals that can sell a false idol to catch a free ride.
That was the situation when this nation was founded. Federal senators and reps were not "full time." Their pay was not all that good, and they spent most of the time tending to their own business. They weren't constantly campaigning. Laws they passed affected them as directly as they did anyone else. They understood and operated under the limitations the Constitution placed on them. And they assembled periodically to do any needed tweaking or fixing within those limited bounds.

Our modern pols convinced us that seeing to all aspects of our lives was more important than limitations on an outdated piece of parchment placed on them. So they needed to 24/7 watch over us. And, of course, the proper remuneration to do so, and the massive staffs necessary to help them, and the creation of unelected regulatory agencies to actually flesh out the rules we live by. This is the way to a better nation, don't you see?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
JohnR

Quote:
And they need to take at least 3 years off from time of retirement / lost election before they can work as a lobbyist. Oh, toss in term limits too. Otherwise they are just Champions of the Political Class.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
And they need to take at least 3 years off from time of retirement / lost election before they can work as a lobbyist. Oh, toss in term limits too. Otherwise they are just Champions of the Political Class.
I agree w/the term limits - 3 sounds about right. The outside income i have a problem with. I want them spending 100% of their time on running the country. You also run the risk of someone beholding to their employeer or no show type of jobs. The do have to run 2 households - home and in Washington.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I agree w/the term limits - 3 sounds about right. The outside income i have a problem with. I want them spending 100% of their time on running the country. You also run the risk of someone beholding to their employeer or no show type of jobs. The do have to run 2 households - home and in Washington.
Agree:

• Term Limits: 2 or 3 Senate (that is 18 years!), 3 House
  • I want them dedicated to the job as well. The blind trusts that manage their affairs in office should be verified to ensure it is above board but for the most part it works.
Still, preventing lobbying for 3 (maybe 5) years after leaving office may reduce some of the influence lobbying has.

Apocalypse is Coming: