Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 08-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #151
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Customers should only be allowed to sign checks,,,, ;-). LOL
Haha yeah....I have to hold back what I really think when they ask me a stupid question...."how could this have happened?".
me...."well someone either moved the window or the wall" or could it be your designer just #^&#^&#^&#^&ed it up?
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #152
Rmarsh

Started another install..... soffit detail in progress.....not liking the microwave location right next to upper corner cabinet.....also unequal spacing from cabinets to window casing. I just install....but sometimes have to ask when I see a potential problem. I did and was told.... all approved by the customer. Frost white cabinets and Expresso (dark brown) island does not look good to me.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:05 AM..
Old 09-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #153
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

What table is that???? Did it come with a fence too? Heavy? Like that...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #154
Rmarsh

Ross.....its a Husky brand from Home Depot....99 bucks....legs are easily detachable and store under table....also set up for attaching a router underneath...comes with other hardware for making extended work support.
It has recessed tracks in the table top to receive a hex bolt..... to attach a fence or hold saw down.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 09-06-2021 at 08:36 AM..
Old 09-09-2021, 05:01 AM   #155
Rmarsh

Finished the soffit and crown on this one... going to wait for hardwood to finish up island cabinets. Next house...cabinets were delivered after lunch....so I didnt get them all up. This one will have micro drawer in the Island.

Old 09-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #156
Rmarsh

Kitchen installation was going smoothly.....until i took on the job of installing the hood vent. WTF!

The pvc vent had to be moved over to the next bay and the 3 x 10 vent extended 90 degrees and to the left.
A fellow employee had placed the metal venting incorrectly during the rough....and then the plumber installed his pvc... thinking he was clear of it.....my guy took responsibility and did a very good job fixing it all.
Glad I didnt have to deal with that mess!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:14 AM   #157
Hookedagain

I hate when these kind of mistakes are made. I mark up everything when its in the rough, crayons and spray paint all over the place. Hood, gas, island, etc. and somehow they still take it upon themself to put things where "THEY" want it. Looks great as always.

I can't wait to get back!! I've been out for 7 weeks with Covid and pneumonia. Seems like its been a year. Stay healthy my friend....this sucks!
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #158
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
I hate when these kind of mistakes are made. I mark up everything when its in the rough, crayons and spray paint all over the place. Hood, gas, island, etc. and somehow they still take it upon themself to put things where "THEY" want it. Looks great as always.

I can't wait to get back!! I've been out for 7 weeks with Covid and pneumonia. Seems like its been a year. Stay healthy my friend....this sucks!
Hope you are back soon, Spud! Try being out for the better part of two years.... Sucked. Wife is a saint...

During kitchen roughs I use a piece of strapping screwed to studs and mark it with what goes where with magic marker. One time, the electrician decided to use that for his needs, without asking...??? Last time I used his company. Is a friend too. Made his guys take their work down and bring the "story board" back to me in pieces. He whined about their time. Told him to pound sand.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:10 AM   #159
Rmarsh

Done with this one....still not sure that I like the island in the expresso color. Nice part about doing all these houses with white cabinets is.... any left over crown, soffit, fillers or toe-kick can be used on the next job if I run short.
A co-worker of mine is doing the stair finishing now......and doing it as well as I could. My hands have gone through a lot of use and abuse over the last 48 years in the trade........they dont function as well as they once did......even my pinky fingers are stiff and useless.....feel like they are just in the way.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Old 10-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #160
Rmarsh

Cleaned up ..... ready for occupancy.

Yesterday my boss asked me about my plans for retirement...I had mentioned to him a few months ago that I will turn 66 this december.
He has been struggling with how much work to take on in the coming year....says he may have to turn down jobs if manpower is not there.
He has always been very selective...or wary of new hires as they can be a total bust.

I told him that my head is still in it and I enjoy my work and the guys I work with. Bottom line is i intend to keep working until I cant. But also that I would like to have more time off during boating season....so part time next summer. He was glad to hear Im not going anywhere. He told me that the almost new company truck I drive will be mine to keep when I leave.......I will start collecting my ss in a few months but salt them away for future use.
The camera is distorting the stairway picture.....I know for a fact that the railing mounted to the wall is dead nuts parallel with the skirtboard

Old 10-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #161
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Cleaned up ..... ready for occupancy.

Yesterday my boss asked me about my plans for retirement...I had mentioned to him a few months ago that I will turn 66 this december.
He has been struggling with how much work to take on in the coming year....says he may have to turn down jobs if manpower is not there.
He has always been very selective...or wary of new hires as they can be a total bust.

I told him that my head is still in it and I enjoy my work and the guys I work with. Bottom line is i intend to keep working until I cant. But also that I would like to have more time off during boating season....so part time next summer. He was glad to hear Im not going anywhere. He told me that the almost new company truck I drive will be mine to keep when I leave.......I will start collecting my ss in a few months but salt them away for future use.
Glad to hear this Bob… lord knows you’ve earned it… ( deserve? )

Stop wishin, go fishin, LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #162
Rmarsh

Quote:
Glad to hear this Bob… lord knows you’ve earned it… ( deserve? )

Stop wishin, go fishin, LOL

Thanks Ray. I've had jobs with several different employers over the years......some were disrespectful and unappreciative nitpickers.
Worked for these guys for almost twenty years now.....never ever had bad feelings....always positive and uplifting....makes coming to work enjoyable........unlike the guys running the millwork shop where I spent too much time before quitting....where we employees were treated like "dime a dozen.... throw away.... pos". I actually overheard that from that boss.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #163
Guppy
User

Quote:
Thanks Ray. I've had jobs with several different employers over the years......some were disrespectful and unappreciative nitpickers.
Worked for these guys for almost twenty years now.....never ever had bad feelings....always positive and uplifting....makes coming to work enjoyable........unlike the guys running the millwork shop where I spent too much time before quitting....where we employees were treated like "dime a dozen.... throw away.... pos". I actually overheard that from that boss.
Some of us “GET IT”
Old 10-15-2021, 05:08 AM   #164
Rmarsh

Back to work on the little house on columns. The stair and railings are finished up .... now to enclose the entire underside of the house with pvc sheets and trim.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:00 AM   #165
Rmarsh

Lot of pvc....with screws and plugs on this ceiling. Working on finishing up an outdoor shower under the stairs
Kitchen here is done too.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:08 AM   #166
Rmarsh

Room with a view........not a lot of boats around last couple of days.
Flooring is driftwood color wood grained luxury vinyl planks.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:07 AM   #167
Guppy
User

Awesome room…
Dish washer,,, ?

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...9&d=1634720275
Old 10-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #168
Rmarsh

Quote:
No dishwasher in this one Ray.
You sure do have a good eye for these things. I have no say in the design....just install.
It's a summer home...so maybe not a lot of cooking?... it's a small kitchen already and dishwasher would take up some base cabinet space.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #169
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I need to "finish" the underside of a part of my deck... what material was used to do that Bob? Are those 1/4" sheets of flat pvc? I was thinking of using the pvc beadboard sheets but still not sure, also, how was it trimmed out? are they sitting directly on the seams or inset between the seams? any details would be greatly appreciated

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #170
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
I need to "finish" the underside of a part of my deck... what material was used to do that Bob? Are those 1/4" sheets of flat pvc? I was thinking of using the pvc beadboard sheets but still not sure, also, how was it trimmed out? are they sitting directly on the seams or inset between the seams? any details would be greatly appreciated

We used 1/2" thick 4x8 sheets of flat pvc.....(in stock at DBS)
First we got all the sheet stock pvc, screwed and plugged to the bottom of the floor joists...we then covered the seams where sheets are butted and the perimeter with batten strips of 3/4" x 2 1/2" pvc.
.... you might want to consider using the pvc t&g beadboard....not the 4x8 sheets......it's 1/2" thick x 5" wide ...it would a little easier to install than the sheets especially if doing by yourself. I got a piece in the shop so i went out a took a picture for you.
You can blind nail it and not need screws and plugs.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #171
Rmarsh

Seems like im always working somewhere that has distractions.
Had to flash a waste oil burner flue to a metal roof for these boat guys........I love boats! They are all coming in for winterization and storage i quess.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:59 AM..
Old 10-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #172
Guppy
User

Quote:
Seems like im always working somewhere that has distractions.
Had to flash a waste oil burner flue to a metal roof for these boat guys........I love boats! They are all coming in for winterization and storage i quess.
Second boat from the bottom hard to find, would luv one
Old 10-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #173
Rmarsh

Ray......that one caught my eye too....all wood construction.....the size and variety of boats kept here is amazing.....better than a boat show! The building is pretty huge.....there will be a crapload of boats packed like sardines in there over the winter.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #174
Rmarsh

Another basic kitchen...white again.......upper cabinets are 42" high with ceiling height of 9'....no soffit...just a crown mldg. at top of cabinets. I install these without help from anyone.....do the uppers first with cabinet supported on stilts....which are longer than the floor to cabinet bottom....at an angle so i can adjust and then fasten.
......they got the vent work for the fan in the correct location this time! Micro in the island cabinets which are a gray color.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #175
Rmarsh

I stand corrected.......my plan showed open soffit....with a small crown at the top of upper cabinets. But after opening some of the boxes and I found a huge crown moulding that measures 8" across. ....after further discussion with the cabinet provider... and contrary to the plan..... there will be a soffit.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #176
Guppy
User

Quote:
I stand corrected.......my plan showed open soffit....with a small crown at the top of upper cabinets. But after opening some of the boxes and I found a huge crown moulding that measures 8" across. ....after further discussion with the cabinet provider... and contrary to the plan..... there will be a soffit.
Geeeesh, that should be fun now…. ;-)
Old 10-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #177
Rmarsh

Quote:
Geeeesh, that should be fun now…. ;-)

I can build the soffit no problem........just cant stand insufficient or incorrect plans.
When I drew commercial millwork my drawings were exact....they had to be as they were part of the contract documents.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:54 AM   #178
Rmarsh

I have a plan on how to tackle this one. This soffit is 11" high....kitchen supplier gave me prefinished white 1/4" thick 4'x8' sheet to cover the space....but thats too thin and flexible by itself.....ill have to back it up with 1/2" plywood first. The cleats I attached to the top of the cabinets and ceiling are rabbeted to receive the 1/2 plywood backer. The transition from cabinet to soffit will have a square edge nosing to hide the joint. Then the crown moulding can go up.....the crown moulding is....huuuuge!

Old 10-28-2021, 03:19 AM   #179
Rmarsh

This crown is too big to cut the miters the usual way....got to use compound angles with the crown flat on the saw bed.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:52 AM   #180
Rmarsh

This chart shows the compound angles for cutting crown flat on the saw bed.......which I seldom do.....but is neccesary for this 8" crown. Spring angle on most crown moulding is 38 degrees......this crown is a 45 spring angle. So for a 90 degree corner... 35.3 miter and 30 bevel....even with these correct settings....the slightest error can cause distortion and cuts wont match perfectly.
Most compound saws have the miter and bevel settings marked for cutting a 45 degree angle....but will only work for 38 spring angle.
When I got to the corner cabinet where I usually cut my moulding at 22 1/2 degrees....i got a little confused.....took some head scratching to realize that the correct "wall angle" to use is 135 degrees....miter set to 16.3 and bevel @15.7......voila!

Last edited by Rmarsh; 10-29-2021 at 05:26 AM..