Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #241
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
he said no such thing in Rome. he talked about two different topics

I don’t like the idea of 9 unelected judges getting to decide for all of us, what they think the constitution means. That isn’t any kind of religious argument.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yea, he did talk about his belief in the importance of religion and implied that Boris Johnson lost because he commented unfavorably about the radical SCOTUS overturning Roe.
Very difficult to overstate how dangerous this is. A Supreme Court justice suggesting that "secular society" is a risk, that the government somehow favors or even is dependent on religion and believers over others is a step toward theocracy and away from our founding principles.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-30-2022, 06:52 PM   #242
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Yea, he did talk about his belief in the importance of religion and implied that Boris Johnson lost because he commented unfavorably about the radical SCOTUS overturning Roe.
Very difficult to overstate how dangerous this is. A Supreme Court justice suggesting that "secular society" is a risk, that the government somehow favors or even is dependent on religion and believers over others is a step toward theocracy and away from our founding principles.
again, the court has been radical left your whole life, and you can’t handle the change. i’m sorry.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #243
Pete F.
Canceled

Alito’s argument is that the right to abortion is “egregiously wrong” because it is not “deeply rooted in our history and tradition” and respondents are “unable to show that a constitutional right to abortion was established when the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted.”
Here’s the problem with this argument. Women didn’t have any rights when the 14th Amendment was adopted; not just abortion. Women didn’t even get the right to vote until five Amendments later. This in no way justifies ripping rights to bodily autonomy from women in 2022.
While he only expressly targets Roe and Casey in this brief, if the standard for our rights going forward is what is referenced in the Constitution or what is deeply rooted in our history and tradition, then the only rights that are safe are those belonging to straight white men.
Overturning Roe will be an unmitigated disaster for women. It will immediately trigger abortion bans in at least 13 states and near-bans in another 12. It will open the door for states to criminalize contraception, miscarriage, and even medical procedures to save a mother’s life.
And if Roe can be overturned simply because a majority of illegitimate justices appointed explicitly to take rights away from marginalized groups says so, then every civil rights decision will fall by the same distorted standards used to abrogate this near five decade precedent.
Over 80% of Americans oppose this. Think about what it says that Republican-appointed justices feel comfortable essentially invalidating the legitimacy of their entire institution to impose their will, which is rooted in a religious belief that fetuses are humans (they aren’t).
Not to mention that banning abortion doesn’t reduce abortion, it just reduces SAFE abortion meaning more women will DIE during the procedure. Or that access to safe, legal abortion leads to FEWER ABORTIONS and SAVES LIVES. There’s nothing pro-life about any of this. ZERO.
The ancient recognition of a right as a prerequisite to its contemporary acceptance defies the role of the court to be the nonpartisan branch of government that protects the lives, liberties and property of all persons from the overreach of Congress, the President, and the states
As for the claim that we can only respect or uphold rights that are explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, this would invalidate most of the rights we currently have. The majority of our freedoms are unenumerated; meaning they are inferred based on the text of the Constitution
Any conservative who thinks it’s some sort of “gotcha!” to say “show me where in the Constitution it says you have the right to an abortion! You can’t! Ha!” it’s not. You are just very very stupid.
You know what is in the constitution? Slavery. So why do we think it’s sole perfect,handed down from Moses, document?
Old 07-31-2022, 05:30 AM   #244
scottw

Quote:

which is rooted in a religious belief that fetuses are humans (they aren’t).

this thinking is evil ......and stupid beyond words
Old 07-31-2022, 06:19 AM   #245
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this thinking is evil ......and stupid beyond words
it’s taking self centeredness to evangelical heights.

and it is stupid, you don’t need to be religious to think an unborn is a person. you just need to have a little honesty and empathy and heart.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #246
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So for those who need reminding:
In the last few WEEKS, the GQP has said f you to:
- Women
- Members of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Veterans
- Mother Earth
- School children (some of whom will soon enough be the product of forced births)

Simultaneously, it has hugged:
- Guns
you just need to have a little honesty and empathy and heart.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-31-2022, 11:14 AM   #247
Jim in CT

Quote:
you just need to have a little honesty and empathy and heart.
wel we ( including the most middle of the road guy here) proved you were lying about what the GOP did to “vets”, so you have zero credibility on the other issues.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #248
PaulS

Quote:
wel we ( including the most middle of the road guy here) proved you were lying about what the GOP did to “vets”, so you have zero credibility on the other issues.
Who is the most middle of the road here?
Old 07-31-2022, 12:14 PM   #249
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Who is the most middle of the road here?
TDF has agreed with, and disagreed with, everybody.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #250
PaulS

Quote:
TDF has agreed with, and disagreed with, everybody.
I have never seen that. He usually just comments on people from the left's posts.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:34 PM   #251
Jim in CT

Quote:
I have never seen that. He usually just comments on people from the left's posts.
then what you see, is less than accurate.

He’s disagreed with me many times. And he’s had a valid point every single time he does. so instead of insulting him, pergaps reflect on why he’s saying what he’s saying.

in this case, the gop did not vote against helping vets. they voted against the dems’ attempt to exploit a bill helping vets, by sneaking in a budgetary gimmick. that’s what happened. but not one of you can say it.

if the dems propose a clean bill with no gimmicks and the gop votes against that, then i’ll be the first one to say they voted against vets.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:42 PM   #252
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I used to go back and forth with Skip N, Dangles, and occasionally RIJimmy. And then the orange guy won, and the left became completely unhinged and delirious. So yeah, I can find issues with both sides, but one side has just gone completely bonkers.

I was a registered Dem up until the 2020 election, I’m now unenrolled, I would never want to be associated with that awful group of people again….ever.

And before you start with the R’s are no better, notice the word Unenrolled.

To simplify, they both suck

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 07-31-2022 at 12:58 PM..
Old 07-31-2022, 01:23 PM   #253
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I used to go back and forth with Skip N, Dangles, and occasionally RIJimmy. And then the orange guy won, and the left became completely unhinged and delirious. So yeah, I can find issues with both sides, but one side has just gone completely bonkers.

I was a registered Dem up until the 2020 election, I’m now unenrolled, I would never want to be associated with that awful group of people again….ever.

the people running for office on both sides are gross. we need to stop
electing people
based on fame and looks.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #254
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Term limits would solve a lot, but the career politicians aren’t likely to change the rules. Maybe this time around a third party can actually get up and running.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:22 PM   #255
PaulS

Quote:

Similar to me I was registered Republican for many years and have voted for probably more Republicans for president than Democrats. But while I agree both parties have moved I think the Republicans have moved far more than the Democrats and don't think I would ever vote for Republican again for president unfortunately. I too am a unaffiliated. I don't think a republican would now ever start the EPA or OSHA for example like Nixon did.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:26 PM   #256
scottw

Quote:
because they are the most obnoxious
Old 07-31-2022, 04:08 PM   #257
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
because they are the most obnoxious
Now that’s funny!
Old 07-31-2022, 10:37 PM   #258
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
VA Secretary Denis McDonough says Republican Senators’ new proposed changes to the PACT Act would result in rationing care to sick veterans; the VA could only spend so much per year, regardless of need, and would only treat vets for 10 years, again, regardless of need.

The same people helped Trump add 7.8 TRILLION to the debt.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-31-2022, 10:41 PM   #259
Pete F.
Canceled

Republicans are losing their minds that gas prices are coming down, inflation is getting better, the stock market is going up, and Congress is actually working together on meaningful legislation

Not to mention they have no substantial issues to run on in November
Old 08-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #260
Jim in CT

Quote:
Republicans are losing their minds that gas prices are coming down, inflation is getting better,
yup. $4 gas and 9.1% inflation are can’t-lose statistics for democrats.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:30 AM   #261
Jim in CT

Quote:

Not to mention they have no substantial issues to run on in November
here’s their issue…

“when we were in charge, gas was $1.50, inflation was 0%, crime and drug overdoses were far lower. 58% of americans said they were better off in 2020 than they were in 2016. How many americns are better off in 2022 then they were in 2021? Had enough?”

the democrats message in 2020 was orange man bad. the gop message in 2022 can be, “had enough”?

Old 08-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #262
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
yup. $4 gas and 9.1% inflation are can’t-lose statistics for democrats.
The two sacred cows that Republicans will protect at all costs - the drug industry and the oil industry - lose out if the Inflation Reduction Act passes.

That’s why the GOP is furious.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #263
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
here’s their issue…

“when we were in charge, gas was $1.50, inflation was 0%, crime and drug overdoses were far lower. 58% of americans said they were better off in 2020 than they were in 2016. How many americns are better off in 2022 then they were in 2021? Had enough?”

the democrats message in 2020 was orange man bad. the gop message in 2022 can be, “had enough”?

Gas was $1.50 because Covid came and “ …when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”
Then Trump organized an increase in oil prices, crime started increasing on his watch and the Republican administration tried to perform a self coup.

I'm guessing the mother of all migrant caravans will be approaching the border in late October, only to magically disappear a week later, just like all the others.

And if that’s not enough, they do have homophobia, misogyny and racism-those have worked well for them in the past.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #264
Pete F.
Canceled

Moody's Analytics finds the Manchin & Schumer-backed Inflation Reduction Act will "nudge the economy and inflation in the right direction, while meaningfully addressing climate change and reducing the government’s budget deficits."
Old 08-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #265
wdmso

Quote:

I would never want to be associated with that awful group of people again….ever.

why ? because they tried to hold the orangeman accountable ? or some other reason ?
Old 08-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #266
wdmso

Quote:
Gas was $1.50 because Covid came and “ …when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”
Then Trump organized an increase in oil prices, crime started increasing on his watch and the Republican administration tried to perform a self coup.

I'm guessing the mother of all migrant caravans will be approaching the border in late October, only to magically disappear a week later, just like all the others.

And if that’s not enough, they do have homophobia, misogyny and racism-those have worked well for them in the past.
Seem there is a New Abbott crisis

The Texas Department of Agriculture is becoming increasingly worried about escalating attempts by migrants to block Mexican highways,

yep you read it right migrants to block Mexican highways,

But for republicans Putin didn't affect gas prices or global inflation by invading Ukraine

But Migrants Blocking Mexican Highways Could Threaten US Supply Chain
Old 08-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #267
Jim in CT

democrat message for midterms…

hey, things aren’t as bad as they were last month! ( except for the fact we’re in a recession, though we’re working on changing the definition away from ‘period of time when the economy is receding”).
Old 08-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #268
Jim in CT

Quote:
The two sacred cows that Republicans will protect at all costs - the drug industry and the oil industry - lose out if the Inflation Reduction Act passes.

That’s why the GOP is furious.
who’s protecting the drug industry? the democrats control
DC right now, and are mandating vaccines and daily boosters.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:55 PM   #269
Jim in CT

Quote:
Moody's Analytics finds the Manchin & Schumer-backed Inflation Reduction Act will "nudge the economy and inflation in the right direction, while meaningfully addressing climate change and reducing the government’s budget deficits."
how does printing $600 billion for
wind turbines reduce inflation?

pete, if it does what you say, i’ll be the first to
say “we’ll done.”.

but calling a spending bill the inflation reduction act, just naming it that, doesn’t reduce inflation.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #270
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
why ? because they tried to hold the orangeman accountable ? or some other reason ?
Well, they obviously have very low standards for membership

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."