Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #31
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
What we have today is reverse racism and especially reverse sexism.
no such thing.. racism is racism and sexism is sexism. it is raceless and sexless
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #32
Skip N

I found it funny watching some of the rutgers players/coach say how offensive his comments were toward woman. I'm sure most of these girls listen to rap music and watch MTV, Ever see how much these rappers trash and degrade women!? Thats the norm in the Rap/MTV culture. But somehow thats ok, but when Imus says it, he's a racist monster! Its quite funny if you really think about. This selective outrage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 AM   #33
mdrew9

I happen to think Imus is a racist. What he said was ignorant. He feels some sense of entitlement because he lets minority kids come to his "ranch" and do work. I wouldn't mind some free labor either. HOWEVER, Jessie Jackson and Sharpton have a much bigger problem with racism, but for some reason its acceptable. Dave Chappelle is obviously comedy, can anyone seriously Imus has a comedy show? Its a stretch if you do. Even if it was his comments weren't necessary towards Rutgers.
He even went on to Sharptons show and called himself a "cracker" while I find humor in the fact that he doesn't know that "cracker" is an offensive comment towards white people. I'd like to slap him for that.
Should he be fired this? No, suspension is probably warranted. However, he probably should be fired because his show is horrible and no one listens to it.
mdrew9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #34
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Exclamation

if i were one of the players on the rutgers team i wouldn't want to be referred to as a nappy-headed-ho.

it's one thing if you're poking fun but there was no real reason for imus to say that on the air (there was no punch line or humor value in that - it just wasn't really all that funny).

i don't think that imus is a hatemonger but he made a mistake ... only a black guy can call them "nappyheaded ho's" and get away with it ... it is what it is.

while some bad publicity is sometimes a good thing ... when you have sponsors leaving the show that is a bad thing net net.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #35
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Good article about it in NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04112007...lle_malkin.htm
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #36
stripersnipr

Imus has done the right thing by apologizing and there is little more he can do. I do wish he would take a minute to press Sharpton for an apology for some of his blatant acts of racism though. Freddy's Fashion Barn massacre and the Tawana Brawley incident come to mind.

Last edited by stripersnipr; 04-11-2007 at 08:20 AM..
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N View Post
I found it funny watching some of the rutgers players/coach say how offensive his comments were toward woman. I'm sure most of these girls listen to rap music and watch MTV, Ever see how much these rappers trash and degrade women!? Thats the norm in the Rap/MTV culture. But somehow thats ok, but when Imus says it, he's a racist monster! Its quite funny if you really think about. This selective outrage.

Isn't there a difference b/t saying Skip N's post is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and saying some of these posts are stupid and show a lack of intelligence?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #38
Raven

ben

i very much agree......but to add to your post....
Imus likes to think of himself as a BRUTHA - sometimes...
and he's like ever too cool

when he's sh#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and jivin with Snoop dog or who ever...

because of his past experiences with Cocaine which he never lets us forget

it might explain his inclination to try and talk like a Rap artist... does on their albums....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #39
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Isn't there a difference b/t saying Skip N's post is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and saying some of these posts are stupid and show a lack of intelligence?
= Chumming for a brawl.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #40
Skip N

Quote:
Call my post stupid if you want, but you can't argue the fact that in todays black/rap culture, callng woman bitches and hoes is the norm. And treating woman as nothing more than sex objects in thier music videos is also cosidered ok and normal. Where is the huge uproar about all this? Why are they allowed to treat women like %$%$%$%$? And knowone cares!

Got double standard?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #41
PaulS

I have no double standard b/c you won't find me standing up for Imus, Opie & Anthony, Stern, rappers, talk show hosts who think yelling louder than someone else is proving their point, calling someone a bad American b/c they have a different viewpoint, etc.

The point was that Imus specifically called an identifable group of people (the Rutgers woman) nappy headed Hos, while the rappers the players may listen to are not identifing specific people (and I'm not sticking up for the rappers).
Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #42
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
= Chumming for a brawl.
No b/c I wasn't commenting on Skip's post perse. I was comparing the difference b/t making a general statement and being specific.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #43
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Question

he called a bunch of college kids "ho's" in a public forum.

what if one of your daughters was on the team?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #44
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbed View Post
he called a bunch of college kids "ho's" in a public forum.

what if one of your daughters was on the team?
I'd be totally p/o'd and seeking damages. No excuse for Imus' actions or many of Sharptons actions. Both need to be held to the same standards of decency.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #45
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

You bet there's a double standard, Just heard that pac- man Jones is suspended for 1 yr, for his Criminal Behavior. Next I hear that if he does not get ARRESTED between now and the start of training camp he has a chance to shorten his suspention. They want to fire Imus no second chances for making an assinine mistake. And the captain for the Rutghers Basketball team said they are making a stand for women Everywhere . So why don't they stand up against the degrading lyrics by the rap culture towards women ?
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #46
rivsie11

D & C cited this column today. I think the columnist sees things pretty clearly.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #47
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
And the captain for the Rutghers Basketball team said they are making a stand for women Everywhere . So why don't they stand up against the degrading lyrics by the rap culture towards women ?
BINGO!!! Thats exactlly what i'm saying. But it aint gonna happen.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #48
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivsie11 View Post
D & C cited this column today. I think the columnist sees things pretty clearly.

I read that earlier. It is spot on. I love the fact that some in the black community are highly embarrassed by the race hustlers like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. And keep in mind, Whitlock is no "Uncle Tom" as they say... this guy has attacked the white media on subjects like Bonds and Artest on numerous occasions.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #49
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
So why don't they stand up against the degrading lyrics by the rap culture towards women ?
i'm sure there's no shortage of black feminists that decry hip-hop.

but ... hip-hop sells.

and i don't disagree there is a double standard and i think al sharpton and jesse jackson are a$$-clowns ... BUT...

...imus opened the door for the double standard to be exploited.

capiche?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #50
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivsie11 View Post

Fantastic article! Right on the money

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #51
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Ever listen to his show when they run a comedy bit where Imus comes across as a self-absorbed jerk? McCord and Bernie McGuirk write most of those bits. Do you think they're making it up about what a self-absorbed jerk he can be sometimes?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #52
ThomCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Ever listen to his show when they run a comedy bit where Imus comes across as a self-absorbed jerk? McCord and Bernie McGuirk write most of those bits. Do you think they're making it up about what a self-absorbed jerk he can be sometimes?
NO!!!

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #53
mosholu
Mosholu

Good article. I think he might have been too hard on the school and the coach. I wonder if they have agreed to this private meeting
in an attempt to difuse the situation and keep the private agitators at bay.
I think like all of us Imus has good and bad sides to his personality. I believe people in those media positions lose their perspective and sometimes they run riot over there common sense. I do think he is getting off lightly and should have been fined a significant amount of money.
This pacman jones suspension that was mentioned above was comical. You are arrested on five seperate charges in a year and you are not barred forever. The message this sends out to young people is appalling. .
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #54
kevin d

Before we throw Imus under the bus, is there any conclusive evidence that they aren't nappy headed ho's? I mean more evidence than Sharpton and Jackson had before crucifying the Duke Lacrosse team?

Just a thought........
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #55
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
Before we throw Imus under the bus, is there any conclusive evidence that they aren't nappy headed ho's? I mean more evidence than Sharpton and Jackson had before crucifying the Duke Lacrosse team?

Just a thought........

Was that suppose to be funny?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #56
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Basturbed...
Dont throw stones from a glass house. you use EVERY anti-asian term you can, but because of your heritage is it ok? So if Imus called a bunch of older white guys something would it be a problem... this got so f'ing blown out of proportion when it leads on every morning 'news' show, WEEI, Scoreamfm, etc... sick of it!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #57
kevin d

Quote:
Was that suppose to be funny?
Yes. I guess more sarcastic than funny.
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #58
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post

Just a thought........
I think I read somewhere today that the average gpa for the whole team is 3.0. And they have a no-nonsense coach in Vivian Stringer.

Women's teams over every sport don't bring a tenth of the revenue to a school that men's football and basketball does. Unless the women's team in question is Tennessee or UConn. They don't get the academic breaks male athletes in the high revenue sports do. They're actually expected to be in class.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #59
stripersnipr

Charges dropped against Duke LaCrosse Players

Charges dropped against Duke LaCrosse Players. It'll be interesting to see where the Reverends go on this one.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #60
Jay Dog

While all this is going on we must of missed http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html this on CNN .
Romantic comedy "Nappily ever after" I'm sure Sharpton and Jackson will want Halle Berry blacklisted
Jay Dog is offline   Reply With Quote