Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,397
Dear Republicans: We Tried Your Way and It Does Not Work

This will keep Jim busy for a while

The 1970s were a pivotal decade, and not just because it saw the end of the Vietnam War, the resignation of Nixon, and the death of both the psychedelic hippie movement and the very political (and sometimes violent) SDS.
Most consequentially, the 1970s were when the modern-day Republican Party was birthed.
Prior to that, the nation had hummed along for 40 years on a top income tax bracket of 91% and a corporate income tax that topped out around 50%.
Business leaders ran their companies, which were growing faster than at any time in the history of America, and avoided participating in politics.
Democrat Franklin Roosevelt and Republican Dwight Eisenhower renewed America with modern, state-of-the-art public labs, schools, and public hospitals across the nation; nearly free college, trade school, and research support; healthy small and family businesses; unions protecting a third of America’s workers so two-thirds had a living wage and benefits; and an interstate highway system, rail system, and network of new airports that transformed the nation’s commerce.
When we handed America over to Ronald Reagan in 1981 it was a brand, gleaming new country with a prosperous and thriving middle class.
The seeds of today’s American crisis were planted just ten years earlier, in 1971, when Lewis Powell, then a lawyer for the tobacco industry, wrote his infamous “Powell Memo.”
It became a blueprint for the morbidly rich and big corporations to take over the weakened remnants of Nixon’s Republican Party and then America.
They then moved on to infiltrate our universities, seize our media, pack our courts, integrate themselves into a large religious movement to add millions of votes, and turn upside down our tax, labor, and gun laws.
That effort burst onto the American scene with the 1980 election of Ronald Reagan.
By 1982 America was agog at the “new ideas” this newly-invented GOP was putting forward.
They included radical tax cuts, pollution deregulation, destroying unions, and slashing the support services the New Deal and Great Society once offered people (because, Republicans said, feeding, educating, or providing healthcare to people made them dependent).
Their sales pitch was effective, and we’ve now had 42 years of the so-called Reagan Revolution.

It’s time to simply say out loud that it hasn’t worked:
Republicans told us if we just cut the top tax rate on the morbidly rich from the 74% it was at in 1980 down to 27% it would “trickle down” benefits to everybody else as, they said, the “job creators” would be unleashed on our economy.
Instead of a more general prosperity, we’ve now ended up with the greatest wealth and income inequality in the world, as over $50 trillion was transferred over 40 years from the bottom 90% to the top 1%, where it remains to this day.
The middle class has gone from over 60% of us to fewer than half of us. It now takes 2 full-time wage earners to sustain the same lifestyle one could in 1980.
Republicans told us if we just deregulated guns and let anybody buy and carry as many as they wanted wherever they wanted it would clean up our crime problem and put the fear of God into our politicians.
“An armed society is a polite society” was the bumper sticker back during Reagan’s time, the NRA relentlessly promoting the lie that the Founders and Framers put the 2nd Amendment into the Constitution so “patriots” could kill politicians.
Five Republicans on the Supreme Court even got into the act by twisting the law and lying about history to make guns more widely available.
Instead of a “polite” society or politicians who listened better to their constituents, we ended up with school shootings and a daily rate of gun carnage unmatched anywhere else in the developed world.
Republicans told us that if we just ended sex education in our schools and outlawed abortion, we’d return to “the good old days” when, they argued, every child was wanted and every marriage was happy.
Instead of helping young Americans, we’ve ended up with epidemics of sexually transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancies, and — now that abortion is illegal in state after state — a return to deadly back-alley abortions.
Republicans told us that if we just killed off Civics and History classes in our schools, we’d “liberate” our young people to focus instead on science and math.
Instead, we’ve raised two generations of Americans that can’t even name the three branches of government, much less understand the meaning of the Constitution’s reference to the “General Welfare.”
Republicans told us that if we cut state and federal aid to higher education — which in 1980 paid for about 80% of a student’s tuition — so that students would have what they told us was “skin in the game,”
we’d see students take their studies more seriously and produce a new generation of engineers and scientists to prepare us for the 21st century.
Instead of happy students, since we cut that 80% government support down to around 20% (with the 80% now covered by student’s tuition), our nation is groaning under a $2 trillion dollar student debt burden, preventing young people from buying homes, starting businesses, or beginning families. While students are underwater, banksters who donate to Republican politicians are making billions in profits every single week of the year from these bizarrely non-negotiable loans.
Republicans told us that if we just stopped enforcing the anti-monopoly and anti-trust laws that had protected small businesses for nearly 100 years, there would be an explosion of innovation and opportunity as companies got bigger and better.
Instead, we’ve seen every industry in America become so consolidated that competition is dead, price gouging and profiteering reign, and it’s impossible to start or find small family-owned businesses anymore in downtowns, malls, and the suburbs.
It’s all giant chains, many now owed by hedge funds or private equity. Few family or local businesses can compete against such giants.
Republicans told us that if we just changed the laws to let corporations pay their senior executives with stock (in addition to cash) they’d be “more invested” in the fate and future of the company and business would generally become healthier.
Instead, nearly every time a corporation initiates a stock buyback program, millions and often billions of dollars flow directly into the pockets of the main shareholders and executives — while workers, the company, and society suffer the loss.
Republicans told us that if we just let a handful of individual companies and billionaires buy most of our media, a thousand flowers would grow and we’d have the most diverse media landscape in the world.
At first, as the internet was opening in the 90s, they even giddily claimed it was happening.
Now a small group of often-rightwing companies own our major media/internet companies, radio and TV stations, as well as local newspapers across the country. In such a landscape, progressive voices, as you can imagine, are generally absent.
Republicans told us we should hand all our healthcare decisions not to our doctors but to bureaucratic insurance industry middlemen who would decide which of our doctor’s suggestions they’d approve and which they’d reject.
They said this will “lower costs and increase choice.”
In all of the entire developed world — all the OECD countries on 4 continents — there are only 500,000 medical bankruptcies a year. Every single one of them is here in America.
Republicans told us if we just got rid of our unions, then our bosses and the companies that employ them would give us better pay, more benefits, and real job security.
As everybody can see, they lied. And are working as hard as they can to prevent America from returning to the levels of unionization we had before Reagan’s Great Republican Experiment.
Republicans told us if we went with the trade agreement the GHW Bush administration had negotiated — NAFTA — and then signed off on the WTO, that we’d see an explosion of jobs.
There was an explosion; lots of them, in fact, as over 60,000 American factories were torn down or left vacant because their products were moved to China or elsewhere. Over 10 million good-paying jobs went overseas along with those 60,000 factories.
Republicans told us global warming was a hoax: they’re still telling us that, in fact. And therefore, they say, we shouldn’t do anything to interfere with the profits of their friends in the American fossil fuel industry and the Middle East.
The hoax, it turns out, was the lie that there was no global warming — a lie that the industry spent hundreds of millions over decades to pull off.
They succeeded in delaying action on global warming by at least three decades and maybe as many as five. That lie produced trillions in profits and brought us the climate crisis that is today killing millions and threatens all life on Earth.

And then, of course, there’s the biggest GOP lie of them all: “Money is the same thing as Free Speech.”
Five Republicans on the Supreme Court told us that if we threw out around 1000 anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws at both the state and federal level so politicians and political PACs could take unaccountable billions, even from foreign powers, it would “strengthen and diversify” the range of voices heard in America.
It’s diversified it, for sure. We’re now regularly hearing from racists and open Nazis, many of them elected Republican officials, who would have been driven out of decent society before the Reagan Revolution.
American political discourse hasn’t been this filled with conflict and violence since the Civil War, and much of it can be traced straight back to the power and influence of dark money unleashed by five Republicans on the Supreme Court.

The bottom line is that we — as a nation, voluntarily or involuntarily — have now had the full Republican experience.
And now that we know what it is, we’re no longer listening to the Republican politicians who are continuing to try to sell us this bull#^&#^&#^&#^&.
We don’t want to hear Republicans sermonizing about deficits (that they themselves caused).
Or welfare (that they damaged and then exploited).
Or even whatever they’re calling “faith” these days, be it the death penalty, forcing raped women to give birth at the barrel of a gun, or burning books.
We’re over it, Republicans. A new America is being birthed from the ashes of the Reagan Revolution and you can’t stop it much longer.

Thom Hartman

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,313
it's good that someone has decided to speak for all Americans....I'm sure all Americans agree with him.....he must be looking forward to November
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,209
Pete, you’re trying to convince yourself of something even you know isnt true, you reek of desperation.

Americans didn’t like trump, but they liked his policies. The well referenced Galllop poll makes that clear.

Also, which states are people
fleeing, and which states are they moving to?

keep me busy for awhile? took me all of ten seconds to destroy your premise.

Your side is going to walk into a bloodbath on november.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's good that someone has decided to speak for all Americans....I'm sure all Americans agree with him.....he must be looking forward to November
https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/23...erm-elections/

The tyrants are working on that Scott
Call them out as often as possible

I don’t think I am aware of anyone who has worse TDS than Pete
Sad really
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,937
Pete,
Didn't work, huh? I would much prefer the values throughout America during the Reagan years than today's Republican party... But I think most American's retirement accounts would show it did work... up until the present administration took over. Just one viewpoint to consider as we all get closer or further along in utilizing those retirement funds.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #6
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/23...erm-elections/

The tyrants are working on that Scott
Call them out as often as possible

I don’t think I am aware of anyone who has worse TDS than Pete
Sad really
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It is sad that your tin foil hat is constantly so tight.

What is so wrong with:“expand citizens’ opportunities to register to vote and to obtain information about, and participate in, the electoral process” and how is that "rigging" the elections. Anyone who thinks helping people to vote is considered rigging a vote needs to examine if they really embody American values.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #7
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 7,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/23...erm-elections/

The tyrants are working on that Scott
Call them out as often as possible

I don’t think I am aware of anyone who has worse TDS than Pete
Sad really
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yes, Biden Is Hiding His Plan To Rig The 2022 Midterm Elections

Yep with all the information concerning Trumps attempts to over turn the election .. you show up and Drop a link from the federalist. What a joke here are some of their other headlines related to Jan 6th

Jan. 6 Committee Ignores Clear Evidence Of Mass Illegal Voting, Systematically Broken Election Laws

Biden Accuses Trump Of Trying To Steal The Election For Voicing Valid Concerns Over Mail-In Voting

The 2020 Election Wasn’t Stolen, It Was Vandalized By Democrats, Big Tech, And The Media

Here’s What The Jan. 6 Show Trials Are Really After

The committee wants those who stood by Donald Trump to face shame, disbarment, personal and professional harm, and potentially prison.

Yes that’s what happens when you try to overturn an election thru fraud and violence






Keep supporting a seditious scumbag like Trump I get it you are upset his little coup you clearly support didn’t succeed while Thinking you are a Patriot ….

If that’s not TDS … not sure what else to call it ..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,397
In the current survey, DeSantis underperformed former President Donald Trump, the choice of 47% against Harris in a hypothetical 2024 faceoff, 7 points above the Vice President.
But Harris beat DeathSantis
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,397
Fat Ron signed legislation mandating public colleges and universities survey students and faculty about their political beliefs.”

Will DeSantis require Democrats to wear Blue stars, LGBTQ to wear pink triangles?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/23...erm-elections/

The tyrants are working on that Scott
Call them out as often as possible
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Pete, you’re trying to convince yourself of something even you know isnt true, you reek of desperation.

Americans didn’t like trump, but they liked his policies. The well referenced Galllop poll makes that clear.

Also, which states are people
fleeing, and which states are they moving to?

keep me busy for awhile? took me all of ten seconds to destroy your premise.

Your side is going to walk into a bloodbath on november.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
7 congressional generic ballot polls taken pre-Dobbs (May to mid-June) and post-Dobbs (late June): Marist, Politico, Economist, Yahoo!, Emerson, Rasmussen, Harris

Pre-Dobbs average
R 44.6%
D 43.4%

Post-Dobbs average
D 44.7%
R 44.1%

Margin shift: D +1.8
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post






Keep supporting a seditious scumbag like Trump I get it you are upset his little coup you clearly support didn’t succeed while Thinking you are a Patriot ….

If that’s not TDS … not sure what else to call it ..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
So you clowns claim to know what I think, wrong. I don’t support Trump, don’t want him running again not that it matters. I did not support a supposed “coup” as your cabal calls it but your witch hunt is to prevent Trump from running again only because he did the work of exposing the establishment globalists that you lick their asses. Better learn Chinese Pete, good luck keep supporting the Oppressors. Some of you are so deep when they repeat history you will still be in denial. You wouldn’t know a tyrant if it punched you in the face your values are so twisted.

There have been plenty of election fraud cases from that election where people have been sentenced already, I suppose you deny that as well. More to come. The Constitution exists for a reason.
I think Rand Paul would make a great President.
You want communism? Move to a communist country
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #13
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 7,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
So you clowns claim to know what I think, wrong. I don’t support Trump, don’t want him running again not that it matters. I did not support a that you lick their asses. Better learn Chinese Pete, good luck keep supporting the Oppressors. Some of you are so deep when they repeat history you will still be in denial. You wouldn’t know a tyrant if it punched you in the face your values are so twisted.

There have been plenty of election fraud cases from that election where people have been sentenced already, I suppose you deny that as well. More to come. The Constitution exists for a reason.
I think Rand Paul would make a great President.
You want communism? Move to a communist country
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

So let’s see


supposed “coup” as your cabal calls it but your witch hunt is to prevent Trump from running again only because he did the work of exposing the establishment globalists


The Constitution exists for a reason.

Maybe you should tell trump and his supporters that. But you would rather defend his actions by call others the Oppressors.(who actually tried to steal the election wasn’t Dems ). And of course the classic fringe accusation of communism




You post what you post . It’s not hard to figure out what you Think .and Who your sources are
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #14
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It is sad that your tin foil hat is constantly so tight.

What is so wrong with:“expand citizens’ opportunities to register to vote and to obtain information about, and participate in, the electoral process” and how is that "rigging" the elections. Anyone who thinks helping people to vote is considered rigging a vote needs to examine if they really embody American values.
anyone who thinks it’s racist to require an id to vote, is trying to get away with something.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #15
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
anyone who thinks it’s racist to require an id to vote, is trying to get away with something.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Any political party which draws maps that targeted African American citizens "with almost surgical precision" is racist.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:04 AM   #16
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Any political party which draws maps that targeted African American citizens "with almost surgical precision" is racist.
agreed. i await your response.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna26138
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #17
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
agreed. i await your response.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna26138
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Hmm, can't seem to find where the article said that maps targeted African American citizens "with almost surgical precision"?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #18
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Hmm, can't seem to find where the article said that maps targeted African American citizens "with almost surgical precision"?
oh ok. so it’s ok to gerrymander to isolate white republicans, but not to isolate liberal blacks!

of course!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #19
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
oh ok. so it’s ok to gerrymander to isolate white republicans, but not to isolate liberal blacks!

of course!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It is if it is with "surgical precision"
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,397
"A day in the Life of Sue in CT.

Sue gets up at 6 a.m. and fills her coffeepot with water to prepare her morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards.
With her first swallow of coffee, she takes her daily medication. Her medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised.
All but $10 of her medications are paid for by her employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Sue gets it too.
She prepares her morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Sue's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.
In the shower, Sue reaches for her shampoo. Her bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for her right to know what she was putting on her body and how much it contained.
Sue dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air she breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air.
She walks to the subway station for her government-subsidized ride to work. It saves her considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation.
Sue begins her work day. She has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Sue's employer pays these standards.
If Sue is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, she'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think she should lose her home because of her temporary misfortune.
Sue is home from work. She plans to visit her father this evening at his farm home in the country. She gets in her car for the drive. Her car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards.
She is happy to see her father, who is now retired. Her father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Sue wouldn't have to.
Sue gets back in her car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Sue enjoys throughout her day.
Sue agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm self-made and believe everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
When Sue goes to vote this fall to remove those "socialist antifa wokesters" from office, she'll only be allowed to vote at all because woke liberals fought a long battle to gain her the right to vote.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #21
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 7,984
Republicans trying to use Covid relief funds to lower Taxes

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) secured a pause on the state’s fuel taxes — a $200 million plan he helped pay for with a pot of federal funds awarded earlier in the pandemic.
The policy was intended to save money for local drivers and state coffers alike. But it also appeared to mark a potential violation of federal law

Yep Ron using Covid funds for his next campaign ad

The federal government would not subsidize state tax cuts. Lawmakers led by Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) said at the time that Washington should not be on the hook to pay for reductions in state tax revenues, since that could leave major budget holes once federal aid ran dry.

Guess joes the enemy now
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #22
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
"A day in the Life of Sue in CT.

Sue gets up at 6 a.m. and fills her coffeepot with water to prepare her morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards.
With her first swallow of coffee, she takes her daily medication. Her medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised.
All but $10 of her medications are paid for by her employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Sue gets it too.
She prepares her morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Sue's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.
In the shower, Sue reaches for her shampoo. Her bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for her right to know what she was putting on her body and how much it contained.
Sue dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air she breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air.
She walks to the subway station for her government-subsidized ride to work. It saves her considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation.
Sue begins her work day. She has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Sue's employer pays these standards.
If Sue is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, she'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think she should lose her home because of her temporary misfortune.
Sue is home from work. She plans to visit her father this evening at his farm home in the country. She gets in her car for the drive. Her car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards.
She is happy to see her father, who is now retired. Her father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Sue wouldn't have to.
Sue gets back in her car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Sue enjoys throughout her day.
Sue agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm self-made and believe everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
When Sue goes to vote this fall to remove those "socialist antifa wokesters" from office, she'll only be allowed to vote at all because woke liberals fought a long battle to gain her the right to vote.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wow, everything good, is due to woke liberals.

tell sue in CT to look at the taxes deducted from her paycheck, compared to what would be deducted if she lived elsewhere. watch sue move to FL, because CT no longer has any value proposition.

and tell Sue the reason she can enjoy these things, is because she wasn’t aborted.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-05-2022 at 01:36 PM..
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
wow, everything good, is due to woke liberals.

tell sue in CT to look at the taxes deducted from her paycheck, compared to what would be deducted if she lived elsewhere. watch sue move to FL, because CT no longer has any value proposition.

and tell Sue the reason she can enjoy these things, is because she wasn’t aborted.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Actually Sue looked at Floriduh, but home prices and taxes are up 30%, Homelessness in Florida becoming middle-class problem.
And just wait till you get your homeowners insurance increase.

Sue’s mother had an abortion at 15, Sue was one of two children her mother had when she got married after college, that’s why she grew up in a stable middle income family.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #24
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Actually Sue looked at Floriduh, but home prices and taxes are up 30%, Homelessness in Florida becoming middle-class problem.
And just wait till you get your homeowners insurance increase.

Sue’s mother had an abortion at 15, Sue was one of two children her mother had when she got married after college, that’s why she grew up in a stable middle income family.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
home prices are up everywhere. and there’s no state income tax, so higher taxes in FL are still a whole lot lower then CT. sorry to insert facts into your rant.

you’re making a lot of silly assumptions about sue.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com