Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
"uffah!!"

Dan Biechele

What do you think about the sentance he received for the Station Niteclub Fire? 4 Years to serve w/ 3 years probation!!
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
spence

It's probably about right. Any jail time is pretty harsh, but apparantly he knew enough to have used better judgement...and the consequences were so horrific.

I could do without the impact statements played over and over on the news though

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I think he should have a few more friends joining him........a lot of blame to go around on that one.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
stripersnipr

Including the fire official who inspected the place a month or so before.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I must concur with Stripersniper on the fact that the state and locals have a share of the blame......that will come to pass when the civil lawsuits begin and all those are named in it! I believe that not he or the Dederians wished harm on any of those folks who perished....and I suppose some jail time must be served. I think 4 years is due justice as he will have to carry the weight of this on his shoulders for the rest of his days....that will be tough!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
Skip N

I agree with you guys. The sentence seems about right to me. Unlike the owners, and everyone else involved in the tragedy, this guy came forward and admitted he was partially to blame for what happened. he even went as far to write a personal letter to each of the familys that lost loved ones that night. His genuine remorse prob saved him a few years behind bars.

Should'nt someone in the club have forbid the guy from shooting off piro if there was that much danger? I meen they certainly saw all that stuff set up and never warned him right?

The two owners on the other hand, refuse to admit any wrong doing. I think they will get even harsher punishments when thier time comes. They are more to blame in my opinion, along with others.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i agree sentence was fair. the dedarians on the other hand will surley serve more time imo.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
gone fishin

Sentance was fine !
I think the target of investigation should now be the personel who were intially responsable for the licensing of the club. I have to wonder if the State and City inspectional force was on the ball.
I know I have to go through a real tough process to get building permits for commercial construction. It all starts with the fire department. Where the heck was the inspectional services when the occupancy permits were issued and what happened when the building was supposedly inspected during business as usual? I seem to remember that the club actually removed a door and stood it aside before inspection by the fire department because it operated in the wrong direction. They replaced it after he was gone. It seems as though the inspector was not LOOKING for problems and probably never did a test on materials in the building.
It does seem as though there is plenty of blame to go around.
I have to agree with Larry - wait til the civil suits are waged in the courts. I bet there will be a record number of out of court settlements.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Sentence

I agree with you guys, too. The public officials though should be inside the front door of whatever jail Bichle is going to greeting him in prison garb. Its rare when someone stands and accepts blame as he did without trying to diminish his part.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Saltheart

I actually think he should have gotten less time in jail. Maybe none.

Nobody went out and said , lets torch this place. It all came about because of stupid actions on his part for lighting it , the owners for putting up the foam and the fire inspectors not ordering it removed.

Its all stupidity , not malice in any way. I say stupidity demands that they lose all their money to the families of the victimsbut doesn't dictate jail time.

Its a total screw up all around. If anything , the blame should go mostly on the proferssionals , (fire inspectors) who allowed the flamable foam to stay on the walls. They are paid to be experts in this area. stupidity by paid experts is less tolerable than stupidity by band managers.

I would probably think differently if my family had been burned in the fire.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence

I could do without the impact statements played over and over on the news though

-spence
Spence, did you read the Projo this morning? Nothing like reading a quote from one of the vicims family members bragging about how she harrased the mother of Biechele in the court room. I know these familys are full of emotion, but come on, they are treating this guy like he went into the club looking to murder the 100 people. i'm really getting sick of all this. It was an accident, yes a very tragic one, but still an accident. Biechele did not intend to harm these people. Yet the familys and media treat him worse than Osama.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Start with the firemarshall and work their way down...

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart
I actually think he should have gotten less time in jail. Maybe none.

Nobody went out and said , lets torch this place. It all came about because of stupid actions on his part for lighting it , the owners for putting up the foam and the fire inspectors not ordering it removed.

Its all stupidity , not malice in any way. I say stupidity demands that they lose all their money to the families of the victimsbut doesn't dictate jail time.

Its a total screw up all around. If anything , the blame should go mostly on the proferssionals , (fire inspectors) who allowed the flamable foam to stay on the walls. They are paid to be experts in this area. stupidity by paid experts is less tolerable than stupidity by band managers.

I would probably think differently if my family had been burned in the fire.
I agree with Saltheart...that guy has to live with it everyday....at least he stood up......
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I agree with Skip....this guy and also the owners did not wake up that day thinking..."Hey....think I will kill 100 people today"! It was nothing but a horrific tragedy and these poor folks have to live with what happened....I can't think of what that will be like for them.....I don't think I could live with that....could you?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Try this one on......

You are driving down the street......not speeding just maybe distracted by your cell phone or the radio......you run a stop sign and kill 2 people in another car! Should you go to jail???? Think about that for a minute before you answer!!!

Happens all the time like that and folks who are at fault in these types of innocent acts of negligence do not go to jail.....they may get some community service....but they must live with it.

Think about it!