Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Why would anyone ship something USPS

Bought something for my boat off ebay on feb22, I tried to get seller to do different way of shipping (UPS, fedex) but he shipped he said it was shipped prior to reading the message I sent him..
Over 2 weeks later no shipment. Tracking info said expected delivery was feb 24-march 8th
Fedex & UPS for aprox the same $20 shipping cost would have been 2 days tops from the distance it came from.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

He sent it that way because its cheap.... First class with delivery confirmation is like tracking,,,

If he spent the extra $2 to send it priority it would have been there in a couple days,,,,

I have had pretty good luck with USPS... when shipping priority...
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Raven

no worries according to the news
the post office will be broke by fall.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
no worries according to the news
the post office will be broke by fall.
Thought they were broke already running a $Billion in the red annually!

Time to stop penny raising us to death and just make postage stamps $1!

With e-mail, cell phones, and electronic banking what do you need to mail USPS anyway? Hallmark get well cards? Oh yes, your MA fishing license and boat registration since they charge you $3 internet fees.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Probably uses USPS for convenience......could be easy for him to hit the post office

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
PaulS

I just got a letter from NY. It was picked up at the person's house and delivered to my house in 1 day for $.44. Not a bad deal.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

USPS even has a deal with FEDEX (I think) wherein FEDEX hauls to package most of the way to you local post office distribution center and then the USPS does the final delivery. I tracked a package once where FEDEX moved it across the country in about 24hrs and it took 3-4 days to move it the last 40 miles by USPS!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Raven

bring them back

tame and use the wild Ponies again

it's the Green solution

it would be as popular as the Ice cream truck
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
USPS even has a deal with FEDEX (I think) wherein FEDEX hauls to package most of the way to you local post office distribution center and then the USPS does the final delivery. I tracked a package once where FEDEX moved it across the country in about 24hrs and it took 3-4 days to move it the last 40 miles by USPS!
UPS also... and we... er, the usps picks up packages for ups, then they come pick them up at the PO... If he sent it priority, somethings wrong... if he sent it "standard", well, I just waited 9 or 10 days for an expected 4-7 day delivery myself...
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Called my post office 1st thing yesterday, the package was attempted delivery no one home, package then sat at post office for 8 days.
No notice ever left at my house, just brought back to the post office and sat there for 8 days.
How the hell is someone to know the attempted delivery and they don't leave a notice ?

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
Plum Crazy

I am still wondering what happened to something that was mailed to me two days before Christmas. Never got here and was never returned. Someone is very happy.

"It's not about the fish, it's about fishing for the fish. The fish is gravy."
Plum Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Lesson learned.
In future ebay purchases when I win an item, before I pay I'm contacting seller to make sure it's not shipped usps. if they insist on using usps I won't pay and tell them to keep their item.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I would check the shipping before you bid on the item. If you don't like the way they are shipping then don't bid on the item.

Don't wait until you've already won the item to start #^&#^&#^&#^&ering about how you want it shipped.

there's an option to ask the seller a question at any time during the auction....that's when you want to find out...not after

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Called my post office 1st thing yesterday, the package was attempted delivery no one home, package then sat at post office for 8 days.
No notice ever left at my house, just brought back to the post office and sat there for 8 days.
How the hell is someone to know the attempted delivery and they don't leave a notice ?
I just hate when anything is sent requiring signature, I don't have time to sit home all day and wait for the delivery to arrive. I like when both UPS/FEDEX moved away from positive presence and now just put things at the house (tell them where you expect packages to be dropped). My USPS is usually pretty good about leaving the notices and makes it easy to sign the card and he redelivers the package without me being there in person.

I found it really helps if expecting something to be delivered requiring signature, leave a note for the delivery person. Sometimes on-line tracking works (sometimes not) so you have an idea where the item is in the system and tentative arrival day.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I just got a letter from NY. It was picked up at the person's house and delivered to my house in 1 day for $.44. Not a bad deal.
Great deal, only it cost the Post Office .60 to send it. Only the Feds. could take the losses and keep going.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Wasn't the Hope Diamond shipped by Registered Mail?
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Wasn't the Hope Diamond shipped by Registered Mail?
do you know how much it costs to send registered and insured? It's a fortune......I just tried to ship something registered and insured. Would be cheaper to fly it there myself and back

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote