Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Dog Question

Our dog Banjo has pooped a few times in the last few months in his crate and has been eating it! We discover this in the morning when we wake up. I did notice he got into a stuffed animal but it wasn't in his poop. I took him out this morning for his poop and it was fine. Any clue as why he would poop and eat it inside his crate? Oh and he seems fine health wise with no visible signs of sickness and has plenty of energy. I changed his food a few weeks ago but he did this prior to that as well.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

lol. dogs do it. Not a good habit. My lab did it only on occasion thank goodness. She also ate road apples, horsecrap, next door at neighbors too and I had to put up a fence around my compost pile too. Rolled in anything dead and ate all kinds of dead stuff. there is a product called Distaste you might want to try it out.
Digestive Aids: Drs. Foster and Smith Dis-Taste Stops Stool Eating

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
goosefish

I have two dogs--one of them eats poop fairly often. She is 10. The other one never does. Not a pretty habit. Especially on the breath.

goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Is it the eating or the fact the the dog did it in his crate?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Slingah

why??? cuz he's hungry!
a whole new meaning to morning breath....

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
You don't sleepwalk/eat....do you Marsh????

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Is it the eating or the fact the the dog did it in his crate?

Both actually. I take him out between 5-6pm to poo before he eats. I think before I go to bed I'll send him out again but typically if I do this he just pees. He's usually like clock work, i take him out in the morning before 8am and he does his business then he eats his food. He's in the crate during the day for around 4 hours. I have my cousin staying with us and she takes him out during the day for exercise and pee but he usually won't poo for the girls of the house. He does this only on occasion(poo in the crate) but cuz my wife gets up before me she is the one who makes the discovery and cleanup. This will wear thin on her over time if he keeps it up. I'll check on the product Paul reffered to and possibly use it. the one thing I notice about this dog is that he is very sensitive to anything he digests. I have to be really careful about treats, etc. Like all young dogs he likes to chew things including any bedding I have put in his crate. I have spent serious money on all types of bedding but it the end he eats it all. I feed him the recommended allowance for a dog his size and he gets plenty of exercise. he's a good boy overall but our house is small and accidents like that don't go over well with the mrs. At least it is somewhat contained in his crate but it's still a mess. Oh well, chalk it up to the joys of dog ownership I guess.

As for the rest of you jokers....Thanks... i guess!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
Both actually. I take him out between 5-6pm to poo before he eats. I think before I go to bed I'll send him out again but typically if I do this he just pees. He's usually like clock work, i take him out in the morning before 8am and he does his business then he eats his food. He's in the crate during the day for around 4 hours. I have my cousin staying with us and she takes him out during the day for exercise and pee but he usually won't poo for the girls of the house. He does this only on occasion(poo in the crate) but cuz my wife gets up before me she is the one who makes the discovery and cleanup. This will wear thin on her over time if he keeps it up. I'll check on the product Paul reffered to and possibly use it. the one thing I notice about this dog is that he is very sensitive to anything he digests. I have to be really careful about treats, etc. Like all young dogs he likes to chew things including any bedding I have put in his crate. I have spent serious money on all types of bedding but it the end he eats it all. I feed him the recommended allowance for a dog his size and he gets plenty of exercise. he's a good boy overall but our house is small and accidents like that don't go over well with the mrs. At least it is somewhat contained in his crate but it's still a mess. Oh well, chalk it up to the joys of dog ownership I guess.

As for the rest of you jokers....Thanks... i guess!
Sheperds, are notorious for sensitive stomaches. I've cleaned way to much stuff.

Milkbones, Flex2500, Purina Sensitive Stomach Dry, little Purina classic. Thats it.

Anything else its bad news.
Our Corgi can eat anything. acorns, suet, m,ice, anything. Sheperd gets excited, tries to mimic her, we pay

Don't deviate from the plan , most treats , rawhide etc. not safe for any dog.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Sheperds, are notorious for sensitive stomaches. I've cleaned way to much stuff.

Milkbones, Flex2500, Purina Sensitive Stomach Dry, little Purina classic. Thats it.

Anything else its bad news.
Our Corgi can eat anything. acorns, suet, m,ice, anything. Sheperd gets excited, tries to mimic her, we pay

Don't deviate from the plan , most treats , rawhide etc. not safe for any dog.
I feed him 2 cups twice a day of Nutro for large breed dogs. It was believed when we got him that he had a corn allergy so I go with the organic blend of lamb and rice mix with other natural ingrediants. I do give him on occasion a Milk bone raw hide bone and he loves it. Occasionally he gets some treats which are the natural organic variety. He'll scarf down anything he can if you give it to him but everyone in the house is good about not giving him anything outside the norm. I'm guilty on occasion of giving him some food scraps like pizza crust or piece of pepperoni if I'm making a sandwich. It's not large amounts and not often. Just a little here and there. That's one thing I've learned over the last 5 months is that you have to really to stick to your schedule.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
niko

it's called copafasia (sp). sometimes a sign of a dietary deficiancy sometimes just a nasty habbit

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Raven

Dogs will re-eat dog food thats gone thru their system to derive any left over undigested nutrition from it they can.

Contrary to most peoples thought processes all the usable nutritional
protein ect isn't completely digested as its only like 60% efficient.

This is a survival tactic... but i've seen my dogs eat very dry coyote poop that was many months old as we sat on a rock.

Dogs need a bone to chew

so we buy the pre baked rib bones which leave no oder or stains at the pet food store (pricey but worth it)
and this acts as a pacifier !
but generally a dog will bury that same bone under the blanket rather than chew on it in the cage.

They slowly get that marrow out of the center which is like BEEF jerky to us.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Raven

After thought:

if your not giving your DOG some kind of KELP meal
they will be deficient in the trace minerals not found in dog food.

i've seen it rehabilitate old dogs and put a spring in there step.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

He came in to work with me this morning and assumed his position in my office guest chair. I have given him the BIG beef bone in the past and he loves it. There is one in his crate right now that is probably a month old. I'll get him some more. If he does this again in the next week or two I will have the vet check him out for any nutrient deficiencies. There's always something!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Banjo 001.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	42844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Banjo 002.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	42845  

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Adult Dog Food | Large Breed Lamb Meal & Rice | NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE Dog Food

This is what i am feeding him. Actually after reading the daily allowance thing I noticed I can give him 5 cups a day. I'll start feeding him an extra cup a day and see if that helps. And I noticed there is Kelp in the ingrediants too.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
Raven

Arrow

to bad kelp doesnt grow on the east coast...

maybe it will some day

but the thing to remember is that it virtually has no root system

it latches onto a rock for ballist and then just absorbs all the minerals right out of the sea water thru its leaves

its a super food for man and beast and i buy kelp meal for fertilizing my plants too and the difference is truly amazing.

dogs need a little more food during the winter because they burn it up quicker to stay warm .
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
Raven

another thing i do is to sneak a skinny clove of raw garlic into a filleted piece of meat and this kills off any parasites and or worms very effectively.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
luds
Night Stalker

Do you leave anything in the crate for him to chew? Definitely keep in mind that chewing helps trigger defication and younger dogs are definitely less prone to hold it in. My boxer ate his backyard bombs a few times when he was young better never has since. I think there was something you could feed your dog that made them less likely to eat their poop. Can't remember what it was.

Like any bad habit for a young dog I'm sure there is a good chance that he will grow out of it.

P.S. I feel you on as far as your wife making the discovery. I've been read the riot act a couple of times.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
luds
Night Stalker

Just asked my wife. We put a tablespoon of crushed pinapple in his food. He eats twice a day. Apparently dogs hate the taste or smell of it in their poopage. Boxers also are notorious for sensitive stomaches so I would imagine this woud be fine but you might want to do a little research.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
bassballer

My dog would eat his food when he puked it up. But never his poop.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #20
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefish View Post
I have two dogs--one of them eats poop fairly often. She is 10. The other one never does. Not a pretty habit. Especially on the breath.
Oh that's it. No more dog kisses from her!!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
Saltheart

I think it gets bettr as they get older. i was also told by a vet that its because there is undigested food in the poop and they smell it and eat it. I think changing the food and how much was the cure as well as just the dog getting older.

I am surptised to hear the poop time is before he eats. I would think he'll take a bigger , hopefully more thoroughly emptying poop if he is let out after eating to poop. That may just eliminate the need for the extra poop before morning.

You obviously have to scold him for pooping in his cage. Eventually as they mature , they want to do what makes you happy so continued reenforcement that pooping in the cage is bad may train him to hold it.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
whiplash
Sand pounder

There is kelp on the east coast

After a good NE storm you can find kelp along eastern beaches. just doesn't grow into the jungles like the west coast

In wine there is wisdom.
In beer there is freedom.
In water there is Bacteria!
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
another thing i do is to sneak a skinny clove of raw garlic into a filleted piece of meat and this kills off any parasites and or worms very effectively.
MC, you could sneak the garlic into the peperoni once in a while.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
Plum Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
Just asked my wife. We put a tablespoon of crushed pinapple in his food. He eats twice a day. Apparently dogs hate the taste or smell of it in their poopage. Boxers also are notorious for sensitive stomaches so I would imagine this woud be fine but you might want to do a little research.
THIS WORKS! The enzymes in the pineapple help with the digestion.

"It's not about the fish, it's about fishing for the fish. The fish is gravy."
Plum Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #25
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post

Actually after reading the daily allowance thing I noticed I can give him 5 cups a day. I'll start feeding him an extra cup a day and see if that helps.

I don't think that dog needs any more food, I would say feed him less and see how he does.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Dog food is 99 % protein, hence poo is all protein as well. Dirty habit, but it is extremely common. My last dog did it all the time. This one doesn't touch it. I know I pick them all up. If she is doing poo in her cage its because she needs to go. And the cage is generally the last place a dog will go poo, because as we all know only humans chit where they sleep, animals generally don't. Let her out earlier. If she is holding it that longs she may strain herself, and I'm sure you don't want that to happen. Same with the holding of urine. She'll get a bladder infection if she is forced to hold it.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote