Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

US Ambassador killed in Libya

U.S. ambassador to Libya Killed - CNN.com

Quote:
The United States ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens, was killed in a rocket attack on the U.S. Consulate in the city of Benghazi on Tuesday, President Obama said Wednesday.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I'd like to recommend a campaign stop for Barak and Joe since they don't have an hour to meet with the Netanyahu

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Jim in CT

These Muslim extremists are true barbarians. Someone they don't know posts something on youtube they don't like, and the response is to massacre the next Americans they see. Forget the fact that these Americans had nothing to do with the video.

JohnR, sometimes, in my weak moments, I think we should launch a few missles and turn that desert into glass.

Off topic, but I also thought it was interesting to hear Obama say "
the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others..."

Really? Then why do liberals say that Catholics are waging war on women, simply because the church doesn't want to be forced to provide that which it teaches is immoral? Isn't that denigrating the religious beliefs of others?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Everything is now OK: "Libya's Prime Minister Abdurrahim el-Keib apologized "to the American people and the government, and also to the rest of the world" for the "cowardly criminal act."

BTW there were 3 others killed:

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton identified a second victim as Sean Smith, a Foreign Service information management officer who was a ten-year veteran of the State Department, a husband and a father of two.
The two other victims have not been named.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Nebe

Bastards
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
These Muslim extremists are true barbarians. Someone they don't know posts something on youtube they don't like, and the response is to massacre the next Americans they see. Forget the fact that these Americans had nothing to do with the video.

JohnR, sometimes, in my weak moments, I think we should launch a few missles and turn that desert into glass.
Absolutely agree. I fear the world is heading down a scary path where the Arab Street gains Democracy. These people make Trailer Trash look like MIT postgrads

Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure... Yes, in weak moments it is the easy path. But we are supposed to be better than that and reality kicks in. Now, should nuke's fall into the sure and steady hands of the Arab Street...

Quote:
Off topic, but I also thought it was interesting to hear Obama say "
the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others..."

Really? Then why do liberals say that Catholics are waging war on women, simply because the church doesn't want to be forced to provide that which it teaches is immoral? Isn't that denigrating the religious beliefs of others?
Jim - I agree with you probably more than I disagree but can we not have all of these threads devolve to X -v- Liberals

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Piscator

If they didn't have oil, they would have nothing

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Absolutely agree. I fear the world is heading down a scary path where the Arab Street gains Democracy. These people make Trailer Trash look like MIT postgrads

Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure... Yes, in weak moments it is the easy path. But we are supposed to be better than that and reality kicks in. Now, should nuke's fall into the sure and steady hands of the Arab Street...

Jim - I agree with you probably more than I disagree but can we not have all of these threads devolve to X -v- Liberals
John, I am trying to tone it down. I thought I was stating facts without a lot of commentary.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
JohnR

Quote:
John, I am trying to tone it down. I thought I was stating facts without a lot of commentary.
Maybe I'm slow to notice the change

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Maybe I'm slow to notice the change
My hope is that you notice soon...

I'm surprised that in certain parts of the world (THAT part of the world), state department officials don't have secret service-quality protection. That's what they deserve...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Nebe

Maybe the 2 others were secret service style body guards?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Maybe the 2 others were secret service style body guards?
3 others and I'm thinking marines maybe
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Scuttlebutt
Guess what...

I'm so glad we "extended our hand" to these barbarians. Too bad they didn't "unclench their fists".
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
I think we should turn that desert into glass.

Off topic, but ............................................
*Something a handful of scientists haven't quite wrapped their collective heads around
is the discovery of sand fused into glass
by a nuclear explosion from our distant past....

Apparently this isn't our first rodeo....
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
FishermanTim

Wouldn't it just take the cake if this were a clandestine case of "Wag the Dog", in an attempt to bolster low/bad poll numbers?

You can't tell me that it couldn't be possible, since similar claims were made against Bush (war for oil?).

When the "experts" make claims that the attacks were too coincidental to just be random attacks, and they weren't all-out, "balls to the walls" attacks using conventtional weapons, it makes you wonder what was the purpose of the attacks?

Just food for thought....
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
*Something a handful of scientists haven't quite wrapped their collective heads around
is the discovery of sand fused into glass
by a nuclear explosion from our distant past....

Apparently this isn't our first rodeo....
Or of course, it could just be from an impact event, not some theory of ancient aliens.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

One of the dead was a former Navy SEAL, raised in Winchester, with family now in Woburn. RIP warrior, and prayers for the family.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
striperman36
Old Guy

All these people know is war, they've fought among the tribes for centuries.
It's no different now, just at a global level.

Not sure what precipitated the Bengazi incident, other an isolated tribalism.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
I'd like to recommend a campaign stop for Barak and Joe since they don't have an hour to meet with the Netanyahu
Seriously - you'd want to send our President into an area where Americans who were bravely serving our country were just killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Wouldn't it just take the cake if this were a clandestine case of "Wag the Dog", in an attempt to bolster low/bad poll numbers?
I agree - the Christian Right had to know that this would inflame tensions in the Muslim world and w/Romney's low poll numbers maybe they thought some dead Americans would help Romney's poll numbers - sad to have that type of thinking.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I agree - the Christian Right had to know that this would inflame tensions in the Muslim world and w/Romney's low poll numbers maybe they thought some dead Americans would help Romney's poll numbers - sad to have that type of thinking.
What did the Christian Right have to do with this to get dragged in to the conversation?

BTW - Got the Cuttyhunk Flask open

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Seriously - you'd want to send our President into an area where Americans who were bravely serving our country were just killed?
Not really, would put not only him but also a lot of brave patriots who are protecting him in danger...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
What did the Christian Right have to do with this to get dragged in to the conversation?

I'm going to generalize in all my posts today.

From what I heard the nutjob who produced the video was a Coptic Christian (which means some of their churches will prob. be burned down in Egypt soon) who was associated w/that whack job Terry Jones (I believe that was his name). He is the one who had a day to burn the Koran about a year about?

BTW - Got the Cuttyhunk Flask open
Fill it w/whiskey for the Boy Scout trips
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
sokinwet

This is a section of an article posted by a facebook friend. Kind of interesting in light of the recent Libya tragedy....shows that everything isn't as black and white as it sometimes appears. Tyler Stark was a navigator in an F15 shot down over Libya; he was also a survivor of Colombine. Please no arguments...I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. ;-)

" The soldiers from the Libyan rebel militia who found Tyler Stark weren’t entirely sure what to make of him, as he didn’t speak Arabic and they didn’t speak anything else. At any rate, he didn’t seem inclined to talk. The Libyans were now of course aware that someone was dropping bombs on Qad#^&da#^&fi’s troops, but they were a little unclear about who exactly was doing it. After taking a good long look at this pilot who had fallen from the sky they decided he must be French. And so when Bubaker Habib, who owned an English-language school in Tripoli, and was then hunkered down with fellow dissidents in a hotel in Ben#^&gha#^&zi, received the phone call from a friend of his in the rebel army, the friend asked him if he spoke French. “He tells me there is a French pilot,” says Bubaker. “He’s crashed. Because I spent 2003 in France, I still have some French words. So I said yes.”

The friend asked if Bubaker would mind driving the 30 kilometers or so out of Ben#^&gha#^&zi to talk to the “French pilot,” so they could figure out the best way to help him. Even though it was the middle of the night, and you could hear bombs exploding and guns firing, Bubaker jumped in his car. “I found Stark sitting there, holding his knee,” says Bubaker. “He was, to be honest with you, frantic. He doesn’t know what is going on. He was surrounded by the militia. He doesn’t know if they are friends or enemies.”

“Bonjour,” said Bubaker, or maybe not—he has forgotten the first thing out of his mouth. But in response Tyler Stark said something and Bubaker instantly recognized the accent. “Are you American?” asked Bubaker. Stark said he was. Bubaker leaned over and told him that he actually had friends in the U.S. Embassy who had fled in the early days of the war, and that if Stark would come with him back to Ben#^&gha#^&zi he could put them in touch. “He looked at me, astonished,” remembers Bubaker.

On the drive to Benghazi, Bubaker sensed that Stark was both shocked and wary. At any rate, as much as Bubaker might have wanted to know more about why America was dropping bombs on Libya, Stark would not tell him. And so Bubaker put on some 80s music and changed the subject to something other than war. The first song that came on was Diana Ross and Lionel Richie singing “Endless Love.” “You know what,” said Bubaker. “This song reminds me of my second marriage.” They talked the rest of the way, says Bubaker, “and we didn’t mention anything of any military action.” He drove the “American pilot” back to the hotel and instructed the militia to surround the place. Even in Libya they understood the fickle nature of American public opinion. “I told them, ‘We have an American pilot here. If he gets caught or killed it’s the end of the mission. Make sure he is safe and sound.’” Bubaker then called his friend, the former staffer in the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, now removed to Washington, D.C.

It took a few hours for someone to come and fetch Stark. As he waited with Bubaker inside the hotel, word spread of this French pilot who had saved their lives. When they’d arrived at the hotel a man had handed Tyler Stark a rose, which the American found both strange and touching. Now women from across the city came with flowers to the front of the hotel. When Stark entered a room full of people they stood up and gave him a round of applause. “I’m not sure what I was expecting in Libya,” he says, “but I was not expecting a round of applause.”
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Fill it w/whiskey for the Boy Scout trips
Paul, first of all, a movie that diaparages a religion is not justifiable reason to commit acts of terrorism.

Second, latest reports suggest that the Libyan attack was a planned operation, and had absolutely nothing to do with the youtube video.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Paul, first of all, a movie that diaparages a religion is not justifiable reason to commit acts of terrorism.

Second, latest reports suggest that the Libyan attack was a planned operation, and had absolutely nothing to do with the youtube video.
And it also appears it was likely not an organic thing from the general population of Libya

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:

Wow how is the Kool Aid

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

So this is how Obama protects American lives, he only attends %50 of daily
intelligent meetings. Instead he reads the briefs, with the last meeting he attended
leading upto 9/11 was 9/5.
Oh that's right, I forgot how intelligent he is. Guess he forgot that truly intelligent
people realize how much they don't know and depend on others to interact with,
to question and learn more from.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Not KFC

Embassies stormed, KFC torched as anger over anti-Islam film rages

U.S. and other Western interests were targeted by angry crowds across much of the Muslim world on Friday, as rage spread over an anti-Islamic video produced in California.

The only reason various parts of the world tolerate the US is the many the BILLIONS & BILLIONS of $$$$$ the US "donates" every year to those countries. Let's start withholding those $$ for use at home or truly friendly allies.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Wow how is the Kool Aid
Did you even read the post I quoted?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
And it also appears it was likely not an organic thing from the general population of Libya
What's your point?

I concede that not every single citizen of Libya wants to kill Americans. Not every single Muslim wants to kill Americans. But there are, what, 2 billion Muslims in the world, so if 1% are sympathetic to the cause of jihadists, that's 20 million jihadists. The fact that there are peaceful Muslims out there, doesn't make me feel better. In fact, it makes me feel worse, because if every single Muslim was a jihadist, then the problem would be very easy to solve...reduce the nuclear aresnal by a few warheads...