Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #31
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
well, every day repeatedly.....define "much"
Everyday by the way means EVERYday, sorry if you aren't grasping that concept, but feel free to go research my posts for the past month, it's a very small amount compared to the action on this forum. Leave it to you to point out the irrelevant, carry on.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #32
PaulS

56 min. a little slow.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #33
Sea Dangles

Math major
Impressive
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I knew this was coming, you just couldn’t help yourself.

It is absolutely ridiculous for our president to even ask that question in a way that first makes him look like an idiot trying to be a medical expert (like every past briefing) and to give the scared or weak minded thoughts about a way to kill the virus which would actually kill them.

No need to continue, like I said before half of this forum will defend him even if he killed someone on fifth avenue and the other see him for what he is; a game show host and clown bumbling through a job he is so ill equipped to do. I don’t post much anymore, realizing a long time back there can never be any civil debate here, but when Trump gets as stupid as this I just had to comment.
I knew this was coming, you just couldn't help yourself.

BTW, Trump did not suggest anyone injecting themselves. Nor did he look like or try to look like a medical expert. Sometimes we see what we want to see. If you see what might be there or what you think is there rather than what is there, then you might be one of those weak minds you speak of. I could see how Trumps words could scare you.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

No, sorry, Trump is in fact an idiot. He was referring to the “disinfectants” mentioned by a DHS official about two minutes earlier. That official described “testing” (outside the human body) of “disinfectants readily available”—namely, “bleach” and “isopropyl alcohol.”

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
—Stephen Hawking

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #36
Sea Dangles

🙀
Old 04-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Math major
Impressive
2 degrees

HS doesn't count.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
half of this forum will defend him even if he killed someone on fifth avenue and the other see him for what he is;.
Oh my yes, you guys really see him for what he is - that's hilarious. The ones who claim Russia stole the election, who claim he didn't help the economy, who attack him for putting kids in the same exact cages that Obama put kids in, the ones who say he didn't do enough in January but won't say a syllable about Pelosi and DiBlasio telling people to go out in public in late February, the ones who say the accusation was enough to disqualilfy Kavanaugh but won't say the same thing about Biden. You guys really see things accurately!

The only one here who never criticizes Trump is Dangles, and he's doing it to yank your chains, and it amazes me how willingly you comply.

Got Stripers, you liberals here are just as wrong about who Trump is, exactly as wrong, as Sean Hannity is - just the mirror image. Hannity ignores the ban and focuses on the good, you all ignore the good and focus on the bad. Don't you see that?

Trump sure isn't the Messiah Hannity claims him to be. Nor is he the cartoon villain you claim him to be.

If Biden wins in November, I will move my IRA to a more conservative position than I would if Trump won, I'll toss and turn for two nights, then I'll be fine. You guys...how are you going to cope if Trump gets re-elected?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #39
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
No, sorry, Trump is in fact an idiot. He was referring to the “disinfectants” mentioned by a DHS official about two minutes earlier. That official described “testing” (outside the human body) of “disinfectants readily available”—namely, “bleach” and “isopropyl alcohol
If I’m not mistaken, This is what they were talking about in regards to disinfectants.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312702/

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

Here's the transcript and the last paragraph is Trump*s contribution to the portfolio of misinformation, quackery and jaw-dropping ignorance he has shared with the American people during the coronavirus pandemic.

Bill Bryan: (24:22)
We work closely with the CDC, FDA, HHS, and also our Department of Defense colleagues and many others. Yesterday, I shared the emerging results of our work that we’re doing now with the coronavirus task force and today I would like to share a certain trends that we believe are important. If I may have the first slide please. And while that’s coming up, our most striking observation to date is the powerful effect that solar light appears to have on killing the virus, both surfaces and in the air. We’ve seen a similar effect with both temperature and humidity as well, where increasing the temperature and humidity or both is generally less favorable to the virus. So, let me illustrate with this first slide. If you look to the right, you’ll see that term half-life with a bunch of timestamps on there. First, let me tell you what a half-life is. We don’t measure the virus as far as how long will it live on a surface. We have to measure the decay of the virus in terms of its half-life because we don’t know certain-

Bill Bryan: (25:27)
… That has a bearing on how long the virus is going to be alive and active. So, we measure it in half-life because half-life doesn’t change. So, if you look at an 18 hour half-life, what you’re basically saying is that every 18 hours the life of the virus is cut in half. So, if you start with 1000 particles of the virus, in 18 hours you’re down to 500, and 18 hours after that you’re down to 250 and so on and so forth. That’s important as I explain the rest of the chart. If you look at the first three lines, when you see the word surface, we’re talking about non porous surfaces. Door handles, stainless steel, and if you look at as the temperature increases as the humidity increases with no sun involved, you can see how drastically the half-life goes down on that virus.

Bill Bryan: (26:09)
So, the virus is dying at a much more rapid pace just from exposure to higher temperatures and just from exposure to humidity. If you look at the fourth line, you inject the sunlight into that, you inject UV rays into that, the same effects on line two as 70 to 75 degrees with 80% humidity on the surface and look at line four but now you inject the sun, the half-life goes from six hours to two minutes. That’s how much of an impact UV rays has on the virus. The last two lines are aerosols, what does it do in the air? We have a very unique capability, I was discussing this with the president prior to coming out, he wanted me to convey it to you on how we do this. I believe we’re the only lab in the country that has this capability, but if you can imagine a five gallon Home Depot bucket, we’re able to take a particle, and this was design developed and designed by our folks at the NBAC. We’re able to take a particle of a virus and suspend it in the air inside of this drum and hit it with various temperatures, various humidity levels, multiple different kinds of environmental conditions to include sunlight. And we’re able to measure the decay of that virus while it’s suspended in the air. This is how we do our aerosol testing.

Bill Bryan: (27:22)
We worked with John Hopkins’ applied physics lab and we actually developed a larger drum to actually do more testing and it’s four times the size of that. So, this is the capability that we bring to this effort. So, in summary, within the conditions we’ve tested today, the virus in droplets of saliva survives best in indoors and dry conditions. The virus does not survive as well in droplets of saliva, and that’s important because a lot of testing being done is not necessarily being done, number one, with the COVID-19 virus and number two, in saliva or respiratory fluids. And thirdly, the virus dies the quickest in the presence of direct sunlight under these conditions. And when you look at that chart, look at the aerosol as you breathe it, you put it in a room, 70 to 75 degrees, 20% humidity, low humidity. Half-life is about an hour, but you get outside and it cuts down to a minute and a half. Very significant difference when it gets hit with UV rays. Mr. president, while there are many unknown links in the COVID-19 transmission chain, we believe these trends can support practical decision making to lower the risks associated with the virus. If I could have my next slide and while that comes up, you’ll see a number of some practical applications.

Bill Bryan: (28:34)
For example, increasing the temperature and humidity of potentially contaminated indoor spaces appears to reduce the stability of the virus, and extra care may be warranted for dry environments that do not have exposure to solar light. We’re also testing disinfectants readily available. We’ve tested bleach, we’ve tested isopropyl alcohol on the virus specifically in saliva or in respiratory fluids and I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes. Isopropyl alcohol will kill the virus in 30 seconds and that’s with no manipulation, no rubbing. Just bring it on and leaving it go. You rub it and it goes away even faster. We’re also looking at other disinfectants, specifically looking at the COVID-19 virus in saliva. This is not the end of our work. As we continue to characterize this virus and integrate our findings into practical applications to mitigate exposure and transmission. I would like to thank the president, thank the vice president for their ongoing support and leadership to the department and for their work in addressing this pandemic. I would also like to thank the scientists not only in S and T and the NBAC, but to the larger scientific and R and D community. Thank you very much.

Donald Trump: (29:46)
A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting, right? And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful. Steve, please.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #41
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
2 degrees

HS doesn't count.
I am sure your Dad is proud of your accomplishment. Good for you PaulS. Really. That’s awesome!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #42
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Here's the transcript and the last paragraph is Trump*s contribution to the portfolio of misinformation, quackery and jaw-dropping ignorance he has shared with the American people during the coronavirus pandemic.

Donald Trump: (29:46)
A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting, right? And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful. Steve, please.
So it will be spun in about a week or is that he didn't recommend it but said to test different theories bc he said

"I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting, right?" and "so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me".
Old 04-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #43
Pete F.
Canceled

I think he should be imbleached

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #44
detbuch

Quote:
So it will be spun in about a week or is that he didn't recommend it but said to test different theories bc he said

"I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting, right?" and "so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me".
Yes, that is what he actually said. Spin not necessary.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

EVANSTON, WY—Throwing bottles of bleach, ammonia, and Drano into a cart at his local grocery store, area man Troy Mitchell was reportedly stocking up on one of every cleaning product he could find Wednesday in case President Donald Trump announces it is a coronavirus cure. “I got toilet bowl cleaner, carpet cleaner, Swiffer WetJet refills—you name it—just so me and my family will be ready if the president announces one of these things can treat Chinese virus,” said Mitchell, indiscriminately throwing containers of laundry detergent, Scrubbing Bubbles, grout whitener, steel wool, Febreze, Tilex mold and mildew remover, and laptop screen wipes into the cart, the contents of which rang up to $2,513.67 at checkout. “I’m not getting caught without some oven degreaser should Trump say it’s going to save us, so I better go ahead and grab me a bottle. After this, I’m hitting the hardware store to pick up a 5-gallon bucket of roof sealant to make sure I’m prepared in the event that turns out to be what gets rid of the Wuhan. Could just be 10 or 20 squirts of Windex into each nostril. You never know what might work in a pinch!” At press time, neighbors confirmed Mitchell had been found unresponsive on the floor of his bathroom with several empty aerosol cans of Rust-Oleum wax-and-tar-removing solvent by his head.

The Onion on 3/25/20

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #46
Sea Dangles

He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

President Trump on his comments about possibly injecting disinfectant and light into a person's body as a Covid-19 cure: “I was asking a sarcastically to reporters just like you to see what would happen.”

So the best defense the President has is not that he's a moron, but that he was trolling the Americans during a pandemic that has killed tens of thousands.

Remember when George Bush sarcastically suggested all New Yorkers blow on the Twin Towers to put the fires out?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:

Here's what he said, right?

"And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with"

He is wondering if there's a way. Not '"go out and inhale Lysol because I said so", but asking if there's a way for docs to do it safely if it could help.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:

Where did he recommend it? Where? You conveniently left out where he asked "is there a way". What do you think he meant by that?

God almighty man, take of the TDF tinfoil hat.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #50
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I was going to put this on the main forum, under the thread looking for good jokes, but this gem I saw on facebook belongs here.

A British doctor says "In Britain, medicine is so advance that we cut off a man's liver, put it in another man and in 6 weeks, he is looking for a job.

A German doctor says "That's nothing, in Germany we took part of a brain, put it in another man and in 4 weeks he is looking for a job.

The Russian doctor says "Gentlemen, we took half a heart from a man, put in in another mans chest and in 2 weeks he is looking for a job.

The American doctor laughs and says "You are all behind us. A few years ago, we took a man with no brains, no heart and no liver and made him President. Now the whole country is looking for a job".
Old 04-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #51
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Where can I get one of those?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Where can I get one of those?
That was pretty quick. Meant to say TDS obviously!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #53
PaulS

Quote:
Here's what he said, right?

"And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with"

He is wondering if there's a way. Not '"go out and inhale Lysol because I said so", but asking if there's a way for docs to do it safely if it could help.
Spin away. TDS

He normally is so eloquent.

You did exactly what was claimed the Trump defenders would do regardless of what he actually meant.

Why is he now saying he was being sarcastic. If he didn't think it was a good idea or a potential cure he wouldn't have needed to walk it back.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #54
PaulS

Quote:
Where did he recommend it? Where? You conveniently left out where he asked "is there a way"It was in the original transcript which I quoted. What do you think he meant by that? Don't know other than I think he is an idiot. He probably thought there is a potential chance we can all inject some version of Lysol into us. "What do you have to lose?"

You're the one with the TDS trying to spin his original stupid statement.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:
Spin away. TDS

He normally is so eloquent.

You did exactly what was claimed the Trump defenders would do regardless of what he actually meant.

Why is he now saying he was being sarcastic. If he didn't think it was a good idea or a potential cure he wouldn't have needed to walk it back.
"He normally is so eloquent."

I certainly never said anything that stupid.

"You did exactly what was claimed the Trump defenders would do "

And you did exactly what I'd expect an irrational Trump hater to do.

"regardless of what he actually meant."

Paul, kindly tell us what you think he was trying to convey, when he used the words "is there a way". Do you understand the difference between saying "there is a way", and saying "is there a way"? One is a declaration, one is a question. A question aimed at a doctor.

Christ you've lost it, welcome to Petesville.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're the one with the TDS trying to spin his original stupid statement.
Not "spin". I'm pointing out what he actually, literally, said. How can that be spin?

"Is there a way..."

He's asking a question, not stating a conclusion. What do you think he meant by using the phrase "is there a way". He also stated that these chemicals "do a number on the lungs", so he stated it's not currently safe.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #57
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Not "spin". I'm pointing out what he actually, literally, said. How can that be spin?

"Is there a way..."

He's asking a question, not stating a conclusion. What do you think he meant by using the phrase "is there a way". He also stated that these chemicals "do a number on the lungs", so he stated it's not currently safe.
Some (stupid) people are out there just to give the President his “gotcha.” No surprise to see who (stupid personified)is pushing it the hardest. At least he is educated.🤡

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
Some (stupid) people are out there just to give the President his “gotcha.” No surprise to see who (stupid personified)is pushing it the hardest. At least he is educated.��
its incredible.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #59
PaulS

Quote:

Paul, kindly tell us what you think he was trying to convey, when he used the words "is there a way". Do you understand the difference between saying "there is a way", and saying "is there a way"? One is a declaration, one is a question. A question aimed at a doctor.

Christ you've lost it, welcome to Petesville.
You are the one who has lost it trying to defend what he said. You're trying to parse words. It is another example of how stupid he is. No, one would with an ounce of common sense would have said it the way he did and no one would have ever made that statement with a national (world wide?) audience. At the least, they would have pulled a Dr. aside bf the presser to ask them any question. But bc he doesn't read the notes, ask questions or be prepared, you end up with these stupid things said.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #60
PaulS

Quote:
Some (stupid) people are out there just to give the President his “gotcha.” No surprise to see who (stupid personified)is pushing it the hardest. At least he is educated.��
And some (stupid) people are trying to defend the President no matter what he does. Anyone with a HS degree (well most people bc we really do have some stupid people here who demonstrate their stupidity and pettiness) would recognize what he was asking.