Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
fishing bum wannabe

Home made duplicator owners

Over the last couple of years years I have seen pictures of a few home made duplicators. After my post there were several people that made their own. Some posted pictures, some didn't. Some of those pictures have been lost. I have had any number of people ask questions about building a duplicator, and I know that there are better built duplicators than I built, and I would like to document them. Mine was cobbled together from material I had lying around the shop, based on a vague memory of a magazine article I had read 20+ years earlier. But it still works well. Some others, such as Capesams incorporated routers to improve the process (the posted pictures of Capesams duplicator were lost). Others, such as Professor Moriarties, are works of art, machined out of billets of aluminum. I have seen plugs built from many of them and all of the duplicators seem to work.

What I would like to do is get pictures of existing duplicators, the users experiences, suggested improvements etc. These would be edited into an article that would be posted on the web, maybe hosted on S-B.com if JohnR has the space. I can get my son to build a site that could be useful to people trying to build their first duplicator, upgrade their current one or are just curious what others have done.

Please get in touch with me if you are intersted in participating. Also, even if you are not interested in participating in the article, but have built a duplicator, I would like to hear from you and find out how many people built their own duplicators.

Thank you.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

my hard drive blew awhile back and took a hundred or so pic's with it,,,,new pic's r on disc's now,,,,I'll take a new pic of the router and the hand one and either send it to you or post them on this thread....funny thing..Karl just left my house with the one I made for him not 2 min's ago.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I would love to post a few photos. My camera sux though but I will do my best. I am just now starting to turn some plugs and so far so good. I am sure I will modify it as I go and get better. I am working on modifying the tool bit now. I am never satisfied. I will PM you to find out the details. Paul
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
PNG

Hey Professa you are gonna regret posting pics of that NASA grade dupi
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

That would be great Fred,thanks for all the info. I'm in the process of gathering materials to build one. Thinking about using Formica for the base so it would have an easy slide surface.
Any comments on formica? Thanks

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

My 2 cent's is no....the reason being is that your dupy base CAN be to slippery causing your blade to dig into the wood to fast and BANG...I'm finding alittle drag is a good thing.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I know PNG. I only have two hands and they are pretty full. I would agree a little drag is good. At plugfest a few said I should wax up the base to make it slippery and I said you do not want it too slippery. You have to remember that you are relying on the steadyness, hopefully a word, of your hands to apply pressure to the wood, too slippery and you will be ripping that thing out of the machine. The tool holder is not rigid to the base it slides. The feel is different than holding the traditional tool in your hands. The holder is further from the work piece than traditional tools, which you have more control over. Could get ugly and hurt. Paul
Old 02-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Karl F

Talking

If I get this set up soon, I'll post pic.

Thanks Steve, I just wish I had this a couple of months ago.
But I'm sure, I will have plenty of use for this.

Nice Trading with ya, as always, warning though, that book is a time eater, I keep going looking back, and rereading, and looking at them pics over and over........
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
fishing bum wannabe

I agree with Capesam that you do not want it too slippery. However, you want it smooth. Think in terms of a reel drag. Whatever the resistance you want it to be consistant. This is after all a guided hand tool. On mine I have waxed bare wood sliding over formica. It is smooth but has some reistance to help me guide the tool. However, it is floating, and if it grabs, the blank is usually gouged or split and gone before I can react. The resistance my hands apply can only keep the tool from flying through the air, causing further damage to anything else, including me. Paul's tool holder, being made out of a large chunck of aluminum, is heavier than most, and the mass might help when things go wrong. They go wrong on the commercially made duplicators as well, just not as often. That face sheild discussed in another post is a good idea.

fishing bum wannabe
Old 02-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That is why you must hold the tool firmly and take your time. Slow and steady.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
Rich / In2Bass

Here's a very first pic of what I came up with based on FWB's dup (scrap found in the garage). I had problems with the homemade bit I was using and FBW sent me one of his and its still as sharp as day one Thanks again FWB. I actually like the smooth surface. I used formica shevling for the base and another piece for the bottom the carriage. It slides around like silk and as long as you take your time and keep control you'll be ok.

FBW, I'll take some up to date pic's as the carriage has handle on both sides as yours for control. I'll also send you some pic's of the templates.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dup.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	4897  

" Live for the hit "
Rich / In2Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

Thanks everybody for the input Haven't bought the fomica yet. Will see what else is avaiable with a little more resistance.
Thanks again,
Dave

" Choose Life "
Old 02-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

You can use low pressure laminate also, that is basically the white melamine type stuff used for closet shelves, you can get it 3/4" thick.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally posted by fishing bum wannabe
Paul's tool holder, being made out of a large chunck of aluminum, is heavier than most, and the mass might help when things go wrong.
FBW as an after thought do you think a few cores of lead poured down the tool would help make it a little more steady?

" Choose Life "
Old 02-20-2005, 11:08 PM   #15
fishing bum wannabe

I think that adding lead couldn't hurt. The extra mass should make it more stable. I have thought about adding lead to my duplicator to make it more stable. As far as using laminate for both surfaces, I don't see that being an issue. Just keep them dry and don't wax them. I would't want them as slippery as ice, but I don't want the friction to be so great that it interferes with the control needed to make a smooth cut.

fishing bum wannabe
Old 02-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #16
NIB

I gotta make me one of those.What kinda cutter should i use an where can i find one.Can I grind one out of a piece of tool steel like a file.my friend usta make his own.outa some kinda 1/4"x1/4" stock.he only did 200 plugs a day wit his.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Just go into the MSC cataloge, they have an online store called mscdirect. Look on page 433 in the browse the big book section. You can order a high speed tool bit at what size you want. The kind used for lathes. Should be around 5 bucks. It will be square or round, and then grind it on a grinding wheel. Have some water handy to dip it in because it will get hot. Make the tool with the proper relief's and you are in buisness. Very simple to do. I use a carbid tool bit also but you need a diamond wheel to grind. If you need any help grinding just ask. Paul
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #18
fishaholic18
Finally

I used this one suggested by PNG.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=DUP

Works great, I also helped Canalman build one with the same cutter and he loves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dup.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	4892  

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote