Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

About F-ing time

Last U.S. combat convoy has left Iraq - CNN.com

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Whopp dee doo there's still 50,000 more of our guys there. This is about as symbolic as finding a un-used pink whistle on the beach.

I would bet there will be at least another 1000 killed before they get the eff out of there.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Raven

Thumbs down just watch

the Iraqi's will be dancin for JOY

singing "down with America"
flag burning !!!!
and a big party

then the Taliban will start right on up again
loppin off heads.........
they'll be saying we abandoned them
and left them at their Mercy
which is none....
Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Iran invades in less than 2 years

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Right Bugger. we should just hang a banner saying Mission Accomplished as well.. This is still an important step.

RIJ... read something about Yemen being the next ugly situation... lets hope not...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

deep hatred between IRan and Iraq.
Iran has or will have nukes
Iran has army, Iraq "security forces"
Once US troops are gone - it will be like Hitler over France and we'll have no power since the there will be a nuke threat.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Don't kid yourselves! Just our Govt's way of making it appear as though we are pulling out!!! Please....what a charade!!! There are 50,000 more troops there......and there will be casualties! Our "Peace Keeping" force or....."Farce" will be there for years!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
deep hatred between IRan and Iraq.
Iran has or will have nukes
Iran has army, Iraq "security forces"
Once US troops are gone - it will be like Hitler over France and we'll have no power since the there will be a nuke threat.
Iran will never invade Iraq.....because A. We will still have forces there and B. Because we have liberated them....besides......Iran would be dust if they tried to use a nuke on Iraq or anyone else.....they wouldn't dare!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

BF - the people of the middle east have been fighting the same war for centuries. Iran and Iraq are mortal enemies. Its no coincidence that Iran became so noisy once we took Sadaam out. As far as them "not daring"
Well.....

As Iran, with Russia's help, gets ready to flip the switch on its first nuclear reactor, Washington is engaged in a frenzied debate over whether Israel should consider launching an air attack designed to cripple Tehran's nuclear capabilities.

But key military officials and analysts say Iran has already passed the point where a strike would deal its entire nuclear program a fatal blow. The country might be persuaded to abandon any efforts to build a bomb, they say, but -- like it or not -- Iran is going nuclear. And no number of Israeli F-16s is going to change that.

"We can't stop it. We can slow it down," Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., a member of the House Armed Services and Intelligence committees, told FoxNews.com.

The mechanics of shutting down Iran's nuclear program are mindboggling. The Bushehr facility -- a power plant along the Persian Gulf that uses non-weapons-grade fissile material -- will be Iran's first functioning nuclear reactor; its Russian-provided fuel is expected to be loaded up starting this weekend.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Right Bugger. we should just hang a banner saying Mission Accomplished as well.. This is still an important step.

RIJ... read something about Yemen being the next ugly situation... lets hope not...
Thank Bush for the surge that Obama and the rest of the like voted against. I'm glad they are coming home
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

A friend of my wife's is shipping out for Iraq next week.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Thank Bush for the surge that Obama and the rest of the like voted against. I'm glad they are coming home
You mean the surge that further took the military focus off of the real war against terrorists and onto Bush's war thus causing the Taliban to get a stronger foothold in Afghanistan and resulting in a more deadly situation for them?

Yeah, I'll be sure to thank him.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
You mean the surge that further took the military focus off of the real war against terrorists and onto Bush's war thus causing the Taliban to get a stronger foothold in Afghanistan and resulting in a more deadly situation for them?

Hey JD...remember those camps you wanted to build for Muslims? Can we build them for short people instead..I find them annoying as hell
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

I don't think your statement is accurate.

The Surge was successful for a simple reason, a good percentage of the people we were surging against didn't fight back. That result, combined with the continued pressure from our fighting men and women delivered real results.

As with any sales pitch there's strategy, luck and timing. I think the Surge might have had all three. Without the continued pressure though (or threat of) the other factors might not have played out, but we don't really know. Our military has performed admirably and should be given credit for the success, but like any campaign, the leadership shouldn't read too much into it lest they make mistakes by misreading responses to future actions.

I'm not sure this influenced Afghan policy that much, as there wasn't a clear strategy at the time. A short influx of troops wouldn't have had a measurable impact other then a small amount of pressure on the system.

The Taliban issue has been set for some time, and has deeper roots.

-spence
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
striperman36
Old Guy

We are still going to be there for years. Iraq has not formed their own governmant post-election, they'll appeal for assistance. Maybe we should bill them for the service now.