Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Ma residents read this

LOTS of people going to get screwed on this one...

State to individual buyers: Get a health plan now, or wait a year

By Chelsea Conaboy THE BOSTON GLOBE

The six-week window in which people can buy private insurance through the individual market or switch policies opens today. The Massachusetts Health Connector, which operates an online marketplace for qualifying plans, has planned an ad campaign to let people know that time is limited.

In past years, people could buy insurance on the individual market at any point. But insurers complained that some were signing up when they needed expensive treatment then dropping coverage. Kay Lazar of the Globe reported last spring that coverage of the plan jumpers cost Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts millions in 2008 and 2009.

The Legislature passed a bill in August that limited the enrollment period to just six weeks each year. To help people adjust to the change, the state allowed for an extra window this year, which opened in January and February. But after Aug. 15, most individual enrollees won’t have another chance to buy or change coverage until July 2012.

“We feel it’s important that people know that the window of opportunity is short, and they should take advantage of it,” Connector spokesman #^&#^&#^&#^& Powers said.

There are exceptions to the rule that allow people to buy outside the designated period. Individuals become eligible, for example, if they run out of their COBRA benefits or if they had health insurance but moved out of the plan’s service area.

For everyone else, the Connector will run 30-second radio spots and ads on media websites throughout the state starting tomorrow encouraging them to buy or to shop around if they aren’t happy with their current plan.

As of June 2010, there were about 123,000 people in the private individual market, not including those who qualify for state subsidized plans, according to a report from the state Division of Health Care Finance and Policy. People can change policies or buy into that market or change through the Connector website or directly through insurance carriers. The Connector provides side-by-side comparison of the plans, though some insurers offer a bigger range of plans than what the Connector chooses to sell.

“This open enrollment period will be the best and only chance this year for many Massachusetts residents to get a comprehensive plan that meets their needs and their budgets,” Connector Executive Director Glen Shor said in a press release. “Even those who are currently enrolled should take the opportunity to comparison shop.”
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
1.8% is lots?

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Backbeach Jake

So the insurers don't like getting boned like they're boneing us? Thanks Mitt.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I applied for and was rejected for ma health yesterday. Going to be calling Tuesday and appealing. According to their site I'm eligible but because I'm currently paying for insurance I can afford to have it. It's getting cancelled this month. Just can't afford it any more.

$12k a year is alot of doctors visits out of pocket. I'll pay the state penalty. F this man. I already got $3500 out of pocket this year on top of that. They paid SQUAT.

I got the ffin bone. Roof and food is more important than this bull#^&#^&#^&#^&.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Backbeach Jake

My Health insurance nut is 11k a year plus I pay a 4k deductible. Health care is out of faxing control. Every fn time they make coverage mandatory it shoots through the roof and you get less.
You think we'd learn with auto coverage. These insurers Liberty, Progressive, Geico are boning the customers and the shops. And now it's " your money or your life" with health insurance.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Fred what really gets me is how much in bed these guys are with the State. It's disgusting. All the healthcare laws in this state have been MAJOR bones to every single insurer now.

Think about it. They said 300,000 new people have signed up for health insurance when it became mandatory. So all these guys got a HUGE surge in business...how else do you pay for tv and radio ads all day long....That stuff isn't free. Then again neither is the 1/2 million dollar salary of every bigwig in these health plans. Mitt was one of them?

300,000 x $500 lets say for an average payment....why didn't your and my insurance go down...more people on the plan allows wider pool.

Btw I re-read the letter they sent me, have to call them on Tuesday but it looks like we DID get approved for Commonwealth Care. The kids however did not and I'm not sure why. They have a $5500 deductible. yikes. The rate is a bit better than normal, but looks like wife has to sign up separate herself. She don't want to switch doctors. wtf. Don't have a choice now he's not on any of these plans.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Backbeach Jake

When insurers are climbing all over each other to get into Massachusetts, you just have to know that they aren't "competeing".Plundering is more like it. When you look at your insurance tab and realize it's more than your mortgage, food, and tax bills , you just have to think the deck is stacked. We're being forced to gamble in a rigged game.

Thomas Paine