Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
JohnnyD

This person was chosen to possibly be vice president???

Now, Biden certainly has his share of gaffs, but he's not a stupid man. Sarah Palin is either mentally screwed up or thinking outside the box genius. She really should take some of that book money of hers and hire someone to assist Palin in pulling her head out of her ass.

Damn that Obama for not calling the Dutch back...

Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
spence

This is what happens when the desire to make Obama look bad supercedes the desire to add constructive comments.

Rudy had the same problem on Morning Joe today...
Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
fishbones

So Obama did the right thing by refusing help from other countries? I'm not saying that Palin isn't completely nuts, but she has a point about the refusing of help. I don't know how the Dutch can help with a dike, but maybe they could stuff a bunch of sticky bud in the pipe and seal it up.

I'd really like to hear Alvin Greene's take on fixing the oil leak problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
So Obama did the right thing by refusing help from other countries? I'm not saying that Palin isn't completely nuts, but she has a point about the refusing of help. I don't know how the Dutch can help with a dike, but maybe they could stuff a bunch of sticky bud in the pipe and seal it up.

I'd really like to hear Alvin Greene's take on fixing the oil leak problem.
I don't think any government has the means to handle this leak. What additional support is another country going to provide? What other country has ever had to resolve a disaster even remotely like this?

It sucks to accept it, but oil companies are the only ones armed with the technology, skill and know-how to deal with this. Many keep yelling "The government needs to do more. They aren't doing enough," but what exactly are they suppose to do? All our government can do is mobilize forces to try and reduce the environmental fallout and then force BP to pay for clean up.

There are also people hoping BP goes bankrupt. These same people forget that if that happens, who's left to try and fix this mess?? It is in our (American's) best interest for BP to continue being profitable. If they go under, guess who is stuck with the bill...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
spence

Quote:
So Obama did the right thing by refusing help from other countries?
Before you answer that you'd have to determine if the accusation is fact or politically motivated spin.

-spence
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Before you answer that you'd have to determine if the accusation is fact or politically motivated spin.

-spence
Even you know the answer to that.

Johnny, I agree about other governments *probably* not being able to do much, but if I were the POTUS, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. A lot of help was offered for cleanup and containment and was refused. This, more than any time in recent history is when all reasonable offers of help should be welcomed and accepted. As a country, the US has come to the aid of other nations time and again. Are we too proud to accept a helping hand when we need it?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
scottw

for every lame shot at Palin that you Obamunists take to make you feel what? smarter...wiser...more informed???, your messiah and his merry band of radicals put this country another tillion in debt and undermine the foundations of the country that they're sworn to uphold and protect...who has their head up their ass????

Palin is irrelevant...

the creep that you've elected is very relevant and dangerous...

Last edited by scottw; 06-17-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
. Are we too proud to accept a helping hand when we need it?
no, there was just much more to be gained by a prolonged crisis...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
for every lame shot at Palin that you Obamunists take to make you feel what? smarter...wiser...more informed???, your messiah and his merry band of radicals put this country another tillion in debt and undermine the foundations of the country that they're sworn to uphold and protect...who has their head up their ass????

Palin is irrelevant...

the creep that you've elected is very relevant and dangerous...
From sensibility to stupidity in an hour and a half. I think that's a new record.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
PaulS

Quote:
Palin is irrelevant...
Then why do the repub. keep giving her $000,000 to hear her?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Then why do the repub. keep giving her $000,000 to hear her?

I don't think it's any indication of the Republicans thinking she's relevant. $000,000 doesn't go very far these days.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
I don't think it's any indication of the Republicans thinking she's relevant. $000,000 doesn't go very far these days.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I think Al Gore still gets paid to speak...couldn't be more discredited that that former left wing ICON

they lie to you EVERY DAY...you must like it

Drilling Bits of Fiction
Seven experts say the White House distorted their views

The Obama Administration is under political pressure to reverse its ill-considered deep water drilling moratorium, and the latest blowback comes from seven angry experts from the National Academy of Engineering who say their views were distorted to justify the ban.

In the wake of the oil spill, President Obama asked Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to produce a report on new drilling safety recommendations. Then on May 27 Mr. Obama announced a six-month deep water drilling ban, justifying it on the basis of Mr. Salazar's report, a top recommendation of which was the moratorium. To lend an air of technical authority, the report noted: "The recommendations contained in this report have been peer-reviewed by seven experts identified by the National Academy of Engineering."

Senior Editorial Writer Joe Rago explains the latest bizarre news from the White House.
.That would be false, sir. In a scathing statement this week, the seven experts explained that the report draft they had reviewed did not include a six-month drilling moratorium. That was added only after they signed off. "The Secretary should be free to recommend whatever he thinks is correct, but he should not be free to use our names to justify his political decisions," wrote the seven in a letter to Gulf Coast politicians.

The seven noted that they broadly agreed with the report and had even signed off on a proposal to suspend new deep water permits for six months. They also agreed to a "temporary pause" in drilling to perform additional testing on the Gulf's 33 deep water wells that have already received permits to drill.

.But as for a "blanket moratorium," the seven said it "is not the answer. It will not measurably reduce risk further and it will have a lasting impact on the nation's economy which may be greater than that of the oil spill." If anything, the ban could prove "counterproductive to long term safety."

One of the seven, University of California at Berkeley engineering professor Bob Bea, further explained in an email cited in the New Orleans Times-Picayune: "Moratorium was not a part" of the "report we consulted-advised-reviewed. Word from [the Department of Interior] was it was a [White House] request." In other words, the drilling ban is a West Wing political invention designed to make the boss look tough on oil companies. Our guess is that the credit goes to energy czar Carol Browner, who has been loudly touting the ban to show the Administration is doing something.

Mr. Obama has said he's open to rescinding the ban earlier if new safety recommendations could be implemented sooner. But he has punted that question to the commission he appointed to investigate the spill, which isn't even fully staffed and has six months to report its findings. That will arrive too late for thousands of Gulf residents who are at risk of losing their jobs within weeks as deep water rigs prepare to leave the Gulf. As a tacit admission of the damage it is causing, the White House is now saying it expects BP to cover the wages of workers affected by its own politicized moratorium.

Americans don't blame Mr. Obama for the oil spill, but they are beginning to doubt the competence of a President whose decisions suggest political panic more than careful policy. In their letter, the seven experts encouraged Mr. Salazar to "overcome emotion with logic" and rethink the ban. That's good political advice too
Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Scotts right - you spend more time on Palin who leads nothing than on the guy running this country. Just. A reminder - 2 wars, guantanamo, recession, unemployment, natl debt, largest oil disaster ever. How's it going?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Scotts right - you spend more time on Palin who leads nothing than on the guy running this country. Just. A reminder - 2 wars, guantanamo, recession, unemployment, natl debt, largest oil disaster ever. How's it going?
Ah right. Because there are other issues in the country, we aren't allowed to pay attention to anything else. Palin willingly puts herself and her asinine comments out for the public.

The funny issue is that you and scott are fixated on Obama and unable to see anything else. You may not be aware, but there is a world outside of bitching and moaning about Obama.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 06-17-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Heh heh...She said Dyke...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Just. A reminder - 2 wars, guantanamo, recession, unemployment, natl debt, largest oil disaster ever. How's it going
Incredible what Obama has inherited isn't it?

And then they attack him for a lack of "focus."

Oy vey.

-spence
Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Incredible what Obama has inherited isn't it?

And then they attack him for a lack of "focus."

Oy vey.

-spence
Every POTUS "inherits" the history that precedes him and that occurs on "his watch." The presumption is they want it, else why run for the office. What's your point?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Palin is irrelevant. Get over it. My future and my childrens are in obamas hands, the lives of our soliders, obamas hands. And spence, inherited? Who doubled down in afghanistan?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Every POTUS "inherits" the history that precedes him and that occurs on "his watch." The presumption is they want it, else why run for the office. What's your point?
The point is that Obama was left with the worse economic situation since the great depression with many pillors of our economy on the verge of going out of business in addition to 2 wars (1 we shouldn't have been in).
Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
The point is that Obama was left with the worse economic situation since the great depression with many pillors of our economy on the verge of going out of business in addition to 2 wars (1 we shouldn't have been in).
drink some more kool-aid.

I love the "worst economic situation since the great depression"
Yeah, maybe for people who have no knowledge of history.

lets see -
70's oil crisis
Vietnam
WWII
Korean War
Cuban Missile crisis
9/11
Dot com bubble
MULTIPLE RECESSIONS and Periods of Unemployment , with gasp...... HIGHER UNEMPLOYMENT THAN THE LAST FEW years...

gee, Obama sure has it rough!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Previous experience leads me to believe that if you didn't get it the first time there may be no use trying.

-spence
Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Heh heh...She said Dyke...

Quote:
Palin is irrelevant. Get over it. My future and my childrens are in obamas hands, the lives of our soliders, obamas hands. And spence, inherited? Who doubled down in afghanistan?
Doubled down telling the opposition when we'd pull out

And yes, Palin is irrelevant.

We suffer from a lack of leadership all over both parties.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
JohnR

OK, following up on this the reactions may be very typical knee-jerk and maybe, just maybe she didn't come across well enough in the 30 second sound bite. Reading this stuff does a better job of flushing out what she may have been talking about.

This is from a Blog that is pretty good with things naval and maritime and this particular blogger is Dutch or Belgian IIRC.

Information Dissemination: Deepwater Horizon: Dutch Point Of View

Quote:
In Dutch media I'm reading an increasing criticism regarding the response to the oil spill in the Mexican Gulf and the use of their expertise and equipment.

So, first, the timeline according to the Dutch press and press-releases from Dutch companies and governments:

* April 25. Only 3 days after the accident with the oil platform the Dutch offered their skimmers to combat the oil spill. According to the Dutch consul-general in Housten the reaction of the American government was that help was not needed, because they could handle it themselves.

* May 6. Dutch research institute Deltares and dredging company Van Oord propose an inovative concept to combat the oil spill. The US government has been alerted to the existence of this proposal through the contacts that have been established between the 2 governments since hurricane Katrina.
more...

Quote:
* May 28. The Dutch have offered 3 sets of sweeping arms, after a US request. T&T Marine Salvage, which has been hired by BP, will use these skimmers. They should be operational next week.

* June 16. Boskalis has gotten a contract to deliver sand to make barriers to protect the Lousiana coast, based on the proposal from May 6.
Quote:
And now for the critique.
One thing that always pops up is the Jones Act, or more correctly Section 27 of the Merchant Marine Act from 1920. In practice the Act means that foreign vessels can't be employed in the oil spill.
Boskalis has a local company, Stuyvesant Dredging with a US flagged ship, so that's how they were able to get a contract.

The US thinks that the sand barriers will take 9 months to be completed, but Belgian dredgers claim they can do it in 4. They also say the Jones Act is the reason the US is using antiquated technology to combat the oil spill. The European companies, of which the Dutch and Belgians ones are seen as the best in the field by most, buy their ships in the Middle East for only halve the cost of building it in the US.

The company that manufactures the skimmers that have been sent, has said that had the US allowed them from the beginning to use their skimmers they could have done this clean-up with their eyes closed. This is because the skimmers have the capacity to clean up the amount of oil that is leeking in 7 hours.
They also say the USCG was well aware of the skimmers and have visited the company 3 times in the past.

But now the skimmers are in use, the company that manufactures them says they are not being used right. They say communication with the Americans is going slowly and they do not listen to the Dutch instructors. Currently only 5% of their actual capacity is being used, because BP is sending the ships too close to the source. The problem is that the oil is not very thick there, reducing the effectiveness of the skimmers.
The communication between the USCG, BP and T&T Marine could also be a lot better, the Dutch company says. Now it is 'too many chiefs, not enough indians'.
Cargo capacity is also a problem, and because of the Jones Act, foreign ships with a cargo capacity 3 times that of US ships cannot be deployed.
There is more, and at the blog many of the links go to Dutch sites that I can't read.

While I'm no Palin fan (naughty librarian looks aside) it looks as though she may have been on to something and not just looking at the lights from nearby Russia.

Read it - Information Dissemination

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I got into a discussion over at the other place (scary as it is) where ScottW's political leanings would be equivalent to Spence here....

The berms are a bad IDEA. bad, Bad, bad

From another thread. (Posted by me, so cut-pasted myself)

I can't believe how much play this idea has gotten... the reason they need to study and or NOT DO THIS (and this is just a few off my head as a geologist)

1. There is NOT a huge surplus of sand down there to begin with, hence the severely eroding barrier islands. Just trying to find enough sand will be an issue

2. Dig the holes to get the sand in the wrong place, and you can and will severely increase erosion of the marsh/existing barrier islands in spots, often called erosional hot spots, and they do exist, naturally and from dredging elsewhere on the gulf and Atlantic coast. This will end up causing MORE impact for who knows how long (years) down the road.

3. After the fact you would have MILLIONS of cubic yards of contaminated sand to deal with, in addition to the oil in the marsh now, and oil will continue to get into the marsh, regardless. these berms will be low and will be overtopped by waves

4. it will take MONTHS to build. the time and effort will be better spend intercepting and cleaning up the oil not trying to build a giant 'berm' (they are actually building small barrier islands, not berms). The US estimate is 9 months, the Dutch 4. even if you split the difference and say 6months, and had started them May 1, they are done in NOVEMBER

5. It is foolish to think this is a catch all. all his talk about blocking the oil is BS. it will go over it, the berms will erode, the oil will still be transported, and what oil sits in the sand (sand is permeable after all) will just get moved onshore if there is a hurricane.

Focus on the the clean-up as much up and GET IT OUT of the ecosystem as quickly as possible, period!

clean it as best you can, contain all you can, but don't waste the time, money and effort on a BS design...

will parts of the marsh die, YES is that awful, YES! but will some, probably high percentage of it come back, yes! Will the marsh continue to degrade if these berms are built YES!

I have yet to see an expert come out in favor of it. Louisiana (LSU) has some of the brightest coastal geologists around, and if they were in support of it, I think Jihndal would be trotting them out to the press w/ his nifty pfd....

Just because it is less of a waste of time doesn't mean it is a good idea. put all the barges and personal he would be needing to run skimmers, booms, Costner's pumps, whatever.... the berms will do more long-term harm than good.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
JohnR

You are our resident (and highly respected) Rocktologist so thank you for that info.

As for this thread in the political discussion my point was maybe she wasn't being so looney as the conversation has been driven viraly.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
drink some more kool-aid.

I love the "worst economic situation since the great depression"
Yeah, maybe for people who have no knowledge of history.

lets see -
70's oil crisis
Vietnam
WWII
Korean War
Cuban Missile crisis
9/11
Dot com bubble
MULTIPLE RECESSIONS and Periods of Unemployment , with gasp...... HIGHER UNEMPLOYMENT THAN THE LAST FEW years...

gee, Obama sure has it rough!

At least you make me laugh
Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Palin willingly puts herself and her asinine comments out for the public.

The funny issue is that you and scott are fixated on Obama and unable to see anything else. You may not be aware, but there is a world outside of bitching and moaning about Obama.
as do you....

I was actually fixated on her boobies when you posted the pic...soooo...not entirely fixated on the Face Stuffer-in-Chief...I also fish a lot.....there is a world outside of bitching and moaning here about Palin you know
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
At least you make me laugh
70's oil crisis
Vietnam
WWII
Korean War
Cuban Missile crisis
9/11
Dot com bubble

what's funny?? people dying and suffering during these events?? you think it's funny...you have a very sick sense of humor and need psychological help!!!

at least I think that's how a lib would respond
Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
70's oil crisis
Vietnam
WWII
Korean War
Cuban Missile crisis
9/11
Dot com bubble

what's funny?? people dying and suffering during these events?? you think it's funny...you have a very sick sense of humor and need psychological help!!!

at least I think that's how a lib would respond
Its not that, during those terrible events in our history, we had presidents that took charge and delivered postive messages. Paul cant react to that. He apparently only understands whining, fingerpointing and messages of catastropy!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all