Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 03-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

External Hard Drive

Looking for a new backup hd.......i've looked on amazon and a couple computer magazines. Seems the two biggest names are western digital and seagate. all of the editor's have mostly good reviews about them. I switch over to the actual user's reviews where most of the people said 'yeah it worked just fine.........untill it broke 6-12 months later!' some of these folks claimed to be IT pros, to some extent.

I start to look more into the other brands - iomega, lacie, maxtor, simple tech. All with mixed reviews. Right now simple tech has the best feedback, mainly because there isnt much feedback on that brand.

Any recommendations???
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
EricW

Hard drives

You should probably be ok as long as you stick to one of the big guys, Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital. There are a bunch of external hd's out there that come complete with relatively good backup software and one of them has a one touch button that will do the backup for you, after you have to set it up probably. You can do it yourself sometimes cheaper if you get a drive on sale (like 49.99 for a 100-120 etc) at compusa or best buy and then buy your own enclosure. Either way, get one that has a fan. THese new hd's run teribbly hot and overheating is a big cause of failure. I have a 250 gig and it gets so hot it almost burns you. I leave the cover off of my enclosure and don't run it all the time.
I've been in IT for about 15 years now, and I have seen lots of different manufacturers in the desktops, and servers I have worked on and for me anyway, they all seem to fail at the same rate. Not many really, but you get a handful of each brand over time. None has really stood out above the others for me anyway on failure rate. Newer drives also have this SMART technology where the computer will tell you the drive is starting to fail. That has saved us a bunch of times. It sometimes gives you the ability to get everything off before you replace it. I don't know if an external setup will give you that though, since it would be usb and on bootup may not be noticed by the system.
For backup I use nero backitup, (got it free with my dvd burner but you can buy it too) and it does a great job of doing full,incremental etc. It has a scheduler and just does it's thing. Some hd's come with backup software free, so it may be good to compare who includes what.

Good luck,

Eric
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
Eric is correct, none of the manufacturers seem to stand out when it comes to longevity of their hard drives. Most of them seem to fail at some point. However, sometimes you get lucky, and have a hard drive that gives you a really long life.

As it is, it's important to keep it cool. Heat seems to shorten the lifespan of a hard drive. And External hard drives are probably terrible at this part, as a lot of them really get hot.

I run a file-server, put my hard drives in there, and put it in a out-of-the-way spot. And use RAID so if one drive fails, I can just replace it and not worry about losing all of my data.

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Ahhh - the memories...

Quantum Fireballs
IBM DeathStars, err, I mean DeskStars (Click of Death)
Early 7200RPM Seagate Barracudas ATA (another drive that could cook eggs)
I remember a few 10K Seagate Cheetahs giving up the ghost (thank god for RAID5)
Fujitsu SCSI drives...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

10K Seagate Cheetahs

ahhh my old gaming rig!! Thing sounded like a harrier!!

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
jugstah

Heh, Deathstars. I hated those.

Had too many of 'em go bad...

Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
EricW

Raid

On the topic of raid, anybody else experience one of Dell's problem Perc3 Controllers of a couple years ago? I had one. Without the right firmware it would take out multiple drives on a raid unit. One of my servers has 14 73gig scsi drives and it took out at least 4 of them. A huge pain in the .....Was the only time I have seen dell willing to send a tech to you whenever you wanted 7*24*365 to fix the problem. Thank goodness I didn't have anything critical on there. Since 2 or more drives failed per container, raid couln't help. They actually called me, but one of mine already bit the dust.

Eric
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Jonny5-22796

Western Digital Over Seagate... Always...

If cost is a factor Hitachi makes a great low cost HD that can be outfitted externally.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I went to a wedding last week for two Antennas...the ceremony was lousy but the reception was great."
Jonny5-22796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW
On the topic of raid, anybody else experience one of Dell's problem Perc3 Controllers of a couple years ago? I had one. Without the right firmware it would take out multiple drives on a raid unit. One of my servers has 14 73gig scsi drives and it took out at least 4 of them. A huge pain in the .....Was the only time I have seen dell willing to send a tech to you whenever you wanted 7*24*365 to fix the problem. Thank goodness I didn't have anything critical on there. Since 2 or more drives failed per container, raid couln't help. They actually called me, but one of mine already bit the dust.

Eric
I had a few flukey things happen on a PE4200 & PE4300 with the Perc/3 - did not realize it was that wide spread... I had a 10K Quantaum Atlas dead out of the box on a PE2300 back 6+ years ago...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Had problems with a RAID that was fixed with the CD in safe mode.. phew..
for back up I use or own a bunch of maxtors and have yet to have a problem...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
if you still need that external.. go to

www.newegg.com !!! go there best service, you will have it in less then 2 days..! awsome service!

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #12
jugstah

NEWEGG.COM has excellent RMA service also.