Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
HelenH Canyon Party Boat trip 2011

Maybe everyone will post discussion and pics here? SB Team: Niko, ThrowingTimber, FishOn, Fish4striper, Bill Sr. and Bill Jr., PRBuzz
There is already chatter to make this an annual event so stay tuned.

Trip left 7AM Sat, lines in the water 2PM Sat until 10AM Sunday, returning to dock 5PM Sunday. I will post a video later and the only picture I have is the last, biggest fish brought in on the boat: 71.5lb WaHOOOOOO reeled in by the 12 yr old Capt's son (lucky position in rotation).

During trolling there were 3 teams of 7 rotating (this will vary per cruise, we only had 21 fisherman on this charter and 1 birder watcher) every 20-30 mins. All 7 from the SB group were on the same team. Each time up moved one reel position in the spread. Trolled from 2PM until about 7PM Sat and from 7AM until 10PM Sunday. When fish on in the spread, jigging over the side was permitted.

The only mahi was Sat morning, ThrowingTimber from the SB team got a 12lber. Niko had a 72lber yellowfin on the troll Saturday to win the pool. Bill Jr landed a big yellowfin pulling in a 78lber Sunday morning on the first troll of the day. Not sure of the final counts but well over 50-60+ yellowfin boated, 6? skipjack, 3 mahi, 2 albacore, and the wahoo (guys please help here). No swords.

The night fishing (chunking butterfish or sardine) started slow but hooking up several 10ft+ tigers helped the time go by. From 12 - 1:30am FishOn, Niko and a gent from NY decided to battle an unknown beast from the sea giving it their all and pushing the rod/reel to its limits against an immovable shark before breaking the line. Some serious effort and sweat went into this battle but the fish won, never even got it close enough to see the outline. About 75 min into the fight the shark made a serious run probably putting the fish at its farthest distance away from the boat, seemed like it could run anytime it wanted.

Yellowfin fishing picked up about 3AM with several being taken on the surface and most by bait.

Myself and FishOn stuck it out all night. Sleeping could have been tricky for those that did as seas pretty rough throughout the night. Sunday morning trolling was in something like 6-10ft seas.

OK, so my tally: boated 1 albacore tuna, jigging Sunday morning on a spinning reel (Saltist 6000, Fin-nor jigging rod, 80lb PowerPro, 6oz gold jig). Wow was the pressure on to bring that one into the boat being one of the last to boat their first fish (maybe the last)! I hooked up several times jigging but just couldn't close the deal. I'd go again in a second!

Birdwatcher: saw his target species, white faced storm petrel, early Sunday morning so everyone went home happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110911_172702.jpg (157.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by PRBuzz; 09-12-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
O.D. Mike

Can't wait to see the video!!!!

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Video taken on Saturday: ride out, TT's mahi, couple yellows being land by team 2, ends with Niko's fight for the 62lb yellowfin.

Damn fresh batteries didn't last long and no spares!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Buzz Im still on my first cup of coffee and just saw this I put up a few pictures on the main forums thread.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Talking

Paul thanks for putting this together I had an awesome time! Nice to be out there while its happening rather than reading about it for a change

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
vineyardblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber View Post
Paul thanks for putting this together I had an awesome time! Nice to be out there while its happening rather than reading about it for a change

Looks like you all have FUN
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
teezer

Looks you guys had fun!

teezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
BillyBlanks

Send a message via AIM to BillyBlanks
Nice fishing guys!
BillyBlanks is offline   Reply With Quote