Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Nights ???

Thinking of adding some running lights in the off season .. any Yak Rats up for a couple of nights next year ? Could be creepy cool ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I did some night on the Freshwater last season....pretty quiet and cool at the same time.

i wouldn't do the running lights. from what I've been gleaning from the internet...they cause more trouble than they help. My understanding is a Flag is what you want on the yak...w/ a small light above it to aid in visibility.

and Yeah I am definitely up for some nights

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
blondterror

Kayaking on Joppa Flats in Newburyport on a night with some moon is great. I have done several midnight to dawn adventures with several other yakkers and it is a blast... it helps to have a combo depthfinder/GPS unit and an anchor light on a PVC pole that is 4-5' high

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
blondterror

here is the light that I use on my Hobie yak at night... I have it on top of a 5 foot PVC pipe that lashed to my plastic milk crate in stern storage section of my Revo Fish

Tektite - LED Flashlights, LED Replacement Bulbs, Dive Lights, IR, Strobes, Marker Lights, UV, CSI, LZ kits, & Tekna Knives and lites

I also bought a green/red bow light assemby from Tek-tite but I do not use it because powerboats think you are a power boat

Blond Terror
Old 11-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
here is the light that I use on my Hobie yak at night... I have it on top of a 5 foot PVC pipe that lashed to my plastic milk crate in stern storage section of my Revo Fish

Tektite - LED Flashlights, LED Replacement Bulbs, Dive Lights, IR, Strobes, Marker Lights, UV, CSI, LZ kits, & Tekna Knives and lites

I also bought a green/red bow light assemby from Tek-tite but I do not use it because powerboats think you are a power boat
nice ... thanks ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
kenny

I do my best work in the dark

where there's little fish,there's big fish
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Nebe

Since I bought my yak I have never used it in the day.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Backbeach Jake

Oh do I ever have a spot for yak fishing, dieing to try it need company. Think August.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
l.i.fish.in.vt

Fred,if it is anywhere near were i am during the season let me know i am always game.
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
FishermanTim

I have friends and family that look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention kayak fishing at night.

Besides the actual fishing aspect, I really, REALLY enjoy the peacefulness and the "connection" with the environment. What I mean is that you can see and hear so much more even on a moonless night.
There's one pond in Wayland that has multi-seasonal reasons for fishing. Spring brings the monster carp in from the Sudbury River and the pre-spawn bass into the shallows. Summer brings nighttime bass hunting and fall brings everything!
I can't forget the resident beavers, muskrats and Great Blue Heron that can startle you if you aren't paying attention. As long as I have plenty of bug repellent and my gear in up to par I'm good to go!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
frogman_ch

Running lights are not needed and shouldn't be used on a kayak. Most kayak guys use a single white light on a pole. You legally only need a flashlight.
frogman_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:

I have this light, it's really all you need. The bottom line though is that you gotta be really careful out there at night in any place with any boat traffic whatsoever cause they really don't see until they are close up, even with these super bright lights. The best bet is to just go to a place where there are very few boats, if any, at night, then it gets cool and spooky.

One night last year I was yakking in a harbor at night and heard this really weird groaning that almost sounded like a whale or something, ended up just being a dock and gangway squeeking as it bobbed in the waves, freaked me out though!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
Backbeach Jake

I was talking to some of the Commercial guys last Summer and they wanted to know why the hell do some yakkers use red lights. I said that it's for night vision preservation. They said get a white light, can't see the red one until it's almost too late. I'll get a white one and have been thinking of red green and white reflective tape as well.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
blondterror

Here is a good thread from the NEKF website where many of the guys caught over 10 fish from 30-40 inches. I had a PB that night and a 40 inch fish pulled my yak around for a few minutes before I landed her. Some good pics of a few of the fish caught and then released.

Login

Blond Terror
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I need at least 1 volunteer to do a night with me local next year ,, I'm too chicken to go it alone 1st time .. Bad Larry ?

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Oh I am in Ed!!! So in!!! Local....Yeah!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Oh I am in Ed!!! So in!!! Local....Yeah!!!
up for doing a haul ... local and your 22 spot

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
blondterror

tagger...

I was fishing Joppa Flats one night last summer from my yak and met another yak fisherman who had a seal swim up next to him just after releasing a striper. The seal was about 6 feet from him and he was glad he did not keep the fish because he thought the seal would have boarded his yak to get the striper... the sound of the seal breathing from 6 feet away would scare the sh't of off most people in the middle of a dark night OTW... he said it took him 10 minutes to calm down... I was fishing close to him but never saw the seal.....

Blond Terror
Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
up for doing a haul ... local and your 22 spot
Yeah! After I get my feet wet in the dark! Need to launch from the beach at Local for nights! Like we talked about!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
tagger...

I was fishing Joppa Flats one night last summer from my yak and met another yak fisherman who had a seal swim up next to him just after releasing a striper. The seal was about 6 feet from him and he was glad he did not keep the fish because he thought the seal would have boarded his yak to get the striper... the sound of the seal breathing from 6 feet away would scare the sh't of off most people in the middle of a dark night OTW... he said it took him 10 minutes to calm down... I was fishing close to him but never saw the seal.....
I had a seal scoot in front of me walking the shoreline one night ..Heard a comotion to my right and a big black shadow coming at me ,,right over my feet almost and into the surf.. Scared the bajesus out of me .. took a minute to figure out what happened.. couldn't imagine a kayak boarding ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I almost stepped on a seal one night on the rocks...scared the hell out of me too....eventful night that night. as i was walking back up to the truck had a little bout of Coitus Interuptus on a young couple....chick screamed and ran for the car and the dude gave us grief. Seriously though......how into it do you gotta be to not see 2 headlights 200 yards away heading in your direction.

And give me a holler when you head out at night....i may be up for a ride to join ya.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Hey ... Do Seals bite ? .. somebody told me today they will .. Have canines like a dog ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
fishbones

Quote:
Hey ... Do Seals bite ? .. somebody told me today they will .. Have canines like a dog ..
I wouldn't get close enough to a seals mouth to find out. I'm also up for a night trip next spring, Ed. I'm looking into getting a flag and light setup like described above.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #24
Backbeach Jake

A family friend was asked if his dogs bit, He said " They got teeth don't they".....

Last edited by Backbeach Jake; 12-05-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Thomas Paine
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #25
frogman_ch

Quote:
I need at least 1 volunteer to do a night with me local next year ,, I'm too chicken to go it alone 1st time .. Bad Larry ?
Hey Tagger, there are a few of us from the "kayak site" that fish the south shore a lot. You certainaly are welcome to join us anytime.
frogman_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #26
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

You can say "NEKF" here.....its not a dirty word!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman_ch View Post
Hey Tagger, there are a few of us from the "kayak site" that fish the south shore a lot. You certainaly are welcome to join us anytime.
Thanks Frogman .. where is this kayak site ?

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #28
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

NewEnglandKayakFishing.com Eddie! Thought you knew about it??

Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #29
blondterror

here is a nice fish from Joppa last July... this was a night with many 35-43" fish caught by the yak crew I was fishin with I had 2 PBs that night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joppa July 30th.jpg (122.8 KB, 12 views)

Blond Terror
Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #30
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

NewEnglandKayakFishing.com
Thanks .. I'm probably registered.. will check it out .

nice fish Blondterror ..

(dob 4-21-07)