Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
Guppy
User

Find Clammer

Raking thru the ice
254C7B41-9CEE-485B-8890-6CE773E3C680.jpeg
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
JFigliuolo

Wow... that's cool
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 AM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I am sure Mike has done it.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Clammer

I took the photo ><>LOL

actually . some of the guys that got paid $10 to cut a drench made more .

that,s back when we had transplants & when the product was dropped from the load boat ……. your were suppose to trail the shellfish out of the sack . but guys were tired or didn,t give a fu ck & would just slice the bag & flip it or just push the bag over ,,,,,,,,,,,,,so you pretty much were truly hit or miss .
it was truly a experience .
around the same time ...my boat was in the slip ..too long & I would have to cut around it a few times a day .One day the 14" chain saw wouldn,t do it any longer .ssoooooooooooooo I started it up ,put in speed .she kept climbing until it flopped on the ice ……….lifted the motor and we pushed it across the cove to the boat ramp .on the trailer & pretty much ice fished the rest of that winter

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Somewhere someone is waiting for a clam to strike and TipUp

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
I took the photo ><>LOL

actually . some of the guys that got paid $10 to cut a drench made more .

that,s back when we had transplants & when the product was dropped from the load boat ……. your were suppose to trail the shellfish out of the sack . but guys were tired or didn,t give a fu ck & would just slice the bag & flip it or just push the bag over ,,,,,,,,,,,,,so you pretty much were truly hit or miss .
it was truly a experience .
around the same time ...my boat was in the slip ..too long & I would have to cut around it a few times a day .One day the 14" chain saw wouldn,t do it any longer .ssoooooooooooooo I started it up ,put in speed .she kept climbing until it flopped on the ice ……….lifted the motor and we pushed it across the cove to the boat ramp .on the trailer & pretty much ice fished the rest of that winter
The mans a freaken genius... LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Rob Rockcrawler

Thats a great pic.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
Clammer

the secretary for the RI Shellfishermans association .has some really good older & old photos of the industry ,
I asked why none of them are not posted on the web site .it would be real interesting for people to see .
But I,m old & nothing I say is listened to …… fools ……………………….……….. very soon there will be NO commercial shellfish industry in RI …….. which in my opinion is & has been part of a long term plan from the state to begin with .
very soon all shellfish that is consumed locally will be from farms that they keep giving leases to or foreign countries .
FYI all the nets / or sets of buoys that we see popping up in the bay are farms /oyster & mussel .&&& the salt ponds they are getting so crowded that you won,t even be able to get a few to eat ..Kinda surprised on some of that . I thought some of the rich bitches would have stopped some them .
In the constution the is a phrase ,A free & common fishery …………….. that,s B/S now & only getting worse ………………………….cleaner water does mean a healther bay ……. there is a price to pay & we have been paying for 15 years & if they don,t make adjustments ,you,ll be swimming in the Providence River ,but you,ll be alone , because there won,t be much of any kind of sea life with you ……………. remember I,ll be gone But I told you so

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 01-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
l.i.fish.in.vt

anyone interested in clamming and clamboats should check out an old thread in the Woodenboat forum,"the life of a clam digger.many pages of the clam boats of LI,many pictures of freinds boats,though none of mine are pictured. was smart enough to only spend one winter clamming thru the ice,it was all good until you had the holes freeze over then some snow on top making it impossible to see where it was safe to walk. went thru once that was enough,luckly i was wearing wool pants and wool shirt under my rain gear.its been 20 years since i pulled a rake or swung a pair of tongs,i do miss those days.many of the guys i worked with are still at it most in NJ doing the relays
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Clammer

LI Is history & NJ is almost all what you said .which is deperation .Conn is dredging & is all most all chowders ………… equipment .no one makes tongs any longer & I only know of two places on the coast that make rakes & rumor is one is closing . & there are hardly any diggers left in RI & that should mean plenty of product ………..nope , very little seed .everything being caught is chunky necks & tops ……… Chowders take 40 years give or take so the only ones coming in now are the missed or a place that hasn,t been hit …………… before divers we always had places we couldn,t get to .being depth ot solid rock piles .so there was always places that were like safe houses ……….. throwing off spat - to seed to product &&&&&&&& the icing IMO was following NY/ NJ , Indian River . when they went to the count . of course we also had small stuff , but when getting paid by the pound we would stay away from the [beans] because they didn,t add up into weight ………… RI bitched & bitched & we went to the count system...……….. I remember the divers leaving all the large stuff of the bottom because it wasn,t worth the trouble . they only went back & cleaned then out when that price went up & it was worth while …………………..I said 30 years ago that it was a mistake . but everyone in all the fisheries live for today …………….. how can you expect a industry to last when your main [& when it available ]only target is the seeds, babies, furture ; attached are photos taken today from the closed section of the Providence River ……..I dropped a dime & 40 minutes later DEM was still a no show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1446.JPG (87.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1448.JPG (121.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1449.JPG (108.8 KB, 21 views)

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE