Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Unusually Warm Spring Causes Spike In Local Water Temps

After talking to Tautog at last night's club meeting we discussed what seemed to me to be higher than normal water temps in our area this year

And after doing some research when I got home - based on historical data from NOAA - our unusually warm Spring so far has caused a 5 degree jump in water temps for this date versus last year, according to readings taken from the Castle Hill NOAA buoy

NDBC - Station NWPR1

So if you're procratinating on getting your gear together for the 2010 season...you'd better get cookin'

The season may be here sooner than you think

Of course, George also forewarned me that this hypothesis could generate a response from someone attempting to use science to refute it

Me, I'll stand by my opinion...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

did someone tell the fish and their friends?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Chuck:
FYI, the station is not at Castle Hill, rather it is actually at Coasters Harbor Island on the Base.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Chuck:
FYI, the station is not at Castle Hill, rather it is actually at Coasters Harbor Island on the Base.....
Jeez, Bryan - I was expecting you to use science and here you get me on simple geography...

Where are they sampling the water temps then?

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

right at the tide gauge there is a temp gauge, plus all the other meteorological accouterments.

I don't have a clue on water temps or seasons. it might make some fish 'chew' but I think migrations and such are driven by something different, as it seems the bass and others arrive like clock work, regardless of temps...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
right at the tide gauge there is a temp gauge, plus all the other meteorological accouterments.

I don't have a clue on water temps or seasons. it might make some fish 'chew' but I think migrations and such are driven by something different, as it seems the bass and others arrive like clock work, regardless of temps...
I dunno, Bry, this might be worth batting around with Professor O'Nitis - I'll have to run it by him to get his take on it

BTW, did Dad tell you that we may be moving to the Hibernian next year? I'm all for it

At last, a nice place for club meetings within crawling distance of my house...

Old 04-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
I dunno, Bry, this might be worth batting around with Professor O'Nitis - I'll have to run it by him to get his take on it

BTW, did Dad tell you that we may be moving to the Hibernian next year? I'm all for it

At last, a nice place for club meetings within crawling distance of my house...
Maybe I should start comin, knowin there's a place that close to be able to take up part of the rug.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote