Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sore shoulders/legs?

Just saw a thread elsewhere that talked about shoulder soreness and leg issues being a known side effect of the cholesterol drug Simvastatin... My shoulders have been bothering me, at night especially, for a number of months, but I never thought that it could be a side effect of the only med I take.( I also drink Elations daily, a juice with glucosamine and chondroitin for my joints.)
Anyone else taking Simvastatin? Any soreness? I need to consult with my Dr.......

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I've been switching statin types for the last 8 (?) years as I am one who gets the muscle pains, generally lower thighs. I'm currently on Pravastatin and have not yet had the leg muscle pains but have been having trouble sleeping due to shoulder/neck pains? BTW: the current shoulder pain is only at night not constant like would be expected from a drug interaction but the neck muscle pain is constant (only one side and like having a perpetual pulled/stiff muscle). I sleep on my side so pressure on the shoulder(s) and when I sleep on my back my wife hates me: I snore.......

I'll have to investigate side effects of Pravastatin more thoroughly......where was this thread on Simvastatin?

Last edited by PRBuzz; 04-15-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Thanks Ross. BTW: I went to Niaspan as an alternative to statins and had the worst side effects of any drug so be very careful with that one.

Here is a good site for exploring drug experiences from a patient point of view:

Ask a Patient: Medicine Ratings Database

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Yes and leg cramps out of no where

you should contact your doctor
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

holy $hit - we need to talk!
PM sent!!!!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

so....at least I'm not alone. Calling Doc tomorrow, right after I do my get my bloodwork done.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

I thought it was just age. if jimmy is concerned. I'm IN
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Raven

Arrow

soda water ...also known as quinine relieves cramped Leg muscles associated with siatica and allot of times it's a result of driving long hours...

do me (yourself) a favor
google the symptoms of magnesium deficiency and see how many you have....you'll be surprised.

Vitamin B prevents charley horses too.

all pain is caused by pressure on the nerves and at night is when the myalin sheath has worn thin... your body produces lethicin as well to protect the myalin and you can buy that as a suppliment
which reduces the inflamation.

I am staying away from all presciption drugs because they only mask the symptoms anyway and then they create a whole new problem,

try eating fruit at dinner time and your heaviest meal for lunch
and you'll snore less.

Beer is the SNORE food ...yes, thought of as a beverage it digests slower than just about anything else.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

Beer is the SNORE food ...yes, thought of as a beverage it digests slower than just about anything else.
When I quit smoking I said I would never stop drinking beer (of course no lite beers cross these lips) so maybe I'll just have to move to another room and snore away!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
When I quit smoking I said I would never stop drinking beer (of course no lite beers cross these lips) so maybe I'll just have to move to another room and snore away!
I use ear plugs, because its not me, that I can hear
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
soda water ...also known as quinine relieves cramped Leg muscles associated with siatica and allot of times it's a result of driving long hours...
Rav, can't believe you came up with that

I used to get unbelievable charley-horses in my legs - knots the size of a softball in my hamstrings so bad I'd wake up bolt upright in the middle of the night - I had to wake my wife up to knead them out until I could stand up again

5 or 6 years ago we heard about the effects of quinine (tonic) water - straight, no ice

Been using it ever since every time I get cramped up - still don't know why it works but it does ...

Loosen the knots and relieves the cramps in literally a minute or two at most

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #12
Raven

a knotted egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
Rav, can't believe you came up with that

I used to get unbelievable charley-horses in my legs - knots the size of a softball in my hamstrings so bad I'd wake up bolt upright in the middle of the night - I had to wake my wife up to knead them out until I could stand up again

5 or 6 years ago we heard about the effects of quinine (tonic) water - straight, no ice

Been using it ever since every time I get cramped up - still don't know why it works but it does ...

Loosen the knots and relieves the cramps in literally a minute or two at most
i was building a staircase for a friend in New hampshire using heavy wood and using my sturdier skilsaw that weighs eight pounds so i had many many cuts to make.....ok

this was after i quick grabbed a sheet of 3/4 plywood
and carried it before my morning stretch/warmup like an idiot.

this resulted in a shoulder neck muscle Knotting up so bad
it was visible under my T-shirt like i had an egg taped to my shoulder (no exageration)

so i went for therapy to get e-stim... i got massaged...i got muscle relaxers, took copious amounts of Vitamin E that is the muscle health vitamin,,,, with ZERO results.

then i happened to read about magnesium deficiency causing muscles not to loosen up (un-cramp) and i went on google and researched magnesium deficiency and i was shocked to see i had 80% of the symptoms and had the AHAHHH! moment....

As soon as i started taking a magnesium suppliment i reduced it
by 50% ....then and only then did the physical therapy start to work... 3 weeks later it was back to normal. so i know without a doubt that it works. i also used quinine to kill that friggan egg.

SNORING ...stick a weed wacker into each nostril and get rid of the nostril hairs that impede air flow helps allot. I found a health product called "breathe eaze" (ease) and that works really good...........
especially if you are a former smoker Phil...

another trick is to go to bed clutching a pillow to your chest to prop up your chin (jaw)
so it won't drop down in the relaxed mode of sleep.

those tape on (new and improved) nostril openers also work
but are not as good as the above mentioned remedies but used in combination work very well.

I'm not saying to give up BEER but consider it to be a huge meal ok....and when you drink it you need to start right after work so you have ample time to digest it before going to bed because that's where the calories pile on
and it MAKES you snore as well.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

its the simvastatin, I just went to the doc a week or so ago, been having sore back for months, felt like I needed a massage everyday, mostly morning and night. went off the pills and in a little more than a week I was fine, I forgot what to felt to not feel the soreness! Doc prescribed new med - Crestor and so far, so good.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

When on these meds the pain develops slowly and sneaks up on you. I've had similar experiences on at least 3 different statin meds, after a week or so off med the pain is gone. I was on Crestor (5 mg daily) for almost 15 months before I decided to see if the leg pain (daughter ask why I was limping!) I was experiencing was result of Crestor and yes after stopping the pain disappeared. Now on Pravastatin and almost ready to stop taking to see if neck (and shoulder) pain disappears.

These meds definitely work in lowering my cholesterol from 210-220 to 170 but YOU have to decide if/when the pain outweighs the gains....

Good luck on Crestor but some symptoms may take a year to manifest so remember next Spring if you start experiencing muscle pain........suspect the Crestor!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

OK so I decided to see if the neck/shoulder pain I was experiencing for the last 4+ months was (prava)statin related: I have now not taken a pill in 7 days and the knotted muscle in my neck is almost pain-free and no more shoulder pain. Guess another bottle of statin meds go into the trash!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Last took the simvastatin on the 15th. Aches were gone within just a few days.....

Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
Clammer

I TAKE A JOINT FOR MY JOINTS

Crestor has worked for me with no side effects ;;

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
I TAKE A JOINT FOR MY JOINTS

Crestor has worked for me with no side effects ;;
Ya had em' ya just didn't know it.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #19
Raven

Cool most of them

the Statins (nsaids) are Bad for the heart
so ..... i won't take them anymore ( f-M all )

hydrotherapy or nutritional changes are 99%
of "my Cure" now...

Hey Buzz, don't deprive the fish
your supposed to flush those