Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #61
wdmso

love the verbal gymnastics defending Trump..

Wheres the evidence they demand against him

But these same people do not demand any evidence From Him with his Accusations .. then go on with with utopian statements

" finally shed the shackles of monarchic or dicatorial ruling classes tasted the fruits of individual freedoms and rule of law....

If you thinks thats Trumps plan ... thats amazing
Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #62
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

But she is over-rated
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Right now, he is fighting a war against which he cannot win if his base abandons him. And his opposition would not be any nicer to him nor less fervent to get rid of him if he was "presidential." How much he is being used by the establishment Republicans may be seen with what legislation they pass. The health care bill they've concocted does not bode well if it is as described by the more conservative Repubs. This may all just slide back into the same old Republicans as Democrat lite. And Progressivism may return stronger than ever. And Trump may help that along. If he survives. We shall see.

Have a good night.
If he would stick to facts and common sense, which he has on his side, he cannot lose. Instead of him tweeting that his enemies suck, he should tweet why they are so very very wrong. The people that elected him are open to that. And it would make his enemies think twice before acting the way they do. Just my opinion.

He is in a position to halt the moral and economic decline. But he needs to act like an adult. He can still be Trump, I'm not asking him to become George Will. If your goal is to destroy the people who are attacking you, then especially when you have facts and common sense on your side, you can respond more effectively by presenting your case, than by giving them the middle finger. Giving them the middle finger, emboldens his opponents. That's what liberals want, they desperately want to trade insults. The last the thing they want to do, is to talk policy, because their policies are asinine. Expose that to the light of day.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #64
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

They reported this morning Trump brand is moving to China, so I guess the Russian deal fell through, hey they like golf over there I know that for sure.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #65
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If he would stick to facts and common sense, which he has on his side, he cannot lose. Instead of him tweeting that his enemies suck, he should tweet why they are so very very wrong. The people that elected him are open to that. And it would make his enemies think twice before acting the way they do. Just my opinion.

He is in a position to halt the moral and economic decline. But he needs to act like an adult. He can still be Trump, I'm not asking him to become George Will. If your goal is to destroy the people who are attacking you, then especially when you have facts and common sense on your side, you can respond more effectively by presenting your case, than by giving them the middle finger. Giving them the middle finger, emboldens his opponents. That's what liberals want, they desperately want to trade insults. The last the thing they want to do, is to talk policy, because their policies are asinine. Expose that to the light of day.
He needs more "Congressional Speech" moments and less "Kardashian Tweet" moments

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #66
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

He is an adolescent 13 year old in a 70 year old body, he can't grow up it's not in him.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
He needs more "Congressional Speech" moments and less "Kardashian Tweet" moments
That's exactly what I was trying, and failing, to convey. He doesn't need to be Abraham Lincoln, but he shouldn't be a Kardashian either.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
He is an adolescent 13 year old in a 70 year old body, he can't grow up it's not in him.
Maybe.

But in my opinion (and we can certainly disagree) his policy ideas are way more productive for the whole of our citizenry, than Hilary's would be.

Obama went on TV and specifically said that the Carrier jobs in Indiana could not be saved, and he mocked Trump for predicting that they could be saved. Then Trump and Pence made a phone call, and did that which Obama claimed was not possible. It made Obama look like a complete idiot.

That is what Trump brings to the table, a refusal to believe that things can't be done, just because everyone else says it will take 9 years for an idea to get through the necessary sub-committees. He has no tolerance for that. That's the beauty of electing an outsider.

He wants to spend $1 trillion on infrastructure. And he wants to give big tax breaks to working families, to offset the costs of childcare. And he wants paid family medical leave. These are populist ideas that most people like, and he will ram them through faster than any of his predecessors would, because he is not part of the system that chooses to move at a glacial pace.

But all of that gets lost because of his Kardashian moments. The press certainly doesn't help, they will never, ever give him a fair shake. They can't bring themselves to say anything good about him. And shame on them for that. But he is doing everything he can, to make their job as easy as possible. And shame on him, for that.

He has the chance to be one of the most effective presidents ever. If he would just grow up a bit.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #69
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'd like to see someone actually talk some sense into him, be it his family, close business associate or recently appointed cabinet member. Someone needs to convince him to give up the constant tweeter storms and just get to fing work governing.

I've said it before, it's concerning to me that someone this thin skinned is in charge of handling the many very serious global issues any president elect faces in his 4 year term. North Korea, Russia flexing their muscles, the middle east, the list of conflicts requiring a cool head is a long one.

I know he says he has nothing to do with the family interest, but the announcement this morning about the Trump brand moving into China, begs the question is he getting special treatment to influence his decisions moving forward.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'd like to see someone actually talk some sense into him, be it his family, close business associate or recently appointed cabinet member. Someone needs to convince him to give up the constant tweeter storms and just get to fing work governing.

I've said it before, it's concerning to me that someone this thin skinned is in charge of handling the many very serious global issues any president elect faces in his 4 year term. North Korea, Russia flexing their muscles, the middle east, the list of conflicts requiring a cool head is a long one.

I know he says he has nothing to do with the family interest, but the announcement this morning about the Trump brand moving into China, begs the question is he getting special treatment to influence his decisions moving forward.
You know what's interesting, his children (at least Ivanka and Eric) don't act like him at all. When I see them on TV, they present themselves well, they appear poised and mature. He needs to act a bit more like them.

"it's concerning to me that someone this thin skinned is in charge of handling the many very serious global issues "

You are right to have some concern. Fortunately, there are some limits to what he can do unilaterally, we have all kinds of limits to his authority, all kinds of checks and balances.

"the announcement this morning about the Trump brand moving into China, begs the question is he getting special treatment to influence his decisions moving forward"

Of course it begs that question. Handing the business to his kids, which I think is what he did, isn't nearly enough of a separation. He should have sold his entire family's interests outright.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #71
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I know Trump can't wake up one morning with a hair across his arse and decide to nuke North Korea, but I'm not so sure all of our allies and more importantly our enemies; can see through all the BS coming out of his mouth. Loose lips sink ships and nobody has as loose a lip as the Donald.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
I know Trump can't wake up one morning with a hair across his arse and decide to nuke North Korea, but I'm not so sure all of our allies and more importantly our enemies; can see through all the BS coming out of his mouth. Loose lips sink ships and nobody has as loose a lip as the Donald.
He will not be as diplomatic to our partners, as they may be used to. That's another valid concern. Trump's approach seems to be, to make people realize that they need his help, and should therefore be willing to put up with his brashness. That attitude has worked for him in previous endeavors. He think sit will translate to international relations. Time will tell.

These are valid concerns, I think. But if you watch NBC or CNN, you'd think that Britain had already announced that they signed a treaty with ISIS against the US. And forget about MSNBC, that is a truly deranged place.

Trump would do well do act more adult. And the media would do well to remember why the founding fathers gave their profession special protections that no other profession enjoys, and start living up to that, and earning it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #73
detbuch

Quote:

That common sense, rational, grown-up approach has been used against Progressives for a long time. That has not been as persuasive to the voters as you seem to think it must be. When Progressives have academia, the mainstream media, Hollywood, on their side of the debate, polite conversation is not an effective weapon. Has any of your common sense, adult conversation on this forum persuaded any of those you debate?

Policy is not the last thing the Progressives want to talk about. They talk policy all the time. Policy is totally what they are about. Government policy is government rule. The more policy, the more rule. Their policies may be asinine to a classical liberal who sees government as a necessary limited evil, but they are manna to people who have been conditioned to view government as the benevolent answer for all problems. Engaging in policy debates assumes the importance of policy, and places the debate within the Progressive framework of what government is.

And Progressives don't want to trade insults. They only want to dish them out to belittle their opposition while schmoozing the public with policies that supposedly make the people's lives better. Trading insults exposes their own as such and neutralizes one of their tactics.

The emotional side of politics, in the end, is the most powerful. It is easier to win over the minds of relatively free people by promising them more comfort with less responsibility than it is by just promising to protect and defend the freedom they already have. It is only among an enslaved people that liberty can evoke the strongest emotions.

As the Progressive notion of government keeps flooding us with its never ending tangle of policies that direct our lives, some of us begin to understand that we are losing something valuable in exchange for all the government's "gifts." In the freest part of the World, the West, there is this growing "feeling" that the exchange is a Faustian bargain. After incessant debates over policy which don't change the direction of government, the first emotional reaction is to raise the middle finger. The next step is to emotionally energize people to fight back against encroaching despotism. Trump is merely a step "in the right direction."

We may still have what's left of a Republic . . . if we can keep it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #74
detbuch

Quote:
He will not be as diplomatic to our partners, as they may be used to. That's another valid concern. Trump's approach seems to be, to make people realize that they need his help, and should therefore be willing to put up with his brashness. That attitude has worked for him in previous endeavors. He think sit will translate to international relations. Time will tell.

He doesn't seem to display brashness unless he is provoked to do so. So far he has been very diplomatic. But that cuts both ways. If partners or foes get lippy, they can expect to get some lip back in return. He works cooperatively with his staff. He has done so in his business ventures. He knows how to schmooze. But where do we get this idea that he will set off some nuclear bomb if someone rubs him the wrong way. I just don't get that.

These are valid concerns, I think. But if you watch NBC or CNN, you'd think that Britain had already announced that they signed a treaty with ISIS against the US. And forget about MSNBC, that is a truly deranged place.

Trump would do well do act more adult. And the media would do well to remember why the founding fathers gave their profession special protections that no other profession enjoys, and start living up to that, and earning it.
I agree with that.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #75
buckman

Quote:
They reported this morning Trump brand is moving to China, so I guess the Russian deal fell through, hey they like golf over there I know that for sure.
Who's "they" ??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #76
detbuch

Quote:
You know what's interesting, his children (at least Ivanka and Eric) don't act like him at all. When I see them on TV, they present themselves well, they appear poised and mature. He needs to act a bit more like them.

The way his children turned out and how they support him kind of tell me that there is something about Trump that we are missing when we sum him up to be this temper tantrum deranged teenager who will destroy our world.

"it's concerning to me that someone this thin skinned is in charge of handling the many very serious global issues "

You are right to have some concern. Fortunately, there are some limits to what he can do unilaterally, we have all kinds of limits to his authority, all kinds of checks and balances.

"the announcement this morning about the Trump brand moving into China, begs the question is he getting special treatment to influence his decisions moving forward"

Of course it begs that question. Handing the business to his kids, which I think is what he did, isn't nearly enough of a separation. He should have sold his entire family's interests outright.
So what happens if he gets impeached and removed from office? If he has sold his interests outright, does he get them back. Maybe he should just collect his pension, if he gets one. He did say that he is not going to collect a salary as President. Is that the case, I wonder?

Did the Founders of this nation give up all their stuff when they got elected to office? No. The bulk of their income actually came from their private interests and assets. That did not corrupt their ability to govern. And they defended and protected the Constitution far better than our "divested" politicians of today.

I think that business of divesting themselves is overplayed. It would certainly be exposed by our attentive media if a Republican President was using his office for financial gain. Maybe not so much if a Democrat one did. Whatever the China thing is, it cuts both ways. Although, with China to date, it seems to have been a one way street.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
That common sense, rational, grown-up approach has been used against Progressives for a long time. That has not been as persuasive to the voters as you seem to think it must be. When Progressives have academia, the mainstream media, Hollywood, on their side of the debate, polite conversation is not an effective weapon. Has any of your common sense, adult conversation on this forum persuaded any of those you debate?

Policy is not the last thing the Progressives want to talk about. They talk policy all the time. Policy is totally what they are about. Government policy is government rule. The more policy, the more rule. Their policies may be asinine to a classical liberal who sees government as a necessary limited evil, but they are manna to people who have been conditioned to view government as the benevolent answer for all problems. Engaging in policy debates assumes the importance of policy, and places the debate within the Progressive framework of what government is.

And Progressives don't want to trade insults. They only want to dish them out to belittle their opposition while schmoozing the public with policies that supposedly make the people's lives better. Trading insults exposes their own as such and neutralizes one of their tactics.

The emotional side of politics, in the end, is the most powerful. It is easier to win over the minds of relatively free people by promising them more comfort with less responsibility than it is by just promising to protect and defend the freedom they already have. It is only among an enslaved people that liberty can evoke the strongest emotions.

As the Progressive notion of government keeps flooding us with its never ending tangle of policies that direct our lives, some of us begin to understand that we are losing something valuable in exchange for all the government's "gifts." In the freest part of the World, the West, there is this growing "feeling" that the exchange is a Faustian bargain. After incessant debates over policy which don't change the direction of government, the first emotional reaction is to raise the middle finger. The next step is to emotionally energize people to fight back against encroaching despotism. Trump is merely a step "in the right direction."

We may still have what's left of a Republic . . . if we can keep it.
"That common sense, rational, grown-up approach has been used against Progressives for a long time."

Not by a President. Bush just sat there and let everyone dump all over him, he never responded at all. Which is also not an approach I like.

When we show up and make our case, we win. That's why these wussies on college campuses would rather riot than let a conservative speak, because they know they have no response.

"When Progressives have academia, the mainstream media, Hollywood, on their side of the debate, polite conversation is not an effective weapon."

I disagree. When the left controls things, they don't win fact-based debates, they avoid fact-based debates. I watch NBC and MSNBC, I rarely see a conservative on there making effective points. Every once in a while MSNBC will throw a Klansmen out there, under the assumption that he represents everyone who isn't liberal. Show me a debate that Ann Coulter has ever lost. Or Trey Gowdy.

I do agree that control of media, academia, and Hollywood, is a massive obstacle. Bush responded by sating nothing when they attacked him. It didn't work. Trump responds by flying off the handle like a teenager. That won't work. The answer, I think, is in the middle somewhere.

But most people don't watch Foxnews, which means, most people only get the far-left take on everything.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
So what happens if he gets impeached and removed from office? If he has sold his interests outright, does he get them back. Maybe he should just collect his pension, if he gets one. He did say that he is not going to collect a salary as President. Is that the case, I wonder?

Did the Founders of this nation give up all their stuff when they got elected to office? No. The bulk of their income actually came from their private interests and assets. That did not corrupt their ability to govern. And they defended and protected the Constitution far better than our "divested" politicians of today.

I think that business of divesting themselves is overplayed. It would certainly be exposed by our attentive media if a Republican President was using his office for financial gain. Maybe not so much if a Democrat one did. Whatever the China thing is, it cuts both ways. Although, with China to date, it seems to have been a one way street.
"The way his children turned out and how they support him kind of tell me that there is something about Trump that we are missing when we sum him up to be this temper tantrum deranged teenager who will destroy our world"

Of course. He's not the cartoon villain that the media is making him out to be. if you google "Trump generous charity" you will get all kinds of examples of his being very generous to those in need. At times, I think he has a very soft heart. But only one TV station will ever, ever bring that up.

"So what happens if he gets impeached and removed from office? If he has sold his interests outright, does he get them back. "

But owning a huge international business concern, can portray the appearance of a conflict of interest. I wonder what Romney's plans were if he won.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #79
PaulS

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1118373
Of course. He's not the cartoon villain that the media is making him out to be. if you google "Trump generous charity" you will get all kinds of examples of his being very generous to those in need. At times, I think he has a very soft heart. But only one TV station will ever, ever bring that up.

[/QUOTE]

I googled "Trump generous charity" and the titles of almost, if not all the titles on the 1st page indicated he is not that generous. I believe in NY social circles he was considered cheap.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I googled "Trump generous charity" and the titles of almost, if not all the titles on the 1st page indicated he is not that generous. I believe in NY social circles he was considered cheap.

http://theblacksphere.net/2016/09/tr...edia-blackout/

Not vouching for the source, but some of these are public knowledge, like the time Trump (the anti Semite) flew his plane across country to fly a sick Orthodox Jewish boy.

http://ijr.com/2015/11/461306-these-...brity-persona/

http://justnotsaid.blogspot.com/2016...enerosity.html

https://townhall.com/columnists/lizc...kable-n2190160

Shall I go on?

Does that make him "generous" as far as billionaires go? I have no idea. I hang out with people who go camping for vacation.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #81
detbuch

Quote:
"That common sense, rational, grown-up approach has been used against Progressives for a long time."

Not by a President. Bush just sat there and let everyone dump all over him, he never responded at all. Which is also not an approach I like.

I also don't like that approach. But Bush wasn't the only Republican to do that. Even worse, Republicans that did respond often did it on the same policy turf to which they were responding. That is a statistically losing method when your audience is programmed to see government as the distributor of goodies. No way are "conservative" policies going to consistently win in that scenario. That is asking the dependency programmed voting public to favor less goodies in favor of some idealistic personal responsibility. Sure, there are some, many, who can see the danger to liberty in the Progressive Faustian bargain. But, until the American public can be re-enlightened about the basis and reason for our founding, the goodie gatherers are going to outnumber the personal responsibility folks.

And the battle between the two types is essentially the battle between reason and emotion.

How can that battle be tipped toward reason? Infuse emotion into principle. If one cannot get emotional about liberty, especially over trading it away in order to get shiny objects, liberty as a principle ain't got a chance. Reagan was able to do that by the force of his charisma and powerful messaging of first principles. Lincoln was able to persuade half a nation to fight the other half with his beautiful rhetoric which spoke on principles of the freedom with which we are all endowed.

Wonkish nitpicking as a debate tactic favors the bigger gift giver. Sorry, but humans being what they are, that is just the way it is. I know, I know, you're not that way. A lot of people, for whatever reason, are not that way. But most are. Unless they can be revved up in the direction of "give me liberty, or give me death." That's a tough one, especially for folks who already have a fair amount of liberty.

The task is huge. "Conservatives" (constitutional) have to retake our educational system and have it sing their song rather than the Progressive siren call of the gift givers. That's a toughy. And a fairly long hall. But shaping the minds of our children in favor of freedom and personal responsibility is prerequisite to restoring the nation to founding principles. If that is done, most of the rest will follow. And appeals to the original "freedom of" paradigm rather than Roosevelt's "freedom from" will have the emotional appeal needed to favor responsibility over dependence.

At least, Trump has infused some emotion in his opposition to the lefties. And more than just the least, he has activated some urgency and energy as well. His New York brashness has its plusses and its (many) negatives. But, in the long run, he is just a beginning. If the movement (and his adopted movement), in the West as a whole, and here in particular, toward regional sovereignty and individual responsibility/liberty fails now, we may have to sink deeper into that soft despotism of dependency until another, less rational, revolution occurs.

When we show up and make our case, we win. That's why these wussies on college campuses would rather riot than let a conservative speak, because they know they have no response.

That is allowed by the lefties in power because it feeds the emotional demands of a large part of their base. It is not about "making a case." Therefor it doesn't convince lefties to become righties. Nothing, for the left is won or lost. They hold ground.

"When Progressives have academia, the mainstream media, Hollywood, on their side of the debate, polite conversation is not an effective weapon."

I disagree. When the left controls things, they don't win fact-based debates, they avoid fact-based debates. I watch NBC and MSNBC, I rarely see a conservative on there making effective points. Every once in a while MSNBC will throw a Klansmen out there, under the assumption that he represents everyone who isn't liberal. Show me a debate that Ann Coulter has ever lost. Or Trey Gowdy.

When did Progressives say that Ann Coulter has ever won a debate? No matter how quick witted, precisely on her mark she is, to a Progressive she is simply standing on the wrong ground. No matter how well her arguments defend that ground, it is wrong to begin with. To the lefties, It's like Hitler making a very persuasive reason for Nazism. Notice how even those on this forum, even if they are not pure Progressives, mock Coulter. She, like so many icons of the right, has been successfully demonized by the left. Most, even reasonable "moderates," can't get past her defined image. They'd rather not even listen to her or read her columns or books. She preaches to the choir. So don't go thinking she hands down wins debates. Even if you, or "conservatives" think she does. Ergo for Gowdy. Though when he talks law that may be a different matter.

I do agree that control of media, academia, and Hollywood, is a massive obstacle. Bush responded by sating nothing when they attacked him. It didn't work. Trump responds by flying off the handle like a teenager. That won't work. The answer, I think, is in the middle somewhere.

Again, he may not be flying off the handle. If you notice, most of the time he makes what seem to be outlandish remarks, he does so with a straight face and a rather calm manner. Doesn't often seem to go truly ballistic. Maybe emotional sometimes. And sometimes ballistic. Is that not acceptable? And a lot times it "works." Not in ways that folks traditionally understand.

But most people don't watch Foxnews, which means, most people only get the far-left take on everything.
Your last sentence sort of wraps it up. But it's not just the inattention to Fox News, but mostly the educational system from K through college. It is from that system that mainstream media and the entertainment industry is informed.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #82
PaulS

http://www.snopes.com/luck/trump.asp

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your last sentence sort of wraps it up. But it's not just the inattention to Fox News, but mostly the educational system from K through college. It is from that system that mainstream media and the entertainment industry is informed.
"The task is huge"

It is. Also hugely important.

I don't disagree with anything you said, except maybe one thing...when a thoughtful conservative does get a forum with liberals, and performs well, I do believe that some persuadable people (not the zealots on either side) will see who wins.

But you are correct, the liberals were brilliant to establish strongholds in academia and the media. Brilliant move, and very tough to overcome.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #84
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
http://www.snopes.com/luck/trump.asp

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.
I'm sure you are correct.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #85
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
love the verbal gymnastics defending Trump..

What do you mean by "verbal gymnastics"? And can you cite some of the ones you're referring to?

Wheres the evidence they demand against him

Exactly, where's the evidence that Sessions, or Trump, or Trump's team colluded with the Russians to help Trump win?

But these same people do not demand any evidence From Him with his Accusations ..

All kinds of folks are demanding evidence from Trump (I assume that's who you are referring to) to back up his claim. Are you demanding it? I, personally don't demand any evidence, either from those who accuse Trump of collusion, or from Trump to back up his statement. I haven't heard of any evidence either way. Actually, Mark Levin has laid out a media trail of reportage that indicates that there was surveillance of Trump Towers, but I don't know if that is evidence.

I do observe, however, that there is a frenzied attempt to connect Trump with Russian collusion. That there is no evidence of it makes me wonder why there is such a desire to portray that he did collude. If anything, Trump's countercharge slowed down the drumbeats against him. That may pick up again. Especially if some actual evidence is found.

But even if there were evidence found, how would that be worse than what Dems have done in the past? Oh well . . . I apologize for not demanding evidence.

then go on with with utopian statements

" finally shed the shackles of monarchic or dicatorial ruling classes tasted the fruits of individual freedoms and rule of law....

What's utopian about that statement? Is there something in the statement referring to a perfect or idealistic state? Is there even an untruth or a lie in the statement?

If you thinks thats Trumps plan ... thats amazing
"Trump's election is part of an anti-progressive globalism which was deconstructing Western societies and reshaping them from diverse family oriented people with distinct regional cultures who all had finally shed the shackles of monarchic or dictatorial ruling classes and tasted the fruits of individual freedoms and rule of law. And shaping them into what appeared to be, once again, cultureless collectives dependent on and ruled by overlords."

Is their anything about Trump's plan in that statement? Are you denying there is an anti-Progressive movement occurring in Western countries?

Do you know what Trump's plan is?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #86
detbuch

Quote:
If the Dems would quit slowing down his cabinet selections, he could get down to effing work. In the meantime, he has met with foreign leaders, punched out executive orders, deleted other executive orders, met with business leaders and influenced some to do more business here, made proposals for tax cuts, prodded Congress to work on health care, instigated more movement on building The Wall, had a travel ban on and vetting of possible terrorists crafted, rejected, and remade, nominated a Supreme Court Judge, fought off and counter punched constant attacks on his character and loyalty, had some rallies, made some speeches . . . and some other things I can't remember off-hand.

I think you realize that everything he tries to do will be slowed down, litigated, criticized . . . opposed even by some in his own party. And that there is and will be a constant attempt to remove him from office backed by mainstream media--and if all fail to topple him, he will be tied up in knots out of which he will constantly have to extricate himself.

As far as I'm concerned, I won't be unhappy if he nor Congress get much "done." If Trump can help get us two or three good SCOTUS judges and fills the vacancies of the lower courts, reduces regulations and makes the country more business friendly as well as strengthening the military, that would be a good start, for me, toward making us freer and productive. If the Federal government would give us less obstacles to freely live our lives, protect our borders, and let us come up with solutions to our problems at state and local levels as well as in our personal lives, that would get us closer to whatever Trump means by "great again."

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-08-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #87
wdmso

Quote:
"Trump's election is part of an anti-progressive globalism which was deconstructing Western societies and reshaping them from diverse family oriented people with distinct regional cultures who all had finally shed the shackles of monarchic or dictatorial ruling classes and tasted the fruits of individual freedoms and rule of law. And shaping them into what appeared to be, once again, cultureless collectives dependent on and ruled by overlords."

Is their anything about Trump's plan in that statement? Are you denying there is an anti-Progressive movement occurring in Western countries?

Do you know what Trump's plan is?
Do you ??? I have heard nothing from Him but noise .. that in any way shape or form outlines or even explains his Plan

your creative writing about his intent is insightful very Knight on white horse here to save us from our enslavers .. but not based in reality.. How many freedoms have been stolen from you by these monarchic or dictatorial ruling classes which you list .. will the list be as colorful ?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #88
detbuch

Quote:
Do you ??? I have heard nothing from Him but noise .. that in any way shape or form outlines or even explains his Plan

I didn't mention any Trump plan. You mentioned "plan." If you don't know his plan, why make a sarcasm about it?

your creative writing about his intent is insightful very Knight on white horse here to save us from our enslavers .. but not based in reality.. How many freedoms have been stolen from you by these monarchic or dictatorial ruling classes which you list .. will the list be as colorful ?
Nor did I say anything about Trump's "intent" in the passage you cite: "Trump's election is part of an anti-progressive globalism which was deconstructing Western societies and reshaping them from diverse family oriented people with distinct regional cultures who all had finally shed the shackles of monarchic or dictatorial ruling classes and tasted the fruits of individual freedoms and rule of law."

I was speaking of Western society as a whole. The process toward individual freedom started in the West, in Europe, long before the American Experiment. But it got going into high gear with the American Revolution. Obviously all the Western countries, including the US, freed themselves from the above said shackles, advanced toward individual freedom, and created similar but varied rules of law protecting their freedom.

The current Progressive movement is about reshaping regional and cultural differences. The UN is a model or a start for centralized world government. Regional differences are cause of division and conflict. The goal is to tamp down and eventually eliminate the differences by melding them all into an agreed upon sameness. The goal is noble. World harmony and equality.

For that to happen much history and current culture will have to be forgotten or rewritten or re-"interpreted." And the true diversity existing in the human genome will have to be engineered to eliminate differences potentially harmful to a central order. And family heritage will have to be subsumed by patronage of the State.

I don't think that the Progressive model is, as you might say, "based in reality."

As for stolen freedoms, to discuss that would require that you and I agree on what freedoms are and which did we get in our Revolution. And how they are protected and guaranteed. And further, it would be required of us to agree on what it means to "interpret" the Constitution that does that. Since we have shown that we don't agree on that, it is probably futile to give you a list of freedoms lost.

But I'll point out one way that it has happened as an example of the many, and make some general comments.

Early encroachments on Constitutional interpretation were done through the Commerce and the General Welfare Clauses. For FDR's New Deal to happen, for instance, the Constitution had to be "tortured" (the word used by one of the four members of FDR's Brain Trust when he admitted that most of the New Deals creations of agencies and production of regulations were done by "torturing" the Constitution out of recognition) and "interpreted" into something it is not. An early example involved protecting the New Deal's attempt at stabilizing the price of commodities by not letting them drop. So the farmers' output was limited by quota so as not to "overproduce" which would bring the price down (which, ironically would have been a boon to the poor and unemployed during the depression). So when a certain wheat farmer (in Ohio if I remember correctly) produced a small amount above the quota for his personal use, the federal government fined him using the Commerce Clause as justification.

The farmer took the case all the way to the Supreme Court. The problem for the government was that the Commerce Clause is actually an interstate commerce clause. So, per the Constitution, for the government to win, the product had to cross state lines and it had to be sold, (actual commerce). But FDR's Progressive Court found that the farmer actually affected the aggregate price of wheat because he didn't buy it. So, even though the wheat never crossed state lines (was not interstate) and was not sold (commerce), the farmer lost, as did the rest of us, the ability to grow stuff for ourselves if the government says we can't for whatever reason it concocts. And it vitiated the meaning of the Interstate Commerce Clause. The government can invoke the clause in any case in which the outcome can, in any way, affect commerce. Which just about involves anything we do. The amount of rights that have been limited or eliminated under the precedent created by this "interpretation" are many, and boundless in the future.

This case can be multiplied in manifold instances, fist by Court cases with twisted "interpretations." Then added to by the creation of a plethora of agencies which have unconstitutional plenary power to regulate almost every aspect of our lives. Agencies which produce 80 thousand new pages of regulations, on top of the old ones, every year.

Various court cases have limited or even destroyed much of the Bill of Rights. As well, religious and Speech rights have been narrowed or eliminated. Gun rights have been narrowed and are constantly under assault. Eminent Domain has been stretched to give government more power to seize land than was originally given to it. And much, much more. What is rarely mentioned anymore is what was once referred to as the vast residuum of rights reserved to the people. Those being the innumerable rights outside of those few granted to the government. But, the expansion of all-powerful regulatory agencies along with Court interpretations have, over time, somehow managed to expand government rights to include that vast residuum once belonging to the people and the states, and basically left only those granted to us by the Bill of rights, which, as I've said, have also been narrowed. If you are truly interested, you can research and read up on what has been lost in terms of individual rights.

And keep in mind, much of what is lost is potential. For instance, the Court decision on the ACA, not only gave the power to the Federal Government to force us to buy health insurance under penalty of a tax if we don't, it has by precedence given the government power to force us to buy anything else under the same penalty. So, even though we can now buy or not buy broccoli as we choose without penalty, it's not because we now have some unalienable right (one of those vast residuum of rights we once had) not to buy it without penalty, it's only because the government has not, at this point, decided to restrict that right. But it now has that right (which it once didn't have) and we have lost that "right."

In this way, the precedence set by various individual cases, have actually spawned potentials for unlimited regulation of anything that can be imagined to relate to any precedence under the umbrella of the decisions made.

This could be expanded to a book to give you the list you asked for. But some on the forum don't like to read more than a couple of sentences, so I'll leave it off here. Hope you get the gist. If not, it probably won't be a tragedy. I certainly don't want to invoke the "chicken little" type argument you don't like. (Which, you probably haven't noticed that you often do.)

Last edited by detbuch; 03-10-2017 at 04:21 PM..
Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #89
wdmso

Quote:
Nor did I say anything about Trump's "intent" in the passage you cite: "Trump's election is part of an anti-progressive globalism which was deconstructing Western societies and reshaping them from diverse family oriented people with distinct regional cultures who all had finally shed the shackles of monarchic or dictatorial ruling classes and tasted the fruits of individual freedoms and rule of law."

I was speaking of Western society as a whole. The process toward individual freedom started in the West, in Europe, long before the American Experiment. But it got going into high gear with the American Revolution. Obviously all the Western countries, including the US, freed themselves from the above said shackles, advanced toward individual freedom, and created similar but varied rules of law protecting their freedom.

The current Progressive movement is about reshaping regional and cultural differences. The UN is a model or a start for centralized world government. Regional differences are cause of division and conflict. The goal is to tamp down and eventually eliminate the differences by melding them all into an agreed upon sameness. The goal is noble. World harmony and equality.

For that to happen much history and current culture will have to be forgotten or rewritten or re-"interpreted." And the true diversity existing in the human genome will have to be engineered to eliminate differences potentially harmful to a central order. And family heritage will have to be subsumed by patronage of the State.

I don't think that the Progressive model is, as you might say, "based in reality."

As for stolen freedoms, to discuss that would require that you and I agree on what freedoms are and which did we get in our Revolution. And how they are protected and guaranteed. And further, it would be required of us to agree on what it means to "interpret" the Constitution that does that. Since we have shown that we don't agree on that, it is probably futile to give you a list of freedoms lost.

But I'll point out one way that it has happened as an example of the many, and make some general comments.

Early encroachments on Constitutional interpretation were done through the Commerce and the General Welfare Clauses. For FDR's New Deal to happen, for instance, the Constitution had to be "tortured" (the word used by one of the four members of FDR's Brain Trust when he admitted that most of the New Deals creations of agencies and production of regulations were done by "torturing" the Constitution out of recognition) and "interpreted" into something it is not. An early example involved protecting the New Deal's attempt at stabilizing the price of commodities by not letting them drop. So the farmers' output was limited by quota so as not to "overproduce" which would bring the price down (which, ironically would have been a boon to the poor and unemployed during the depression). So when a certain wheat farmer (in Ohio if I remember correctly) produced a small amount above the quota for his personal use, the federal government fined him using the Commerce Clause as justification.

The farmer took the case all the way to the Supreme Court. The problem for the government was that the Commerce Clause is actually an interstate commerce clause. So, per the Constitution, for the government to win, the product had to cross state lines and it had to be sold, (actual commerce). But FDR's Progressive Court found that the farmer actually affected the aggregate price of wheat because he didn't buy it. So, even though the wheat never crossed state lines (was not interstate) and was not sold (commerce), the farmer lost, as did the rest of us, the ability to grow stuff for ourselves if the government says we can't for whatever reason it concocts. And it vitiated the meaning of the Interstate Commerce Clause. The government can invoke the clause in any case in which the outcome can, in any way, affect commerce. Which just about involves anything we do. The amount of rights that have been limited or eliminated under the precedent created by this "interpretation" are many, and boundless in the future.

This case can be multiplied in manifold instances, fist by Court cases with twisted "interpretations." Then added to by the creation of a plethora of agencies which have unconstitutional plenary power to regulate almost every aspect of our lives. Agencies which produce 80 thousand new pages of regulations, on top of the old ones, every year.

Various court cases have limited or even destroyed much of the Bill of Rights. As well, religious and Speech rights have been narrowed or eliminated. Gun rights have been narrowed and are constantly under assault. Eminent Domain has been stretched to give government more power to seize land than was originally given to it. And much, much more. What is rarely mentioned anymore is what was once referred to as the vast residuum of rights reserved to the people. Those being the innumerable rights outside of those few granted to the government. But, the expansion of all-powerful regulatory agencies along with Court interpretations have, over time, somehow managed to expand government rights to include that vast residuum once belonging to the people and the states, and basically left only those granted to us by the Bill of rights, which, as I've said, have also been narrowed. If you are truly interested, you can research and read up on what has been lost in terms of individual rights.

And keep in mind, much of what is lost is potential. For instance, the Court decision on the ACA, not only gave the power to the Federal Government to force us to buy health insurance under penalty of a tax if we don't, it has by precedence given the government power to force us to buy anything else under the same penalty. So, even though we can now buy or not buy broccoli as we choose without penalty, it's not because we now have some unalienable right (one of those vast residuum of rights we once had) not to buy it without penalty, it's only because the government has not, at this point, decided to restrict that right. But it now has that right (which it once didn't have) and we have lost that "right."

In this way, the precedence set by various individual cases, have actually spawned potentials for unlimited regulation of anything that can be imagined to relate to any precedence under the umbrella of the decisions made.

This could be expanded to a book to give you the list you asked for. But some on the forum don't like to read more than a couple of sentences, so I'll leave it off here. Hope you get the gist. If not, it probably won't be a tragedy. I certainly don't want to invoke the "chicken little" type argument you don't like. (Which, you probably haven't noticed that you often do.)

Sure sounded like you knew his plan if you dont know what Trump's plan is? why the big answer ... you could expanded to a book but I don't read fantasy ......

laws are not created in a vacuum they are made by men and women we elect... the world changes thats the nature of things

nostalgia is the blanket of the fearful
Old 03-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #90
detbuch

Quote:
Sure sounded like you knew his plan if you dont know what Trump's plan is? why the big answer ... you could expanded to a book but I don't read fantasy ......

Sure sounds like you know how to spout gibberish. And how to read something that doesn't exist (maybe the reason for the spouted gibberish). I never mentioned a plan. I didn't speak of a plan. I didn't say anything about Trump's plan. You're the one who brought up "plan."

laws are not created in a vacuum they are made by men and women we elect... the world changes thats the nature of things

Now you're moving the goalpost. Your switching from "rights" (freedoms) to "laws."

And you're demonstrating that you do not understand this nation's founding. You don't understand the Declaration of Independence. So you don't understand the purpose of the Constitution and why it was written the way it was. It shows to me that when you took the oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, you didn't know what exactly you were swearing to defend.

The Constitution limits government's (your elected men and women) ability to write laws which infringe on individuals' unalienable rights. They are unalienable because they precede the Constitution. And precede all man made laws. You can refer to unalienable rights as natural rights, or rights provided not by men but by a creator. Rights as laws created by men and women are not unalienable since men and women can write those laws out of existence or abridge them however they choose. If all rights were granted by humans, then no right would be unalienable. And there would be no guarantee against despotic administrations instituting tyrannical laws. Nor any legal guarantee against those men and women stripping people of rights.

The Bill Of Rights are examples of specified unalienable rights. Those rights are not granted by the Constitution. They are pre-existing rights which the Constitution defends. The "rights" in the Bill Of Rights are not man made written "laws" as such. They are limitations against law. They are limitations on governments ability to write laws. The same can be said about what was once referred to as "the vast residuum" of individual rights. The Bill Of Rights are referred to by some as a charter of negative liberties. They are rights that government cannot negate nor abridge. The government has negative (no) right to deny them.

It may be that all laws are written by Humans. But not all rights are--if you adhere to the principles of our founding and the Constitution. There are no man made laws creating life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These are natural ""rights" inherent in human nature.

On the other hand, if you adhere to the principles of Progressivism as your statement strongly implies, then you believe there are no rights except those granted by government. And all rights are positively expressed by laws written by government (men and women we elect). And because you believe all laws are written by men and women, then you must believe that the law written by men to limit men and women's ability to write laws, the Constitution, is null and void. Because if all laws are written by men and women then there is no limit to their ability to do so. Ergo, for you, as it de facto is for Progressives, the Constitution is nonsense and an impediment to the ability of men and women to write laws prescribing all rights.

Which is why I said: 'it would be required of us to agree on what it means to "interpret" the Constitution . . . Since we have shown that we don't agree on that, it is probably futile to give you a list of freedoms lost."

So I apologize for the "big answer." I wasted both of our times. No doubt I have done so again with this big answer.

It is ironic, though, when you said the "world" changes, that's the "nature" of things. It was the Constitution that was written to reflect nature, and specifically human nature, and natural law. You say you don't read fantasy, yet refer to "nature" not as a concrete, material thing, but as some abstract "nature" of perpetual change. Although your notion is a perfect expression of Progressivism, that the "nature" of things is change, that nullifies the notion that there is a constant human nature, or even a constant nature. Which all rather nullifies concepts such as law and rights if their is no constant reality on or in which those things exist. How can even science operate without constants? What is a law or a right that constantly changes? Without some constant fundamental on which to build law or imagine a right, then laws and rights are fantasies that come and go in fictive definitions. Everything is relative so nothing truly exists except in relation to something else. Laws and rights exist only in relation to Transitory occasions. What may be a law or a right in this occasion may not be so in an unlimited number of other occasions. The function of law becomes completely arbitrary. In effect laws and rights are fantasies of the moment.

And that is precisely the nature of man made ideas which are not based on actual and constant natural phenomena. Pure, imaginative fiction. Beautiful in their own right. But not functional as law or rights, nor much else that has to be translated into the "real" world.

nostalgia is the blanket of the fearful
That's a poetic string of words. But nostalgia is a lot more things than that limited definition. Besides, in what you're responding to, I didn't say anything nostalgically. I was being matter of fact. My pointing out how freedoms were lost, for instance, were factual. Not nostalgic at all. But if you're off in some fantasy la-la land, things might seem nostalgic to you.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-11-2017 at 01:25 AM..