Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #121
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I didn't say he was honest. I said there's no evidence that he is dishonest. He wa sin the room, and didn't hear the remarks attributed to Trump. You show me proof that he's wrong, and I'll concede your point. I don't deny the obvious Paul.
But cotton and Purdue both change their story from saying they didn't hear the statement to now saying it didn't happen. What would have changed their mind was there a tape of it? I know you would concede that that is something president Trump would say.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #122
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
All I heard Rand Paul say was that Trump donated something, not that he was a major, major donor.

Sounds like a good tax deduction for the Donald. He needs a strong Haiti, it's where he gets most of his workers for Mar-A-Lago.
Rand Paul said that Trump showed that he cared very deeply for the Haitian people. That he donated money to save the vision of 200 Haitians.

Oh, but wait, if he was not a major, major donor, that's proof he is a racist. And if he hires Haitians to work at Mar-A-Lago, he hates them and is a bigot racist. And shame on Trump for getting a tax deduction for charitable donations.

You have said nothing here to show that Trump is a racist. And if you think you have said anything in this thread to show that he is a racist, then you are either deficient in logical thinking, or a political hack. One who might agree with another political operative like Democrat Rep. Luis Gutierrez who said: “We now know that we have in the White House someone who could lead the Ku Klux Klan in the United States of America, somebody who could be the leader of the Neo-Nazi."

For you, it would be perfectly appropriate for a politician to make an ad hominem attack like that, but to call Haiti a sh*thole is to be unfit for office.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #123
detbuch

#^&#^&#^&#^& Durbin has a track record of misrepresenting what was said in a closed door meeting in which no notes or recordings were made, such as this. He is one of the most vociferous personal attackers in the Senate. And he does not adhere to the traditional "collegiality" of Senate décor. The use of salty language during heated negotiations, especially when it is not directed at another member of the negotiation, need not be broadcast to the public, unless it is intended to harm the other member or his party. That's a cheap, dirty trick.

If Trump were a Democrat, or if he had agreed to all or most of what Durbin had proposed, would he have been outraged at Trump's language?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #124
spence

His own behavior reveals his true feelings.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #125
Pete F.
Canceled

Here is an interesting article about immigration and you can read the sources also.
Surprise, immigrants have always typically been poor people, even Norwegians.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ut-we-once-did

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #126
Nebe

Here are some great examples of why Trump is labeled a racist.
In my eyes, when I see people defend this douchebag, I just see another racist or closet racist. Especially when they say ' everyone thinks these things, he just says what he thinks'.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...imes&smtyp=cur
Old 01-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #127
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The internet is full of examples of Trumps racists views, I don't have all day to read them all, nor do I need to; I've heard enough sh*thole type comments from him to know exactly what he is. If Trump donated money to third world countries, I'm pretty sure his accountant advised him he need some additional deductions; only so many bankruptcy you can file.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mp-racist.html
Old 01-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #128
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Rand Paul said that Trump showed that he cared very deeply for the Haitian people. That he donated money to save the vision of 200 Haitians.

Oh, but wait, if he was not a major, major donor, that's proof he is a racist. And if he hires Haitians to work at Mar-A-Lago, he hates them and is a bigot racist. And shame on Trump for getting a tax deduction for charitable donations.

You have said nothing here to show that Trump is a racist. And if you think you have said anything in this thread to show that he is a racist, then you are either deficient in logical thinking, or a political hack. One who might agree with another political operative like Democrat Rep. Luis Gutierrez who said: “We now know that we have in the White House someone who could lead the Ku Klux Klan in the United States of America, somebody who could be the leader of the Neo-Nazi."

For you, it would be perfectly appropriate for a politician to make an ad hominem attack like that, but to call Haiti a sh*thole is to be unfit for office.
"Rand Paul said that Trump showed that he cared very deeply for the Haitian people. That he donated money to save the vision of 200 Haitians"

And Rand Paul hates Trump.

"if he was not a major, major donor, that's proof he is a racist"

That is the logic behind the arguments his opponents are making. It's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
All you need to do is look at trumps past behavior and ask yourself..”would he really say that?” Of course he would say that.

Nebe, have you heard anyone suggest that Trump would never say such a thing? Sure he would. It's also true, that his adversaries are capable of making up lies about him. We don't know. If there's video or audio, I will be convinced. Until then, I don't have a problem taking the word of Tom Cotton, a Harvard Law graduate who signed up for the Army, and he chose combat infantry when he could have gone a cushier route.

Quote:
Sounds like a good tax deduction for the Donald. He needs a strong Haiti, it's where he gets most of his workers for Mar-A-Lago.
Are democrats so altruistic that they don't deduct charitable donations? Are you feeling all right? Seriously, are you OK?

Calling Haiti a sh*thole makes him crass. It's not the least bit racist. Suggesting we take more immigrants from Norway might be racist, or he might be expressing the logical notion that if we have fewer penniless immigrants, and more who are self-sufficient, that makes it easier for us.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #129
Jim in CT

Quote:
This has been studied a lot and found that it's really not true. Many immigrants aren't low skilled and fill gaps in the workplace. A lot of low-skilled labor based jobs Americans simply don't want. Farmers that rely on immigrant workers continually face labor shortages.

I'm sure you can find some specific anecdotes where it's the case but in a general sense doesn't seem to pan out.
"This has been studied a lot and found that it's really not true"

It's not true that increasing supply suppress prices? That's not true? Fascinating, what a breakthrough!

"Many immigrants aren't low skilled "

And many are. What percentage of the illegals would you say are low skilled?

"in a general sense doesn't seem to pan out"

So why do liberals bemoan that wages at the bottom are not rising?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-15-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #130
Sea Dangles

Quote:
In my eyes, when I see people defend this douchebag, I just see another racist or closet racist. Especially when they say ' everyone thinks these things, he just says what he thinks'.

I called San Francisco a crap hole. Does that make me racist? What about if you drove through a crappy town like central falls and referred to it in a way that isn't exactly a complement,are you racist? If you were watching the news within he past two years and saw Aleppo getting torn to shreds and called it a craphole,would the left consider that racism. It is getting difficult to keep up. Nowadays I suppose you just say there is a lot of potential and move along so you don't hurt any feelings. Maybe distribute some puppies to pet.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #131
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

No one comment on it's own would likely label him a racist, but the complete body of work that is Trump running off his mouth (when not reading speeches written for him), I think clearly does just that. He not only walks like a duck, looks like a duck, eats like a duck, he quacks the same way over and over again; me thinks he must be a duck.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #132
spence

Quote:
So why do liberals bemoan that wages at the bottom are not rising?
A lot of factors here, automation technology, declines in unions, some due to cheap imports etc...the value of labor has declined but it's not primarily due to oversupply. Big problem is it's easier for the wealthy to make money with capital rather than investment in people.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #133
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I called San Francisco a crap hole. Does that make me racist? What about if you drove through a crappy town like central falls and referred to it in a way that isn't exactly a complement,are you racist? If you were watching the news within he past two years and saw Aleppo getting torn to shreds and called it a craphole,would the left consider that racism. It is getting difficult to keep up. Nowadays I suppose you just say there is a lot of potential and move along so you don't hurt any feelings. Maybe distribute some puppies to pet.
Are you making policy impacting the people of San Francisco?

Are your comments about San Francisco directed at a single race that you've previously disparaged?

Do you have a rich history of making statements many find racist and or racially divisive?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #134
Jim in CT

Quote:
A lot of factors here, automation technology,
Interesting. Then why do liberals deny that increases in minimum wage, reduce the demand for minimum wage workers?

Spence, this is fascinating.

First, regarding immigration, liberals are denying that an influx of cheap supply of an item, will reduce its price.

Second, regarding the potential adverse effects of minimum wage hikes, liberals are denying that when you increase the cost of something, that the demand for that something will decrease.

I'm really, truly learning a lot here. Much of what I was taught about economics, supply & demand, and the elasticity of price, was all wrong. Wow.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #135
spence

Quote:
Interesting. Then why do liberals deny that increases in minimum wage, reduce the demand for minimum wage workers?

Spence, this is fascinating.

First, regarding immigration, liberals are denying that an influx of cheap supply of an item, will reduce its price.

Second, regarding the potential adverse effects of minimum wage hikes, liberals are denying that when you increase the cost of something, that the demand for that something will decrease.

I'm really, truly learning a lot here. Much of what I was taught about economics, supply & demand, and the elasticity of price, was all wrong. Wow.
I've never heard anyone claim increased minimum wage decreases demand for those workers.

As for the other. You're trying to apply a very basic theory to a very complex situation with a lot more variables.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #136
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Are you making policy impacting the people of San Francisco?

Are your comments about San Francisco directed at a single race that you've previously disparaged?

Do you have a rich history of making statements many find racist and or racially divisive?
Jeff, I was responding to Eben. That is why I quoted him in my post. I am hoping you understand the context of my post, if you don't then you are still a #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #137
Sea Dangles

Never mind, I already know the answer.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #138
Jim in CT

Quote:
I've never heard anyone claim increased minimum wage decreases demand for those workers.

As for the other. You're trying to apply a very basic theory to a very complex situation with a lot more variables.
"I've never heard anyone claim increased minimum wage decreases demand for those workers"

Of course you haven't, because they won't say that on MSNBC.

Spence, all other things being equal, when you increase the price of something, what happens to the demand?

"You're trying to apply a very basic theory to a very complex situation with a lot more variables"

Oh. So the liberals know that the GOP tax overhaul will cost 1.5 trillion, because that's a simple calculation with no moving pieces in a world where everything always stays exactly the same.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #139
Nebe

Quote:
Never mind, I already know the answer.
There’s this cool term. It’s called “acting presidential”. The president is required to inspire us to do our best. He’s our leader. What we have is a classless douche who’s obviously a narcissist. Sad.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #140
Jim in CT

Quote:
There’s this cool term. It’s called “acting presidential”. The president is required to inspire us to do our best. He’s our leader. What we have is a classless douche who’s obviously a narcissist. Sad.
no one will deny that he's not presidential.

"The president is required to inspire us to do our best"

That's not remotely close to what I teach my kids. Our history is full of presidents who were not great role models. Not to Trump's magnitude, I grant that.

"He’s our leader"

true. And in many respects, especially the economy, he's a great leader. Nebe, I have always worked for large businesses. I'd rather have a world-class pr*ck as my CEO, who can outsmart my competition...than a well-meaning idiot who can't do anything right.

"What we have is a classless douche who’s obviously a narcissist. Sad."

He is all of those things. But that doesn't come close to meaning that he's not a good leader.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #141
PaulS

now the claim is that instead of Trump saying Shiitehole he said shiitehouse. yeah that changes the intent or the underlying sentiment. What a bunch of clowns.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #142
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
now the claim is that instead of Trump saying Shiitehole he said shiitehouse.
Clintonian...
Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #143
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly except with the president inspiring us. Not happening now,didn't used to happen for me. What about you, did a certain president inspire you?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #144
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
now the claim is that instead of Trump saying Shiitehole he said shiitehouse. yeah that changes the intent or the underlying sentiment. What a bunch of clowns.
Does this imply that you don't like shiites?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #145
detbuch

Quote:

The only item in that list of supposed racisms that is more solid rather than innuendo, guilt by association, or outright misrepresentation, is Trump supposedly saying "laziness is a trait in blacks." But I would have to see the full context. And we may have some preconception of a particular trait in a race (many previous anthropologists, such as Margaret Meade, have claimed various traits in tribes or races based on their personal observations that proved out to be too selective or more general in human nature). And while we may comment on one perceived negative trait, we may have other perceptions of that race that are positive. For most of us who have not studied racial characteristics in depth and in a scientific manner, we fall prey to stereotypes. If you believe the stereotype that the Irish are drunkards, it won't necessarily mean that you dislike the Irish or think that they are inferior. If you say that white men can't jump, that doesn't mean you believe white men are inferior. Obviously, even if there were some genetic trait in the Irish to drink in excess, most probably don't. And some white men can jump. And you may just carelessly be latching on to a stereotype.

As for the rest of the article, my opinion is that it is mostly misinformation, and deliberately so. I was particularly amused by one large section presenting the titles of articles in Breitbart as some indication of racism. Really? The title of an article? Correctly reading the articles, as I did with the Milo Yiannopoulos article, doesn't bare out the supposed racism that your article claims to be inherent in their titles. And Breitbart is not Trump, anyway. And assuming guilt by association is deceitful.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-15-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #146
PaulS

Quote:
Does this imply that you don't like shiites?
I don't know too many Shiites.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #147
detbuch

Quote:
statements many find racist . ..?
You mean like a squirrel finding a nut, or finding a stone and calling it a nut?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #148
spence

Quote:
You mean like a squirrel finding a nut, or finding a stone and calling it a nut?
He’ll, even the speaker of the house called a remark of his racist. Whole lot of nuts.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #149
detbuch

Quote:
He’ll, even the speaker of the house called a remark of his racist. Whole lot of nuts.
Can you explain, in your own words (I know you hang on every word of the Speaker and agree with every thing he says--or just when it's convenient), how it is racist?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #150
Jim in CT

Quote:
Can you explain, in your own words (I know you hang on every word of the Speaker and agree with every thing he says--or just when it's convenient), how it is racist?
Because Paul Ryan said so, and Spence always agrees with Paul Ryan.