Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

$200 hammer?

Yes. Stiletto. Titanium.... Local lumber yard says they are selling well... Crazy. I guess if you are framing all day without pneumatic guns....but don't see me spending on that!!!!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
Rmarsh

I have always felt that money spent on quality tools is a good investment in your occupation. You could easily spend that amount going out on the town or to a Red Sox or Patriots game for example.
I wont be buying one, but I dont frame houses anymore, been using Estwing hammers since the early seventies with no problems...hand nailing everything was not uncommon....framing, roofing, trim, siding.

If you have a hammer in your hand all day every day it is probably worth it.
I regret not buying the Festool Tracksaw years ago when I thought the price was waay too high.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
redlite

My boss has one. They are awesome. Well worth it if using it every day
I still use my Estwing
Think about it as the difference between an ugly stick and lami glass rod. They both get the job done but when u r holdin it all nite is where u see and feel the $ spent value difference

I haven't gone with one as I don't like the claw on it as it is short and thick which makes it tough to get in between stuff for prying or nail pullin. They have a wider diameter head face which is nice though.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Back when I was in the field, I always used a 28oz Vaughan for framing, my everything else hammer was a 20oz Estwing.
As the years went by hammers were used less and less, nobody had air tools when I started.
Last time I looked the guys in the field had almost no hand nails and fewer and fewer tools with cords.
Not quite sure they could nail off plywood with a hammer at any speed or drive a nail consistently without leaving moons.
And they have no idea how to reach into their bags and grab the right amount of nails so they can turn them without looking.
So I don't understand why they would need a $200 hammer, though when i looked the Vaughans go for $35-40 now and I think that is what they were 20 years ago.
I know I couldn't swing one all day these days.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
spence

I'm getting one. Been collecting a lot of artwork lately and I've got some hanging to do.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Started out with no guns, used a wooden handle hammer, cloth apron, making up a corner post in place, i misses, head snaps off and flys by the bosses head doing mark 5 by inches .....
estwing next day, still have it (somewhere).

How’s the knee Ross?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Hookedagain

I've never used one but hear good reviews. Like most guys I still swing an Estwing. I did try the goofy looking square head Estwing a bunch of years ago. It was supposed to be better for your elbow but the curve of the handle would cause you to smash your fingers on the framing when you swung it. There was no offset between head and handle.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Started out with no guns, used a wooden handle hammer, cloth apron, making up a corner post in place, i misses, head snaps off and flys by the bosses head doing mark 5 by inches .....
estwing next day, still have it (somewhere).

How’s the knee Ross?
I remember when the first guy got a leather apron, we called it a Snyder belt. There was some show on TV where a guy wore one.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Canvas lumberyard bags, combination squares, 16’ tapes, folding rules, block planes, hand saws, slotted screws, 18” high sawhorses and lion trimmers
Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Canvas lumberyard bags, combination squares, 16’ tapes, folding rules, block planes, hand saws, slotted screws, 18” high sawhorses and lion trimmers

Hey Pete...you forgot spiral ratchet screwdriver....not all those hand tools are outdated.....but the skill of how to use them??....todays version of a carpenter uses a powertool for everything.

There was this father and son electrical contractor that wired a few houses for me.....the Dad insisted that using a bit brace to drill the holes for his wires was no trouble at all!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
Guppy
User

SB’s full of a bunch of old crusty carpenters....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

I forgot about those.
I always used a “scribed” (little compass made by General) and a coping saw for trimming.
Still done?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I forgot about those.
I always used a “scribed” (little compass made by General) and a coping saw for trimming.
Still done?
Yes. Scribing still done with little compass and pencil that is always need of sharpening....

Gup, I still have a Lion cutter. Use it for cutting plastic U shaped trim.
Knee is good. A noticeable difference in past week... Now focused on what I can get done today instead of waking up with what I can't do. So 5 1/2 months to get back to work/functioning again.

Mac has a couple of these hammers and he is a voice I totally respect. So maybe if I hit a scratch ticket I will add it to the tool wish list.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

The Van Stall of hammers.

I saw them years ago and had no interest in a Guchi hammer like that. I have 2 Estwings. I did buy one of those big Red Deadblow hammers and it suits it's purpose.
I still use a canvas lumberyard apron, also a General scribe.

Glad to hear your knee is doing better Ross

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #15
Rmarsh

Quote:
I forgot about those.
Still done?

Still use my dividers on a regular basis for scribing....had these for a few decades now....that block plane is well broken in too. I cherish my old tools that have worn smooth. The little gents saw is new and only used for a specific task.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..