Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Nobel Peace Prize Winner: Obama!

OSLO—President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
OSLO—President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.
It just keeps getting better.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Cool Beans

HUH 2!!!!

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize....

You've got to be sh*tting me!!!! Well, he hasn't really done anything yet, but we feel he has good intentions??????

In a surprise, Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Yahoo! News

Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
scottw

yup, continue to heap praise and glory on a guy that has never done a thing to earn it or deserve it and there's only one way for him to go...DOWN...talk is cheap but it pays off big when you are a lefty I guess...

now we know for sure that the committee is rigged.....

"The award appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage"

given as a result of the "POLITICS OF SPITE"...apparently

Last edited by scottw; 10-09-2009 at 07:58 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
Raven

norway

selling oil
Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
The Peace Prize is given by the Norwegian's not the Sweds which awards all others..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

he ain't done %$%$%$%$ to deserve it. To me this really demeans others who have EARNED it by things they have actually done.

Disappointing.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

What the BLEEP has he done to earn this?

Nothing. Especially since the nominating was over at the beginning of February. TWO WEEKS in office?

From MSNBC:

Quote:
The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.

Speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist.
Before people call me a hater. Before Spence spins this into a "prescient recognition of our dear leader" or something, I want to see Obama do well because if he is doing well, odds are our Country is doing well. But this is ludicrous.

He Has Not EARNED this yet! Not to say some day he won't but he hasn't EARNED it.

Seems to be a common thread with being given something before EARNING it.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Stupid! Just plain stupid!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
PaulS

I think the committee thought he was such a huge step up from the worse Pres. we ever had and maybe that had something to do with it. I agree that the award is puzzling since he was only in office 2 weeks when the nomination closed although the award could obviously take into account actions b/f he was pres. (but i still don't know of anything he could have done b/f he was elected Pres.). It be interesting to hear who the other nominees were.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

for once, I am speechless

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Me too.. even I think this is a bit much....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I think the committee thought he was such a huge step up from the worse Pres. we ever had and maybe that had something to do with it.
Even if true, two wrongs don't make a right

Quote:
I agree that the award is puzzling since he was only in office 2 weeks when the nomination closed although the award could obviously take into account actions b/f he was pres. (but i still don't know of anything he could have done b/f he was elected Pres.).
As I was reminded, the Nobel folks did award the Peace Prize to Arafat in the past, so I suppose Hope is an upgrade

Quote:
It be interesting to hear who the other nominees were.
Speculation was... :"Speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist."

Maybe these folks never accomplished anything either.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Must have been a shortage of worthy candidates!

WHAT HAS HE DONE?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
mekcotuit

Most of you know me as pretty liberal - well, really liberal, but I am shocked at this - and do not understand it. He should decline....as Mickey Klaus wrote:

What Obama Should Do With His Nobel Peace Prize
Turn it down! Politely decline. Say he's honored but he hasn't had the time yet to accomplish what he wants to accomplish. Result: He gets at least the same amount of glory--and helps solve his narcissism problem and his Fred Armisen ('What's he done?') problem, demonstrating that he's uncomfortable with his reputation as a man overcelebrated for his potential long before he's started to realize it. ... Plus he doesn't have to waste time, during a fairly crucial period, working on yet another grand speech. ... And the downside is ... what? That the Nobel Committee feels dissed? ... P.S.: It's not as if Congress is going to think, well, he's won the Nobel Peace Prize so let's pass health care reform. But the possibility for a Nobel backlash seems non-farfetched. .

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
eastendlu

Why the big surprise?We are talking about Norwegian's here Europeans don't think like we do.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
Fly Rod

Quote:
I think the committee thought he was such a huge step up from the worse Pres. we ever had and maybe that had something to do with it. I agree that the award is puzzling since he was only in office 2 weeks when the nomination closed although the award could obviously take into account actions b/f he was pres. (but i still don't know of anything he could have done b/f he was elected Pres.). It be interesting to hear who the other nominees were.
Remember comedy show, "Laugh- In." The above deserves the "Gold Fingkel Finger Award."

Correction
Worst President, peanut farmer, Jimmy Carter

B/F
For what he helped do for the poor at Grove Parc with the help of his associates Valerie Jarrett and Tony Rezko.

A/F
Health Care kicks in 2013 one year after Presidential election. Tax payer to pay 10% of Ajusted Gross Income towards health care Plus the add ons such as copay and you will partial pay for xrays, mri's and the likes. Also Pelosi's (vat) value added tax if passed.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
fishbones

When I first read saw the headline, I said to myself "Must be a typo. It's supposed to say 'Academy Award', not Nobel Peace Prize". Then, I looked at several other sites and saw that it really was the Nobel. The only explanation is that the Norwegians are either playing a joke or they're trying to manipulate the President by playing to his ego. WTF.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #19
scottw

well actually, when you consider some of the other dopes that have won this thing, it might make perfect sense...

winners include:

2009 - Barack Obama

2008 - Martti Ahtisaari

2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore

2006 - Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank

2005 - International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei

2004 - Wangari Maathai

2003 - Shirin Ebadi

2002 - Jimmy Carter

2001 - United Nations, Kofi Annan

2000 - Kim Dae-jung

1999 - Médecins Sans Frontičres

YASSER ARAFAT , Chairman of the Executive Committee of the PLO, President of the Palestinian National Authority
(and prolific terrorist)

MIKHAIL SERGEYEVICH GORBACHEV , President of the USSR, helped to bring the Cold War to an end. (huh?)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #20
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
MIKHAIL SERGEYEVICH GORBACHEV , President of the USSR, helped to bring the Cold War to an end. (huh?)
There was that Glasnost and Perestroika thing that helped bring down the Cold War (a/k/a collapse of Soviet Union). You didn't think they could find it in themselves to give it to Ronnie RayGun, Didcha?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #21
scottw

step right up!!

collapse your country....WIN A PRIZE!

I guess the collapse of America is near....

can anybody say..."second stimulus"

"I want to see Obama do well because if he is doing well, odds are our Country is doing well."

have to disagree with this John, I'm sure that Obama would define "doing well" as successfully implementing his radical agenda, if he's "doing well" by his standards we will be deeply indebted and we will labor under the thumb of a big oppressive government...that would not be "doing well"...

Last edited by scottw; 10-09-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I would like to note that this is the first time in history there is agreement in the political forum, so once again Obama has brought us all together.

Since Spence has not yet replied, it would really make my day if JohnR replied with a "spencism" response.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
a "spencism" response.
Hope he doesn't wear brown shoes with a gray suit when he accepts... of course according to the November issue of Metrosexual Iowan Monthly (Also known as the MIM bible), there is some evidence to support this being a hip new trend...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I guess the collapse of America is near....
Better get out before it happens then Scott....

Bryan

Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

$800 shoes!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
eastendlu

Quote:
I would like to note that this is the first time in history there is agreement in the political forum, so once again Obama has brought us all together.

Since Spence has not yet replied, it would really make my day if JohnR replied with a "spencism" response.
So what you are really saying is that the Norwegians brought us all together cause Obama did not do a thing on this one.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #27
buckman

It's been a slow year for peace. Besides how can he bomb Iran now? He should have turned it down that would have been a smart move. I think he gets some big $$$ too.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I wonder if this will influence the Afghanistan strategy?

Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #29
JohnR

Quote:
No Spencisms today. My brain hurts

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I think he gets some big $$$ too.

$1.4 Million....thats some serious cabbage

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."