Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Jim in CT

US attorney investigating origins of Trump/Russia probe

The US attorney from CT, John Durham, who has a long history of effectively uncovering corruption within both the FBI and the CIA, has been assigned the task of looking into the origins of the Trump/Russia hoax.

This is the guy who broke the story of corruption in the FBI's Boston office during Whitey Bulger's time there. Interesting note, the US attorney in Boston at the time, who did nothing to look into that corruption (which is why Durham had to be brought in), was Robert Mueller. One thing Durham did, was exonerate 4 innocent men who had been wrongly imprisoned for murder, while US attorney Mueller had argued they should stay in jail. Two died in prison before they were exonerated, the other two were released and won a $100 million civil suit against the state.

But I digress. I wish US attorney Durham the best of luck. One question I'd like answered. Apparently one of the FISA applications the FBI filed against Carter Page, listed the Steele dossier as justification for the wiretaps, and the FBI also listed a Yahoo news article as confirmation of what was in the Steele dossier. The problem is, the Yahoo article was attributed to Steele, Steele freely admits this. That's some rigorous verification! Why did the FBI do this, and who did it?

Let's have at it.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

One question I'd like answered. Apparently one of the FISA applications the FBI filed against Carter Page, listed the Steele dossier as justification for the wiretaps, and the FBI also listed a Yahoo news article as confirmation of what was in the Steele dossier. The problem is, the Yahoo article was attributed to Steele, Steele freely admits this. That's some rigorous verification! Why did the FBI do this, and who did it?

Let's have at it.
FISA is used for intelligence gathering operations, not typically criminal investigations. If criminal charges are brought they typically try and obscure the FISA investigation for security reasons.
Carter Page's FISA was approved and then re-approved every 90 days as Page's was three times. Each time reasonable evidence needs to be given for why the investigation should be continued. The application grew from 66 pages to 101 pages, since much of it is redacted we can only assume that reasons were found to continue the investigation.
Thinking that every intelligence investigation has to or does find a problem is simplistic at best, and at worst would make it impossible to investigate much at all.
This was not the first time Carter Page was the subject of a FISA investigation, I would assume that he was involved in some activities that were possibly dangerous to the security of the USA. Perhaps some feel that we should not conduct any investigations till after the fact. Pretty hard to prevent things that way.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
FISA is used for intelligence gathering operations, not typically criminal investigations. If criminal charges are brought they typically try and obscure the FISA investigation for security reasons.
Carter Page's FISA was approved and then re-approved every 90 days as Page's was three times. Each time reasonable evidence needs to be given for why the investigation should be continued. The application grew from 66 pages to 101 pages, since much of it is redacted we can only assume that reasons were found to continue the investigation.
Thinking that every intelligence investigation has to or does find a problem is simplistic at best, and at worst would make it impossible to investigate much at all.
This was not the first time Carter Page was the subject of a FISA investigation, I would assume that he was involved in some activities that were possibly dangerous to the security of the USA. Perhaps some feel that we should not conduct any investigations till after the fact. Pretty hard to prevent things that way.
"Thinking that every intelligence investigation has to or does find a problem is simplistic at best"

That would be simplistic. Who said that, exactly? Not me.

What if, and this is a big if, but what it DOJ and FBI officials fudged the justification of investigating Page and Trump, for political reasons? If that happened (a very, very big if), would that bother you?

I wanted a thorough investigation into Trump/Russia collusion. We had one.

Now, let's have an investigation to see if the DOJ/FBI officials acted like Hilary campaign staffers, rather than acting like DOJ/FBI officials are supposed to act.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Distraction 101 from the Trump white house, not a surprise to me this has started, especially based on what Barr has done; but I don't have a problem with it either. Yet others here and in the white house have a problem with any ongoing investigations and to buy into the GOP position the Mueller probe vindicated all wrong doing is a partisan view to say the least. Clearly that probe pointed out numerous bad acts by bad actors and yet the white house is ignoring the legal power we the people gave the congress of this USA.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Thinking that every intelligence investigation has to or does find a problem is simplistic at best"

That would be simplistic. Who said that, exactly? Not me.

What if, and this is a big if, but what it DOJ and FBI officials fudged the justification of investigating Page and Trump, for political reasons? If that happened (a very, very big if), would that bother you?

I wanted a thorough investigation into Trump/Russia collusion. We had one. Have you read it?

Now, let's have an investigation to see if the DOJ/FBI officials acted like Hilary campaign staffers, rather than acting like DOJ/FBI officials are supposed to act.
Here is the "One question I'd like answered. Apparently one of the FISA applications the FBI filed against Carter Page, listed the Steele dossier as justification for the wiretaps, and the FBI also listed a Yahoo news article as confirmation of what was in the Steele dossier. The problem is, the Yahoo article was attributed to Steele, Steele freely admits this. That's some rigorous verification! Why did the FBI do this, and who did it?"
Do you see Trump in your question or my answer?
It's always about Trump with you.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin