Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
gtillen

W. Coast stripers with E. coast techniques?

I live in Southern California near Silverwood Lake which is well known for MONSTER stripers.
I am curious as to your opinions about catching these big lake stripers that have gotten into the lake by way of the California Aquaduct that brings water from the Sacramento River Delta in Northern CA.

1) Will E. Coast Techniques and lures used in the ocean be effective?

2) As an E. Coast fisherman--What would you try in a W. Coast lake?

3) Whats your best tip or trick regarding Stripers?
gtillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Raven

hey WEST coaster

checkout Bigfish larry's new trout plug
that would be killer in silverwood lake

and welcome to S-B

http://striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/...950#post688950
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Joe

Bass, fresh or salt, ocean run, or land-locked, remain ambush predators. Presenting to the down current side of a major point is always a good play.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

GTillen - welcome to S-B

I was out there 10+ years ago and from what I saw when I was fishing the Sac River I'd say a lot of the small shads like storms and such would be good for the smaller fish (lots of smaller shad out there like the threadfin shad).

I'd really like to ships some live Eels out there , maybe some big swimmers for some of the calmer waters.

For the Sacramento River, depending on how much junk is on the bottom (its weird fishing and watching a 100+ foot tree sweep down the river in front of you) I'd recommend some big bucktails, maybe in a large shrimp pattern...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Welcome to S-B -

Maybe Bernzy will see this and chime in - he lives in Indianapolis now and targets freshwater stripers in the lakes out there in Indiana - and bags fish that would make a saltwater fisherman proud using the same plugs that we use in the salt.

Hoosier FW stripers are feeding on shad, bluegills and crappie there and I assume they're on the same forage on the left coast - I've talked to Bernzy about it since my brother-in-law lives an hour away from him and he's told me all the traditional SW stuff works - like Storm or Tsunami shads, Redfins, and any of the good wood from guys like Bernzy himself - whose plugs are hard to come by now......or BigFish Larry would be killer for ya - if you get a chance to find any of Bernzy's Commanders, Bernsters or Surf Howdies, grab 'em - likewise for Larry's Prey or Blitzseekers

As a matter of fact, I'm waiting for some bunker Blitzseekers myself...

Anyway, good luck - let us know how you make out

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote