Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
spence

Biden as VP

Got to admit this was a stong move by the Obama campaign. Biden brings a lot to the team and Obama has a strong enough personality that he won't be dwarfed by Biden's own huge presence.

A challenge for me as a love Joe Biden but don't see myself voting for Obama.

So who does McCain pick? I'm thinking Romney...he needs someone that moderates can warm up to, has business experience and is known on the national stage.

-spence
Old 08-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
basswipe

I've always found Biden to be nothing but a loudmouth talking head.I would've liked Obama to pick Reed,his military experience and backround go a long way with me.

I can see McCain going with Lieberman.That would be a good balance I think.But you're right about Romney.

It just sucks that there's no real viable ticket as far as I'm concerned.I don't like the idea of abstaining,but if I were forced to choose I think it would have to be McCain(Lieberman).

The next 4 years are certainly going to be a trip regardless of who's in office.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Condi Rice would be the perfect choice although she probably isn't even a thought.

Make America Great Again.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I've always found Biden to be nothing but a loudmouth talking head.
He certainly has a big mouth, but if you listen to what he says it's clear he's one of the brightest in Congress and has a very good grasp of our foreign challenges.

I'll take substance over personality here.

Besides, he's always very well dressed

-spence
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Nebe

Bringing a very experienced person from an area where many say Obama is lacking is smart... Good move Obama..
Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Joe

Cheney is not relinquishing power.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I think the visceral reaction to Obama among some of the Right is so violent I could see people going to any means to keep him from office. This could get ugly...

-spence
Old 08-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Nebe

Quote:
Perhaps a few orange alerts followed by a state of emergency will help him stay in power longer....
Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Joe

We're about due for a not-so-smooth transition of power. What's one more flaunt of the Constitution anyway?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
stripersnipr

Plagiarist, bigot.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 08-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Nebe

God I love Biden..

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...eurl=http%3A//
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
striperman36
Old Guy

I just can't get that Clarence Thomas hearing with Biden and Kennedy pissing at each other out of my head.
Biden is, well, not my choice for change.
I really wonder how many of Obama's ideas he is ready to champion thru the Senate and Congress
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
buckman

I agree I think Biden was the best choice out of the bunch..... God, that's pathetic.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Plagiarist, bigot.
You are a deep, deep thinker.

-spence
Old 08-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I agree Biden is the best choice, especially with the international experience. There is no way in hell McCain can choose Liberman, he is already someone that does not unify his base, choosing a Dem will have 50% of the repub party staying home on election day.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You are a deep, deep thinker.

-spence
Don't take it the wrong way Einstein, I'm very pleased with his VP choice.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 08-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I agree Biden is the best choice, especially with the international experience. There is no way in hell McCain can choose Liberman, he is already someone that does not unify his base, choosing a Dem will have 50% of the repub party staying home on election day.
I am thinking a Polaroid Moment with Mitt!!
Polaroid out of the film business, we'll have to miss that hopefully.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
Joe

I got a feeling something is going to happen to prevent Obama from becoming president - and not losing the election. He's got that Bobby Kennedy/Benazir Bhutto thing going on where it looks a little too much like he might actually try and change things.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
Raven

Arrow

so your saying JB will eventually be promoted to President...

because of some KKK guy that was hidden behind a grassy knoll

that wouldn't be so hard to imagine..... i guess

but it would make the Rodney king riots in L.A. seem like
a game of Senoir Citizen BINGO ....gone spastic...

the best thing that could happen imho would be to see
Bill Richardson
appointed to secretary of State to handle foreign affairs

and if JM gets elected...

Mitt Romey would be the greatest financial politician ever appointed
to office ...if he were able to take control the USA Budget

Last edited by Raven; 08-24-2008 at 07:26 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
Joe

I think he'll either get shot before he takes office or some national emergency will postpone the appointment of a new president. I got a bad feeling watching him yesterday at that outdoor rally with Biden - could have easily been shot. There's still a lot of hardcore racists.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I got a feeling something is going to happen to prevent Obama from becoming president - and not losing the election. He's got that Bobby Kennedy/Benazir Bhutto thing going on where it looks a little too much like he might actually try and change things.

yeah, he'll change things all right.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #22
Nebe

High powered rifle sales are through the roof
Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #23
Joe

He gets my vote as the canidate most likely to get shot. He's an assassination out of central casting.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #24
Raven

Quote:
now he's laughin it up with teddy ....so it's a weird time is right on the money Joe.. that feeling you have.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I've always found Biden to be nothing but a loudmouth talking head.I would've liked Obama to pick Reed,his military experience and backround go a long way with me.

I can see McCain going with Lieberman.That would be a good balance I think.But you're right about Romney.

It just sucks that there's no real viable ticket as far as I'm concerned.I don't like the idea of abstaining,but if I were forced to choose I think it would have to be McCain(Lieberman).

The next 4 years are certainly going to be a trip regardless of who's in office.
Yeah, I love how Biden gets pegged as a hot head who speaks his mind good or bad... isn't that supposed to be one of McCain's selling points (speaking his mind)?

McCain Romney seems the most logical. If he picks Lieberman or Ridge (centrist R or independents) he'll lost his base on the far right.. he needs a 'true conservative'
regardless, we'll have 4 more years of what we have now if Bushcain gets elected...

As far as Biden being a bigot and a plagariest. Everyone has skeletons... Didn't McCain just use the term gook to reporters???

Joe;
It's a shame that is even a thought in this day and age, that we haven't moved beyond that kind of BS.

I hope you are wrong.

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 08-25-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #26
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Yeah, I love how Biden gets pegged as a hot head who speaks his mind good or bad... isn't that supposed to be one of McCain's selling points (speaking his mind)?

McCain Romney seems the most logical. If he picks Lieberman or Ridge (centrist R or independents) he'll lost his base on the far right.. he needs a 'true conservative'
regardless, we'll have 4 more years of what we have now if Bushcain gets elected...

As far as Biden being a bigot and a plagariest. Everyone has skeletons... Didn't McCain just use the term gook to reporters???

Joe;
It's a shame that is even a thought in this day and age, that we haven't moved beyond that kind of BS.

I hope you are wrong.

Saying that we will have more of the same "Bushcain" is BS. It's like saying we will have another Kennedy/Pelousi if Obama gets in. I wish you Bush haters would grow the F up. Most of you do't even know why you hate him.You just think because this site seems to have a fair share of libs it's cool to say it. Not saying that's why you say it, just getting tired of the lack of respect. Most of us couldn't sit in the meetings and deal with the day to day stress and decisions that the President makes. Most of us don't work as hard as he does. Most of you intellects couldn't hold your own in a debate with the man. And non of you have the life accomplishments that he has. Don't say that he got it handed to him, that's BS too. Think Kennedy again.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Yeah, we are all mindless bush haters because it is cool.
Bush and McCain are very similar on most issues, so to think we won't have a very similar administration is silly. I respect McCain as a person and soldier. period. I happen to disagree with most of his policies, so I can't vote for him.

Do I respect the job? yes. Do I respect bush? Not nearly as much as most others who have held that post in my lifetime. I never have claimed to think I could do the job. period. I don't think anyone else here has.

I don't respect the policies, and position Bush has put the country in, and frankly I think that regardless of who is elected the Bush administration is leaving the next team a pretty big pile of problems.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

one thing to add, Romney is an extremely succesful business man and strategist. As the economy is a top issue, he is really the only person that has an edge on this. Obama, McCain, Biden, are lawyers and career politicians. Romney was self made and is a squeaky clean family man. I think in the VP debates he would destoy Biden.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #29
Flaptail

Smile

What experience does Romney bring to the Republican ticket? Other than using the Big Dig fiasco when the roof collapsed on that poor woman, has he any international/national security background? No. The only reason Lieberman is a consideration is that he favors strongly the war in Iraq and Afghanistan because of personal issues, he is jewish and Israel and it's security is more important a factor in his way of thinking than most will admit. Other than that what has he got to offer?

I think Biden was the only choice the DNC would agree too support for some of the reasons noted before in this thread, yeah he speaks his mind and sometimes puts his foot in it, tell me someone who hasn't done that before. I think his being the National Security chairman in the senate gives credibility to Obama's ticket and Obama will listen to advice Biden gives on issues of that nature, this naturally strengthens the party's chances. Don't forget Biden's Pennsylvania roots and Delaware residency, states Obama needs to win to win it all.

And lastly, sadly, the DNC knows that there is a very real possibility that some racist kook might just take a shot at Obama and may very well succeed. Obama is going to need an Obama Mobile like the Pope has, sad but true as it is. If that happens, and hopefully never will, the chaos created when an American President is cut down is looked on as a huge advantage for those willing to sieze the moment and further promote chaos, like say.....AlQaida, the Taliban, The Russians, the Chinese, Hugo Chaves in Venezuela and a bunch of other bananas in that bunch. If Biden were called upon to take the oath of office in a sad hour as that at least he would be ahead on the international learning curve.

Could you see Romney in a position such as that? Now that is a scary thought.

Why even try.........
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Flap, I couldnt disagree more. I beleieve that successful business people know way more about politics and diplomacy. Very few politicians have one on one negotiations and are held directly accountable for producing results.

I can take your argument and RIRock against you - What experience has Obama had in international? And,,if Biden is so experienced, why arent you holding him accountable for the current state? ( I know, I know, its all Bush's fault)