Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #31
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I don't know a single person under 50 years old that attends church even 2x/month.
guess it depends on who you know...
you're still an idiot...but I'll pray for you anyway
Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #32
buckman

Quote:
Lack of evolving(no pun intended) with the times. Society's mentality and science have changed the way people think. Church attendance is down significantly. Last study I saw showed fewer than half self-proclaimed Catholics had been to church recently. I don't know a single person under 50 years old that attends church even 2x/month.

Churches aren't struggling for money solely because of the diddling priests.

I agree with some of this but I know alot of people under 50 that attend. One good sign..drive by St Mary's on CCD class nights. It's a traffic jamb
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #33
buckman

Quote:
You tell me... Democrats want to save every air-breathing person. Republicans want to hold people accountable for their own actions.

Aside from those that commit crimes (legal and ethical), I'm not much for killing people. I'm for holding people accountable for their actions and if that means they die due to the decisions they've made, so be it.
Nice. I was thinking of something a little before your time.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #34
Raven

Thumbs down Biden

shoots a long bow like a girl
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #35
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
shoots a long bow like a girl
Better to shoot like a girl than to shoot a person while hunting.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
While I do find you of all people calling someone an idiot amusing, I'll admit when I'm wrong - shouldn't have assumed parishes closing meant membership was down. Doing some digging: "The Roman Catholic Church continues to see its membership increase in the U.S., while most Protestant churches are shrinking, according to an annual report by the National Council of Churches."
Catholic church growing, Baptist and mainline Protestant numbers decline | Believe It or Not | a Chron.com blog

I guess the whole diddling little kids thing must be the reason for the financial issues then.
Johnny, the goal of the Catholic church in this country is not to maximize membership at the expense of our beliefs.

There are plenty of religions out there that change with the times, in order to attract as many people as they can on that given Sunday. Catholics have taken a different approach. If our numbers drop, fine. Better to have a small number of genuine Catholics than a large congregation that believes in nothing.

If you don't know anyone who goes to mass, I believe you. Somehow, the catholic church will try to soldier on without you and your circle...

"I guess the whole diddling little kids thing must be the reason for the financial issues then"

That statement says a lot more baout you than it does about my church...