Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
tomytuna

thinking of buying a go pro to be permently mounted on rooftop to cover cockpit. heard that they were comming out with one that has a remote push to start. Anyone know? also any recommendations on where to buy? tks..
tomytuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Mr. Sandman

A $6.95 tripod mount installed on a busted St. Croix rod. Using it as a pole for end game underwater shots as well as cockpit cam shots from up high...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	52532   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	52533  
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
A $6.95 tripod mount installed on a busted St. Croix rod. Using it as a pole for end game underwater shots as well as cockpit cam shots from up high...
Jim,

Thanks for the great idea! I had an old Penn pole lying around that should work much better as a monopod than a fishing pole and already had the tripod mount.

I bought 3" 1/4 20 bolt to use as studs. I ground the bottom ~1/2" into a squarish shape to help against turning within the epoxy (over engineering?). I cut the pole just above a wrapped guide to provide extra support from splitting. Drilled the hole with a hand held drill, filled with epoxy and screwed in the stud using the tripod mount. I tried to line up the mount with the reel guides so as I know which general direction the camera will be pointed while submerged. The finished length is about 5 1/2ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoProd pole stud.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	52570   Click image for larger version

Name:	GoProd pole mount.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	52571   Click image for larger version

Name:	GoProd tripod mount.jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	52572  

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomytuna View Post
thinking of buying a go pro to be permently mounted on rooftop to cover cockpit. heard that they were comming out with one that has a remote push to start. Anyone know? also any recommendations on where to buy? tks..

That is mainly what I use it for (cockpit cam) You can install a semi-perm mount just about anyplace and remove the camera and leave the mount fairly quickly.

You can get them from their website, amazon, ebay etc....

The remote is out and works. WHat does not work is the wireless streaming. It should be soon though. You will be able to stream live video wireless to cell phone, ipad, etc. (I dount it will work underwater though.... , now that would be cool!)
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 07-06-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote