Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #241
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Here is a site, admittedly antigun, but it has a list of school shootings since Newtown. Look at the categories and see how many are Gun fired unintentionally with injury or death resulting.
It might make you think about having more guns in schools
https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/
Which is why I like the idea of putting trained, professional soldiers in the schools, not yahoos.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #242
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Which is why I like the idea of putting trained, professional soldiers in the schools, not yahoos.
yeah....whenever I see one of these teachers doing the..."I'm an educator and Trump wants me to carry a weapon and I can't afford paste and crayons for my kids to eat"....I'm thinking....yeah, I don't think he had you in mind...
Old 02-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #243
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yeah....whenever I see one of these teachers doing the..."I'm an educator and Trump wants me to carry a weapon and I can't afford paste and crayons for my kids to eat"....I'm thinking....yeah, I don't think he had you in mind...
No I don't think he had all that many of them in mind...

Well in West Virginia they figured out a solution to school shootings, the teachers are all on strike for 3 consecutive days, forcing every school (I think) in the state to close.

Because it's "all about the children". I bet the teachers are genuinely concerned that their students have insufficient pensions.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #244
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Are there any Republican action or words or in this case threats that you dont support ? heres a site so you'll love

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...es_to_boycott/

ORGANIZATIONS TO BOYCOTT:
Pepsico

MACY'S

Amazon - owned by Jeff Bezos

The NFL - this is a big one but has been requested multiple times. Any opposition?

GrubHub (CEO is a total cuck) and their subsidiary, Seamless

OREOS (moved production to Mexico)

CARRIER Air Conditioning (moved production to Mexico)

Moz

Dreamworks

Netflix - spreads propaganda for Al Qaeda

Lifeway Foods - CEO Julie Smolyansky trashed President Trump.

PacketSled *

ConAgra - they're closing up and moving to MEXICO

Comet Ping Pong, Besta Pizza, Terasol, Politics and Prose and Beyond Borders - see r/pizzagate

Required mention: social media such as Facebook, Google, Twitter, Imgur, YouTube - all censored pro-Trump stuff. If you use these to post pro-Trump stuff, weigh the benefits. Trump did use SM to win the election.

Disney - they're cucked and many are clamoring for them to be added.

Ben & Jerry's for supporting BLM

Starbucks (by popular demand)

Dell

Love that Info wars is on they support them section
really don't give a chit, Boycotts are stupid.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #245
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
67 of these were Gun fired no one injured, yet they classify this as a school shooting. No Bias on this website.

some were people with no affiliation to the schools.

and a large number were students who brought guns in from home.

don't see where this has much of a bearing on allowing legally licensed employees the right to carry.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #246
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman
I think you aren't seeing a business treating people differently based on what they believe

[QUOTE:zimmy]
No, they are treating them the same, just not special treatment. The analogy would be if Delta refused to sell NRA members plane tickets.[QUOTE]

The bakery was treating the gays the same, just not special treatment. They served their wares to everybody, including gays. Their wares did not include goods intended for any use which did not accord with their religion.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #247
Pete F.
Canceled

If you read this and can figure out where in the current police scenario depicted herein a teacher with a gun fits in and can feel safe, feel free to explain it to me.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...o-kill/305313/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #248
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you read this and can figure out where in the current police scenario depicted herein a teacher with a gun fits in and can feel safe, feel free to explain it to me.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...o-kill/305313/
Simple, they don't.

A teacher shouldn't be cruising the halls looking for an active shooter.

Students/teacher shelter in place (classroom), lock doors til threat is over. Teacher armed, with focus on door of classroom. 26 people in room, better chance of 26 people leaving at the end of the day.

Not a fan of this fleeing mentality, just leads to chaos that the shooter can take advantage of.

This would also rely on the Deputies entering the school to track down the shooter instead of waiting outside for the fairy god mother to help.

Now if the Active shooter finds them, at least they have option to defend themselves.

Everybody is under this impression that the teachers are going to be some rogue SWAT team for the school.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #249
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
67 of these were Gun fired no one injured, yet they classify this as a school shooting. No Bias on this website.

some were people with no affiliation to the schools.

and a large number were students who brought guns in from home.

don't see where this has much of a bearing on allowing legally licensed employees the right to carry.
"67 of these were Gun fired no one injured, yet they classify this as a school shooting. No Bias on this website.
"

There are a lot of zealots on both sides, and they can be shameless in the way they mislead people, can't they?

TDF, sometimes I have absolutely no idea what unites us anymore. None. When a country can't agree on who should pee in the mens room and who can pee in the ladies' room, maybe we are becoming too stupid to survive.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #250
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Now please tell me why this

Quote:
When the towers fell on 911 we immediately changed airline security guidelines. Armed Marshalls, armed pilots, Metal detectors at every entrance, Steel doors on the cockpits

We didn't tell people they couldn't buy box cutters, we shored up security everywhere that could be a weakness.

A bunch of kids get killed and the gut reaction is to outlaw the "Box Cutters". Why wouldn't we put Armed Guards in the schools, Allow teachers to carry, metal detectors at the entrances to the school and secure doors on the classrooms. We need to change security procedures to ensure their safety.
Coupled with this

Quote:
Simple, they don't.

A teacher shouldn't be cruising the halls looking for an active shooter.

Students/teacher shelter in place (classroom), lock doors til threat is over. Teacher armed, with focus on door of classroom. 26 people in room, better chance of 26 people leaving at the end of the day.

Not a fan of this fleeing mentality, just leads to chaos that the shooter can take advantage of.

This would also rely on the Deputies entering the school to track down the shooter instead of waiting outside for the fairy god mother to help.

Now if the Active shooter finds them, at least they have option to defend themselves.

Everybody is under this impression that the teachers are going to be some rogue SWAT team for the school.
is not a better plan than banning an inanimate object.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #251
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
TDF, sometimes I have absolutely no idea what unites us anymore. None. When a country can't agree on who should pee in the mens room and who can pee in the ladies' room, maybe we are becoming too stupid to survive.
Darwinism doesn't play favorites

Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #252
Jim in CT

Quote:
Darwinism doesn't play favorites
It surely does not.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #253
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I think 26 would be better since that's the age that they're consider adults now thanks to Obamacare....
And 26 for Assault Jammies too

Quote:
Here is a site, admittedly antigun, but it has a list of school shootings since Newtown. Look at the categories and see how many are Gun fired unintentionally with injury or death resulting.
It might make you think about having more guns in schools
https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/
As mentioned previously, the included many things that could hardly be called "school shootings". Problem is, with this loose and biased representation of facts, for a week now we have been hearing "18 shootings" parroted all about the media. This EveryTown advocacy organization is using SEO, hard marketing, and paid placement in order to propagandize AgitProp the debate.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #254
zimmy

Quote:
"
You've said in previous posts you are a simple guy. Maybe it is that issues tend to be more complicated and nuanced than you want them to be. It isn't that we are becoming too stupid to survive, it is that over time, we as a society have a better understanding of the complexities of biology, genetics, gender, psychology, that things aren't as simple as they were made to be. More than half of the country (if you wanna believe polls) oppose laws requiring transgender people to use the bathroom of sex identified at birth. That shows progress in empathy and understanding of a complicated issue.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #255
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
You've said in previous posts you are a simple guy. Maybe it is that issues tend to be more complicated and nuanced than you want them to be. It isn't that we are becoming too stupid to survive, it is that over time, we as a society have a better understanding of the complexities of biology, genetics, gender, psychology, that things aren't as simple as they were made to be. More than half of the country (if you wanna believe polls) oppose laws requiring transgender people to use the bathroom of sex identified at birth. That shows progress in empathy and understanding of a complicated issue.
Well said Zim. As an aside, Jim, saw my accountant today and my taxes are going UP for 2018. That plus what the tax plan has done to interest rates is costing me dearly on my mortgage refi. Thanks Trump and the GOP.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #256
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well said Zim. As an aside, Jim, saw my accountant today and my taxes are going UP for 2018. That plus what the tax plan has done to interest rates is costing me dearly on my mortgage refi. Thanks Trump and the GOP.
That is awful for you, but puts you in a small minority.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #257
Jim in CT

Quote:
Too bad our progress in empathy doesn't extend to Christians who just want to be left alone to practice their faith.

Some things actually are pretty simple.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #258
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Get a new accountant and congrats on the raise! Get 15 years and you will make out great.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #259
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Yet the country takes something simple and makes it complicated. Time and money wasted so a high school girl who is taking hormones to become a boy can wrestle other girls who don't want to wrestle him/her. That's progress we can be proud of.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #260
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think there might be a bar in Boston that caters to people who expected their Insurance premiums to go down under Obamacare, but didn't. You should check it out, maybe you can commiserate with them.

I think Tuesday night is 1/2 price well drinks for those who didn't get to keep their doctor.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #261
scottw

Quote:
I think there might be a bar in Boston that caters to people who expected their Insurance premiums to go down under Obamacare, but didn't. You should check it out, maybe you can commiserate with them.

I think Tuesday night is 1/2 price well drinks for those who didn't get to keep their doctor.
I'm glad to see that the wealthy elites(Spence) are paying their fair share
Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #262
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Get a new accountant and congrats on the raise! Get 15 years and you will make out great.
Has nothing to do with my accountant, just the new rules don't work with my personal situation as well as the old ones.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #263
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Has nothing to do with my accountant, just the new rules don't work with my personal situation as well as the old ones.

Can't deduct all your mortgage interest, eh?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #264
Sea Dangles

Quote:
It has everything to do with your accountant just ask Trump.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #265
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Can't deduct all your mortgage interest, eh?
Haha, that I still can...
Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #266
Jim in CT

Quote:
Because of the cap on state/local taxes? That hurts me too, but the expanded childcare tax credits more than offset that for me, I have 3 kids...

What else would be dinging you? Did you get a raise and you are blaming the tax hike on Trump??
Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #267
PaulS

I expect to pay more for 2018. I have no kids, and no mortgage. I pay well over $10K in property taxes (as do most my friends in town). I noticed a slight increase in take home pay but don't think it will offset the cap on state tax deduction.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #268
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I expect to pay more for 2018. I have no kids, and no mortgage. I pay well over $10K in property taxes (as do most my friends in town). I noticed a slight increase in take home pay but don't think it will offset the cap on state tax deduction.
You live in CT, Paul? Very, very easy to go way over 10k in total state/local taxes (unless you don't own a home) and the only way to offset that is the child credits...
Old 02-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #269
Nebe

News flash. Georgia teacher barricades himself. In empty class room and discharges his weapon. Authorities are detaining him.

Guns are the solution to all of our problems !
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #270
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

News Flash, over 3,000,000 American owned AR-15 style rifles weren't fired at people today.