Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
goosefish

Oak Bluffs shark moving to Newport

Not sure what I think of this.

Oak Bluffs Monster Shark is moving to Newport next summer.

Could be a real sh*t show. Could also be a cash cow for the state, bring in some revenue.

goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
buckman

Should be fun . I stayed in Newport for the Snug Harbor tournament once. It was great.
It will
Be alot easier for the families to come down at weigh in and join the fun.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
MakoMike

Where in Newport?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Rip Runner

All I know is that it is going to be at a big private marina for all festivities and that Newport unlike some at OB are welcoming the tournament.

Newport changes the game for me, since I am now only a 15-20 minute run to Oak Bluffs.

Rip Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Rip Runner

anyone ever hear of Trolling gear custom rods?

I am trying to contact them if anyone has any information. The writing on the stand-up rod is "custom design by Trolling Gear"

thanks!

Rip Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Runner View Post
All I know is that it is going to be at a big private marina for all festivities and that Newport unlike some at OB are welcoming the tournament.

Newport changes the game for me, since I am now only a 15-20 minute run to Oak Bluffs.
Only business people wanted the tourney there, very few residents. I told a guy who fished this from East Bridgewater, Mass. last spring this year was the last year and he swore I was full of you know what. Haven't seen him in awhile to see if he will be motoring to Newport,R.I.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

Hmmm.

http://www.mvtimes.com/2014/01/28/mo...in-oak-bluffs/
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
buckman

It appears Mr Kriedel is trying to take over something that isn't his . ( car salesman , go figure)
Pretty piss poor .
I'm hoping it continues with the people Steve had for many years to come .
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Classless. Kriedel is just looking to capitalize on a deceased man's hard work.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
jasonsnova

Not sure what that guys is gonna be able to do....town of OB voted all future shark tournaments are catch and release only from what I read it was the driving reason to move it to newport.
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
niko

if you read the comments below the article the guy seems pretty reasonable. steves tourney was headed to Newport and this guy wants to run a slightly different one

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
taJon

The tournament is still on just in Newport now. Here is the email I received.

Good Morning Monster Shark® Tournament Participant!

Monster Shark® Tournament

In Memory of Steve James

WILL be held in

Newport, Rhode Island

July 17th – 19th, 2014

As we are sure you have become aware, Steve James, owner and organizer of the Monster Shark® Tournament, tragically passed during a duck hunting accident on January 7th. We are very saddened by his loss and will miss him dearly.

We, his family, have been contacted by many participants of the Monster Shark® Tournament requesting that the tournament go on. So after careful consideration and asking ourselves “what would Steve want us to do?” Steve’s Mother, Doreen James, who is now the owner of Steve’s corporation, has decided that the tournament WILL live on in his memory. Steve worked extremely hard to build the tournament to where it is now; it would be a shame for his legacy to be forgotten. As long as there are great fishermen like yourself who are willing to participate in years to come, we plan on keeping the tournament alive.

Steve had already begun to make arrangements and commitments to change the venue of the tournament to Newport, Rhode Island. We are going to continue with his plans. It is a wonderful venue and the community seems very receptive to having us there.

Rest assured, we plan on running the tournament as Steve did ~ All the same rules and programs. However, this year will be a Memorial Tournament in Steve’s Name.

This year and every year going forward….

· 5% of the Added Entry Division money will be donated in Steve’s name to a College Scholarship Fund related to marine biology or fisheries. The other 95% will stay as it is and be paid out to the winners.

· Raffle tickets will be sold as Steve did in the past . The proceeds to be donated to the Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association. As President of the association, it was very near and dear to him.

· A donation to a charity for children (for example the Jimmy Fund or St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital) will be made in Steve’s name. The amount and beneficiary will be decided by Steve’s Mother, Doreen.

We wholeheartedly acknowledge that without great fishermen like yourself there would not be a tournament. We strive to honor Steve’s legacy by making the tournament as great as possible. We highly welcome any suggestions you may have. If you see we have missed a fisherman on our distribution list, please pass this this on. It would be a shame to leave anyone out.

You will receive another email shortly including Registration Forms and further details of the tournament. The Boston Big Game Fishing Club website (www.bbgfc.com) will be updated within a few weeks with links to the registration forms as well.

Should you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us anytime. We look forward to seeing you all in Newport!

Sincerely,

Doreen James (Steve’s Mother)

Lloyd James (Steve’s Uncle)

Debbie James (Steve’s Aunt)

86 Corlear Drive

Willsboro, NY 12996

518-963-7536 (Lloyd & Debbie Home)

518-572-3465 (Lloyd cell)

518-222-0030 (Debbie cell)

Email: bostonbiggame@hotmail.com

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Mr. Sandman

He withdrew his application from the town. At the same time he was competing against another tourney for offshore specie (Tuna, mahi, sword,etc) (no sharks) this was approved and looks to move ahead.

http://www.mvtimes.com/2014/02/12/oa...ament-in-town/
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote