Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
buckman

Speech?

Alot of BS.

He's a televangelist

Obama attacked the Court , and the camera caught Alito mouthing "not true" as Obama blasted their decision....being called out for being a lier twice now. I was reminded of the old Saddam vidio when he was giving a speach and he called out those that oppose him.
Scary moment in the speach and very telling. Obama clearly does not respect anyone but Himself.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

A well delivered mish mosh of ideas that at times contradict each other. Still playing the blame game. Offered very little solutions. I do like that he put pressure on the repubs - that they need to govern and not just "no" things.
Threw the supreme court and the media under the bus. My biggest disappointment was the wars - he gave Iraq and Afghanistan about 2 minutes of attention in his speech. Pretty lame.
Pelosi acted like a dumb cheerleader - every time the House was mentioned it was like "wheeeee!!!"

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
saltfly

Tax cuts to 95% of americans? i guess I'm in the 5%.Green Jobs,Green Jobs,Green Jobs.... Then Drill ,Drill,Drill, Nukes.HMMMMM??
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Nebe

You 3 are so predictable
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
scottw

it was like a dishonest 6 year old blathering while watching a tennis match....from center court

hey, why is Obama always sniffing the air?...either he is incredibly arrogant or he was checking to see if the chamber smells any better since Teddy departed....

Last edited by scottw; 01-28-2010 at 10:03 AM..
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You 3 are so predictable
and your thoughts on the speech are?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Alot of BS.

He's a televangelist

telemarxist

arrogantly and angrily lecturing everyone in the room and the country is a great tactic
Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
JohnnyD

You guys are funny.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
fishbones

I missed the speech last night. On the bright side, I did get to see some of the worst karaoke ever sung in the history of the world. Probably not much of a difference I guess.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I'd really like to hear from people who had a positive impression of the speech?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I'd really like to hear from people who had a positive impression of the speech?
crickets....

Nancy Pelosi seemed to like it...either that or there was something sharp in the cushion of her chair.....
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You 3 are so predictable
Thank You.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Didn't catch much but after 10 minutes of "it's not my fault" and "if you have any better ideas I want to hear them", I had to shut him off.. Apparently I wasn't "shovel ready" enough to listen to his B rilliant S peech.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

all his policies aside, I think he blew too much on air time to the American people over the last year. The public gets tired easily and I think in general, people are sick of seeing him. He acknowledged it last night - he lost credibility.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I missed the speech last night. On the bright side, I did get to see some of the worst karaoke ever sung in the history of the world. Probably not much of a difference I guess.
Before scott or buckman get a chance.....

Both involve reading off a teleprompter.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Before scott or buckman get a chance.....

Both involve reading off a teleprompter.
See, I knew you could use that sense of humor even during the winter.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Looked like Republicans would rather save face than save the country . Supreme Court look like a bunch of old senile geezers ..Stone face homo phobic military .. Hate to break it to you,, gays are in the military now .. go with it ,.just a matter of time ..The "No" party probably had thier speech attacks written up the day before . Pres admitted he has made mistakes . (Bush never did) .. I'm sure if the country rebounds No party will take the credit.. Great Speech ,,, Best ever .. flame on ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Looked like Republicans would rather save face than save the country .
Or republicans have a very different view on what we need to save the country.Supreme Court look like a bunch of old senile geezers .
Whose role it is to defend and interpret the constitiion, you remember that old piece of paper...Stone face homo phobic military
or maybe they where waiting for the president to talk about our men and women dying in combat and his plans for victor vs. the suddenly pressing topic of gays in the military .. Hate to break it to you,, gays are in the military now .. go with it ,.just a matter of time ..
The "No" party probably had thier speech attacks written up the day before . Its funny, the no party is becoming more and more of the yes party to the average american once they undestand Obamas policies.
Pres admitted he has made mistakes . (Bush never did) .. I'm sure if the country rebounds No party will take the credit.. Great Speech ,,, Best ever .. flame on ..
thoughts above

Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
all his policies aside, I think he blew too much on air time to the American people over the last year. The public gets tired easily and I think in general, people are sick of seeing him. He acknowledged it last night - he lost credibility.
He's going on air next week with [I believe it's] Diane Sawyer in an INTERVIEW.

Last edited by saltfly; 01-28-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

1. It was way too long. Should have been over before 10pm
2. Pelosi is a tool, and has had way too much Botox
3. I think they should limit the clapping. Probably added 20minutes to the damn speech.

that being said.
I was a very well written and delivered speech. I like that he called out the courts for the recent idiotic decision on campaign financing. It was a stupid ruling.
I liked that the economy is front and center, and while more on Afghanistan and Iraq would have been good, economy should be front and center.

I think calling out the republicans to work with him is an interesting challenge... it could backfire on him. if they continue to be the say No party, and things improve, they will look good. If they work with the administration and things improve, they probably win less mid-term races. Unfortunately, they will probably err on the side of their own asses on both sides over what is best for us.
More discussion on climate change would have been nice, but I understand that the economy takes precedent. and for the record this liberal wacko has no problem with Nuc. Power. Just no more offshore drilling. Disposing and handling of Nuc. waste is less of an issue than is made out to be. Forget Yucca mountain, there are other ideas that are better.

As far as the blame section, Pat Buchanan was on NPR this morning as part of a panel and basically agreed with the statistics used in that part of the speech. It will be intersting to go back and look at Factcheck.org to see what it breaks down to.

The don't ask don't tell was a bone to those who say he hasn't lived up to any campaign statements.

I think it did a good job riling up the left, and to an extent pissing some off who are living and dying on health care, and it through down the gauntlet to the right.

we'll see.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
buckman

Brian,

As far as calling out the SC on a bad ruling, I'm wondering how you feel about Unions being able to donate and corporations being restricted? You won't see any SC justices at his next lecture...count on it. Obama's a disgrace.

Climate Change ???? I'm pretty sure they passed a law that we have to reduce our CO2 output by 83% by 2048. That's without Cap and Trade.... The climate changes....welcome to reality. It's been going on for millions of years
Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Buckman...
I don't have a problem banning unions either. individual donors only, except both corps and unions would find away around it.
They passed it as guidelines. and it's problem still not enough.

As far as lines like 'the climate changes.. welcome to reality'

I would argue that few on this board have read and know more about the changes our climate goes through on geologic time than I do. I'm not a climate scientist per say, but when you work on sediment deposited during the last ice age, you have to read a bit about climate.
but welcome to reality. I'll meet you there.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
See, I knew you could use that sense of humor even during the winter.
I wanted to be a slight bit wittier but I was running late for my physical and was too anxious to see if the hot brunette medical student would still be there to hernia check and squeeze my grapes.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Buckman...
I don't have a problem banning unions either. individual donors only, except both corps and unions would find away around it.
They passed it as guidelines. and it's problem still not enough.

As far as lines like 'the climate changes.. welcome to reality'

I would argue that few on this board have read and know more about the changes our climate goes through on geologic time than I do. I'm not a climate scientist per say, but when you work on sediment deposited during the last ice age, you have to read a bit about climate.
but welcome to reality. I'll meet you there.
I imagine the Supremes know a bit more about this subject and the Constitution

"I like that he called out the courts for the recent idiotic decision on campaign financing."

than a sediment scientist....but we're all entitled to our opinions

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...20court&st=cse

"Indeed, Mr. Obama’s description of the holding of the case was imprecise. He said the court had “reversed a century of law.”

The law that Congress enacted in the populist days of the early 20th century prohibited direct corporate contributions to political campaigns. That law was not at issue in the Citizens United case, and is still on the books. Rather, the court struck down a more complicated statute that barred corporations and unions from spending money directly from their treasuries
"

Last edited by scottw; 01-28-2010 at 08:27 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
striperman36
Old Guy

The NPR story on this , had a lobbyist who said they were doing this for years, now it just has to be under the law, reported as being by the union, company, etc.. More like fair disclosure. I got the sense from the article that it was more of a good thing, then a bad, hide the real contributors thing
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
EarnedStripes44

It was just a polite disagreement with the judgment of the supreme court.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #27
Backbeach Jake

Of, By and For the PEOPLE

Business donations represent who?
Union donations represent who?
Big difference there.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #28
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Where did all the pizazz goooooooooooo

Undeniably the worse state of the union address ever, spoken by a man who isn't exactly toast yet, but he certainly is talking like he isn't going to see a second term.

Do you miss me yet, say W.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #29
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Undeniably the worse state of the union address ever, spoken by a man who isn't exactly toast yet, but he certainly is talking like he isn't going to see a second term.

Do you miss me yet, say W.
Bush had around a 30% approval rating when he left office. While at the moment Obama is on track to match that, I doubt very many miss Bush.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Just a bunch of the usual rhetoric! Trying to rally the house with a bunch of sharp lines and empty promises! There is only one way to get that much fluff....you need alot of hot air! Now go out there and win one for the Gipper!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!