Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #31
Raven

Thumbs down What

Speech?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #32
scottw

glass half full of half empty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Bush had around a 30% approval rating when he left office. While at the moment Obama is on track to match that, I doubt very many miss Bush.
Ben Smith
The Politico

(via Political Wire)

Public Policy Polling:

Perhaps the greatest measure of Obama's declining support is that just 50% of voters now say they prefer having him as President to George W. Bush, with 44% saying they'd rather have his predecessor. Given the horrendous approval ratings Bush showed during his final term that's somewhat of a surprise and an indication that voters are increasingly placing the blame on Obama for the country's difficulties instead of giving him space because of the tough situation he inherited. The closeness in the Obama/Bush numbers also has implications for the 2010 elections. Using the Bush card may not be particularly effective for Democrats anymore, which is good news generally for Republicans and especially ones like Rob Portman who are running for office and have close ties to the former President.

I'd consider half ...."very many"
Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #33
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Business donations represent who?
Union donations represent who?
Big difference there.
Business?
The people that put America to work. Maybe even Employ you.

Unions?
According to recent data, Government workers....the people you employ......or maybe you work for

Why is it that people that support Obama and all his corporate handouts and bailouts also hate corporations?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #34
spence

I thought the address was pretty effective. Not perfect, but he did a very nice job of changing the direction of the debate and placing the GOP in the corner. Hell, we was nearly mocking them at times.

I'd note that the Republican response, while delivered well, was rendered pretty much moot by Obama's address.

Glad to see the call to get rid of don't ask don't tell.

-spence
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I thought the address was pretty effective.
-spence
that makes two of you......
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #36
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I thought the address was pretty effective. Not perfect, but he did a very nice job of changing the direction of the debate and placing the GOP in the corner. Hell, we was nearly mocking them at times.

I'd note that the Republican response, while delivered well, was rendered pretty much moot by Obama's address.

Glad to see the call to get rid of don't ask don't tell.

-spence
Spence - he's been mocking them for over a year. Whats it got him? Nothing. Believe it or not, Americans actually have a clue and are getting tired of his finger pointing. He has done more to polarize and divide than any president I can recall. This was a state of the union address, not a political rally.The non-partisian reality is that the majority of people are against his policies. Look at the polls.

Bryan - the supreme court decision specifically said that the decision did not include a ruling of foreign companies. Obama emphaiszed that it is allowed - very simply put - he lied. As Alitio mouthed - NOT TRUE. A fact is a fact and their is no opinion. Once again for someone who is supposed to be intelligent, he made enemies in a group of people who are there for life. Why? Whats to gain? When Obama is writing a book on his presidency and doing the college circuit, Alito will still be in his seat. The supreme court has the final say. Suprised a constituional law professor couldnt see there was no benefit in his making those statements in that forum.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
Nebe

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Think of how drastic this is, 7 out of 10 want to hear him talk about CHANGING DIRECTION!!!

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll, most Americans wanted the president to use Wednesday night's speech to move his administration in a new direction.

Seven out of 10 said they would like to see the president put forward proposals that would move his administration in a new direction this year, with 28 percent saying they'd like to hear Obama address the same goals and priorities he had in his first year in office.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #39
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Ben Smith
The Politico

(via Political Wire)

Public Policy Polling:

Perhaps the greatest measure of Obama's declining support is that just 50% of voters now say they prefer having him as President to George W. Bush, with 44% saying they'd rather have his predecessor. Given the horrendous approval ratings Bush showed during his final term that's somewhat of a surprise and an indication that voters are increasingly placing the blame on Obama for the country's difficulties instead of giving him space because of the tough situation he inherited. The closeness in the Obama/Bush numbers also has implications for the 2010 elections. Using the Bush card may not be particularly effective for Democrats anymore, which is good news generally for Republicans and especially ones like Rob Portman who are running for office and have close ties to the former President.

I'd consider half ...."very many"
I'd rather have surgery on my foot again than have abdominal surgery. That doesn't mean I miss having foot surgery.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #40
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
he . Suprised a constituional law professor couldnt see there was no benefit in his making those statements in that forum.
he wasn't a constitutional law professor...only an adjunct professor or something...Gibbs had to admit it a while back in a presser...yet another Obama myth...might explain the ignorance but not the arrogance
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #41
scottw

Quote:
I'd rather have surgery on my foot again than have abdominal surgery. That doesn't mean I miss having foot surgery.
if they cut off 5 of your ten toes...would that be "not very many"?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #42
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
if they cut off 5 of your ten toes...would that be "not very many"?
The nice thing for you about never making any sense, is that in your mind, you can never be wrong. You do a good job framing up nonsense and then trying to use that nonsense to support your position.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #43
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
The nice thing for you about never making any sense, is that in your mind, you can never be wrong. You do a good job framing up nonsense and then trying to use that nonsense to support your position.
I think that applies to our president as well.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #44
scottw

Quote:
dude...ask my wife...I'm wrong ALL of the time...

which nonsense?

"I'd rather have surgery on my foot again than have abdominal surgery. That doesn't mean I miss having foot surgery."
Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #45
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I think that applies to our president as well.
hey...don't lump me in with the Disppointment in Chief...