Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
JohnnyD

Mansfield School Cancels Holiday Concert After Parent Complaints

I know there are a lot of people on S-B.com from, formerly from, or have some other ties to Mansfield. Thought people might find this interesting (or enraging like me). Since there were comments of people not being grumpy enough in another post, I figured I'd fuel the fire.

"But the school’s principal told the local paper that after last year’s show, several moms and dads complained about the religious content of the program. So the school made the call to replace the holiday tunes with a Martin Luther King, Jr.-themed performance next month."
Mansfield School Cancels Holiday Concert After Parent Complaints CBS Boston

The inside scoop from a close friend who teaches in the music program at the high school is that a few parents who are atheist complained that the concert was too religious so the school folded and completely canceled the shows. Now they are going to have an MLK Jr.-themed performance.

Let's play devils advocate:
As a white male, should I not be just as offended that the atheist parents about the new concert? How is there a difference between atheists being angry about a concert with too much religion and a concert that reminds everyone of what my idiot ancestors did up to 50-60 years ago?

Listen, I'm not actually stating that is my opinion but what's stopping the school from being forced to cancel the new concert because some parents that don't care about being politically correct complain about that concert or complain about not having concerts about their heritage?

This stupidity really hits home because I performed in many of those evil holiday concerts as a kid. The nutjob atheists really would have been pissed when we performed over 25 minutes of Handel's Messiah.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

I am glad I am done there. But I still pay taxes in town, I think we have Christmas Parade, is that cancelled too?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

It's the train

It brought all those pinko athiest out to the country from Newton and Brookline.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I know there are a lot of people on S-B.com from, formerly from, or have some other ties to Mansfield. Thought people might find this interesting (or enraging like me). Since there were comments of people not being grumpy enough in another post, I figured I'd fuel the fire.

"But the school’s principal told the local paper that after last year’s show, several moms and dads complained about the religious content of the program. So the school made the call to replace the holiday tunes with a Martin Luther King, Jr.-themed performance next month."
Mansfield School Cancels Holiday Concert After Parent Complaints CBS Boston

The inside scoop from a close friend who teaches in the music program at the high school is that a few parents who are atheist complained that the concert was too religious so the school folded and completely canceled the shows. Now they are going to have an MLK Jr.-themed performance.

Let's play devils advocate:
As a white male, should I not be just as offended that the atheist parents about the new concert? How is there a difference between atheists being angry about a concert with too much religion and a concert that reminds everyone of what my idiot ancestors did up to 50-60 years ago?

Listen, I'm not actually stating that is my opinion but what's stopping the school from being forced to cancel the new concert because some parents that don't care about being politically correct complain about that concert or complain about not having concerts about their heritage?

This stupidity really hits home because I performed in many of those evil holiday concerts as a kid. The nutjob atheists really would have been pissed when we performed over 25 minutes of Handel's Messiah.
funny thing, Martin Luther King has a phd in bible study and was an extremely devout Christian. How'd you think he'd feel about this? Apparently his dream that you could walk hand in hand and not be judged by your beliefs has failed.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Just complain that the MJK concert is too black......there better be some friggin Carpenters, John Denver, and the Captain and Tenille on that playlist or all hell will break loose
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I sent a note to all my buds back in Mansfield. They all busted my balls on my cupcake crusade, now this. This isnt politics, this is about a small minority pushing their views on everyone else. My daughter sang in this concert, it was beautiful. the kids looked like little angels on stage.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote