Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
BIGMAX

Kiptopeke VA StriperGanza

I spent Wednesday thru Saturday in Kiptopeke and fished for two days at one of my favorite spots, the concrete ships. I did not have much luck with the Tautog, but the stripers were cooperative. I went out Thursday morning to trek to the Buoy about a mile or two out, when I noticed numerous pods of big fish being marked on my depthfinder just off the ramp. Seeing as I had a good paddle ahead of me, I thought I'd troll an eel on the way to keep a line in the water. five minutes into the paddle I locked horns with this 51" beast.
I caught four more fish on this trip, all of which were over forty inches. I lost about six fish, but was not sure if it was due to the circle hook I was using. When I switched to the J hook, the last two fish were badly gut hooked so I cut the line to release them. I was very pleased with the trip and everybody caught fish.I had time to meet and fish with some fine folks like Cory, Kevin, and David Hanie.I know this will be one of those trips I reflect on for times to come. Good Friends, Good Fishing = Good Times and Good Memories. I wish all Ya'll could have been there to share in the moment.

Tightlines
BIGMAX

Last edited by BIGMAX; 01-18-2007 at 08:04 AM..
BIGMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Nice Bass, err, Rock & Welcome to S-B

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Kevin M

I think you made up for not finding the Tog. Congrats!

Any more pics?
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Hobie Wan

Holy crap. That's a hell of a fish from the yak. Then again, that's a hell of a fish regardless of what you're fishing from.

Congrats!

HW

Last edited by Hobie Wan; 01-15-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Hobie Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
BIGMAX

I don't have any more striper pictures, but here is some pictures from a shark fishing trip I took. One is of my ride rigged to go out for the day, and the other is the fruits of my labor. I caught about five sharks that day, with this being the biggest at 7ft. It's not a sport for everybody. The big X-Factor I fish off of is a large enough platform to carry all the gear you are gonna need. I often pack a small tent and gear to shore camp a day or two while I am out on the VA barrier islands. I am trying my hand now at some big Blue Catfish on the James River. There have been numerous cats over sixty pounds pulled from the river. Should be fun.

Tightlines
BIGMAX

Old 01-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
fishsmith
DDG-51

Man I missed the boat when I was stationed in Norfolk by not fishing.
Nice pics keep em coming.
- Looks like the hard work you put in pays off.

BIGMAX - how far did the shark pull you?
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Spanish Fly

From your Yak!!!!! you are the man!!! I have fished for sharks a lot in South Florida and I know the kind of fight that these Majestic animals can put up so to do it from a Kayak it's simply AWESOME!!!!!!
Thank you for the pics and keep on getting 'r Done!!!!

SPANISH FLY
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Spanish Fly

By the Way Nice rig Too!!!!

SPANISH FLY
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
Raven

wow Bigmax

you freakin ROCK man....

i was wondering about your rig... since it's more loaded
than most i've seen and it looks ever so orderly...

how much gear weight do you think you carry...
and your weight combined... =equals _____.

you could keep us entertained by talking about
the method to your madness...
all winter... i think...

excellent photo's too ! great catch .... Congrats

and a big Welcome to S-B
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
BIGMAX

The shark didn't tow me too bad as I was anchored in for most of the fight. I didn't unlease the anchor til I saw the tail at the yak. I was worried he might make a hard dive and flip me which is when I unhooked him. Held the tip at the bow and let leverage do the work.
I am about 3bills myself, so I have to say I have about 400-450 total on board.Your scupper holes will let you know when enough is enough. My max limit is 600 on the X, and I just got a Prowler Big Game which holds 600 as well. I am dressing it up for the spring, and my son will get the X. I am by no means the fastest yak in the water, and I am jealous of those faster and sleeker units...but If you tote the gear I do (including myself)...then your choice is already made.
My motivation comes from all the local hazing I used get about kayak fishing. It seems that all the kayak jokes have settled down for the time being. Sure there's lots of places I'll never be able to go to in a yak, but I am going to give the big guys a run for thier money with the places I can go. My advice to you is ...DO IT! ...as this is'nt a dress rehersal and you only go around the block once.

Tightlines
BIGMAX
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
fishsmith
DDG-51

The only thing I'd suggest is a radar reflector.
Last year while trolling off p-town(where it goes from 10ft to 180ft real quick) the fog rolled in, the radar screen was clear, but then ... poof, out popped a yak, and he looked like this --> (or Reche Caldwell).

GO PATS!!
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #12
BIGMAX

While I have experienced this situation in the fog, I thought a series of horn blasts was the correct protocol while being underway in a fog. This is helpful to all boaters to be aware of each others presence to some degree when you cant see them. When I was out in the fog, I had a VHF radio, GPS (which funtioned well in the fog), and a loud horn to hail to others. It was a circus out there, as three boats didn't even have a compass or functioning radio, and not enough seamanship skills to to figure the shore's location by the flow of the tide. My horn saved me when boaters got close, and I even helped two crews to find thier way. They are proposing (but they have tried to before) to make it a requirement for all boaters to pass a seamanship/safety skills test in order to operate a craft on the water. I think we all could benefit from this, especially the little guys like us. I don't ask for any special treatment while on the water due to my size, but the standard courtesy and safety rules being observed correctly would greatly be appreciated. I am sure everybody on the water has had an experience where they can appreciate this. I just would like to see everybody return home safely to thier friends and families. Sometimes my safety gear overwhelmes me, but I wouldn't be on the water without it.

Tightlines
BIGMAX
Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
thortum

Nice fish & kayak. Are you homeless? It looks like you're living out of that thing! Where's the kithen sink? You have more gear in there than I own.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #14
BIGMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thortum View Post
Are you homeless? It looks like you're living out of that thing! Where's the kithen sink? You have more gear in there than I own.
Go heavy....or just go home! There's plenty of room on the porch to watch from!

get er'done
MAX
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
thortum

Just pulling your chain. Smile!
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote